Searching for Mr and Mrs Sracklen

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Searching for Mr and Mrs Sracklen

Post by Fernando »

I have been conducting a little search about this couple, sending some mails to people that could be one of them.
If I get something i will tell you all.
My first best bet is that both are fully retired, but perhaps Dan has a part in a software little company over there.
If we ever get contact and IF one of them is willing to tell things, what a great source of info we could get....!!!

My second best bet:
they are not interested in telling nothing to a bunch of crazy guy like the one that comes here.

My third best: you are interested in this legendary couple and what happened to them after his final failure competing against Lang.

Fern bet
Festina Lente
Larry

Re: Searching for Mr and Mrs Sracklen

Post by Larry »

Fernando wrote:I have been conducting a little search about this couple, sending some mails to people that could be one of them.
If I get something i will tell you all.
My first best bet is that both are fully retired, but perhaps Dan has a part in a software little company over there.
If we ever get contact and IF one of them is willing to tell things, what a great source of info we could get....!!!

My second best bet:
they are not interested in telling nothing to a bunch of crazy guy like the one that comes here.

My third best: you are interested in this legendary couple and what happened to them after his final failure competing against Lang.

Fern bet
Someone over at CCC or CTF mentioned that the Spracklens had
divorced a good while back and now live in separate cities. Meanwhile
if you drop into www.chesscomputers.org and scroll down there's an
interview of Kathe Spracklen from 1985, also a good while back.
I agree it would be good to get their thoughts on the early days.
L
ricard60

Post by ricard60 »

This is one of the most complete interview i have ever seen to Kate and Dan Spraklen. Is from the computer history museum

http://archive.computerhistory.org/proj ... 630821.pdf

Before this interview i believed that the Spraklens never programed on Z-80 but they did.
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

I have seen and listened this interview, but is its 2005 recipe I believe, so already old. The story about his divorce I have heard too, but also the contrary version that they are still together.
Alone or together, I want to know from them so many things about the past and the end of his career.
There is something sad -lot sad- in the fact that they were so important and now they has mainly disappeared in the middle of that fog that brings age, years and oblivion.

Life is sad regards
Fern
Festina Lente
IanO

Post by IanO »

Last I heard, they were retired in Eugene, Oregon. Their career after Fidelity took them to programmable sewing machines!
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

IanO wrote:Last I heard, they were retired in Eugene, Oregon. Their career after Fidelity took them to programmable sewing machines!
hahahaha
life is funny sometimes.
From Sargon to Singer or so....
Well, everybody need a hot meal once a day and for that better is a sewing machine than a Gov card to get food.
I hope they are healthy and well.

Fern
Festina Lente
Brian B

Post by Brian B »

A quick check on LinkedIn shows a Dan Spracklen in Eugene, Oregon listed as a computer software consultant and contractor. His profile just shows a simple listing, so not sure if he even monitors his LinkedIn email or pays much attention to it at all.
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

I sent a mail to that guy.
Maybe he will answer
you never know.
I myself never answer that kind of stuff

Fidelity send his regards
Fern
Festina Lente