The Future of Dedicated Chess Computer Players

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

The Future of Dedicated Chess Computer Players

Post by Fernando »

The grave, with a previous station in the old age home and without our toys. It will be probably a cheap old age home and we will be beaten by angry nurses and fed with disgusting cold soup.
One in a month we will be visited for five minutes by our wives or sons and we will ask "what happened to my collection?" and they will keep silence and will ask us if we are OK.

Fern
Festina Lente
Cyberchess

Re: The Future of Dedicated Chess Computer Players

Post by Cyberchess »

Fernando wrote:The grave, with a previous station in the old age home and without our toys. It will be probably a cheap old age home and we will be beaten by angry nurses and fed with disgusting cold soup.
One in a month we will be visited for five minutes by our wives or sons and we will ask "what happened to my collection?" and they will keep silence and will ask us if we are OK.

Fern
:x No way!
Never mind the chess computer collection; save an extra bullet for me.

Preparing for my match with Alekhine regards...

John
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

I can save a bullet for you. I have plenty.
Maybe before using mine I will shoot my full collection to take her out of her misery.
No garage selling of my stuff regards
Fern
Festina Lente
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

I am not worried
I have a "living dedicated chess computer" Will
it gives my executors/administrators explicit power and instructions..NOT to dispose of ANY of my computers should I become mentality incapacitated ..
the computers are to be kept in pristine condition and cared for with funds from my vast estate as long as I am alive...even if I am a vegetable living on life support systems
upon my death.. the executors are instructed to build a mausoleum to entomb my body and my casket it to be carved from the finest wood from my rarest wooden auto-sensory computers
any funds left over (if any) will go to my wife

Estate Planning Regards
Steve
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

Great idea that requires great financial assets. In my case, deprived as I am of any money, perhaps I could ask that to the common grave where my decomposed body will be throwed be added one of my already dead computers, Chess champion with preference.
The rest, if not cut in pieces by my gun, will end his days in a garage sale and will depart at two cents each.

Sadness be with you all
Fern
Festina Lente
Cyberchess

Post by Cyberchess »

Steve B wrote:I am not worried
upon my death.. the executors are instructed to build a mausoleum to entomb my body and my casket it to be carved from the finest wood from my rarest wooden auto-sensory computers

Estate Planning Regards
Steve
An Egyptian pharaoh would bring the travel collection and the servants along for the ride. Oh, and don’t forget to entomb that Fidelity technician.

Celestial journey planning regards…

John
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

Perhaps we could convince Steven Blincoe to be embalmed and putted in a glass cage with a computer in the Smithsonian Museum.
There is a British philosopher maintained in that way, Stuart Mill I believe, but without the chess computer. it would be an improvement...

Fern, embalmers Co.
Festina Lente
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Fernando wrote:Perhaps we could convince Steven Blincoe to be embalmed and putted in a glass cage with a computer in the Smithsonian Museum.
There is a British philosopher maintained in that way, Stuart Mill I believe, but without the chess computer. it would be an improvement...

Fern, embalmers Co.
I Like the Embalmed idea
perhaps i strike a pose where i am sitting at my desk with a chess computer in front of me..for all eternity..the chess computer would of course also have to be embalmed
come too think of it..this is not far from reality
i remember the first dedicated computers and how long it took them to move on their highest level
will get back to you on that

Codicil to the Will Regards
Steve
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Cyberchess wrote:

Estate Planning Regards
Steve
An Egyptian pharaoh would bring the travel collection and the servants along for the ride. Oh, and don’t forget to entomb that Fidelity technician.

John
Yes ..perhaps only a mausoleum is selling myself short
in order to fit my collection..
i should be thinking more along the lines of a

CXG Sphinx Regards
Steve
Hasimir

Post by Hasimir »

Cyberchess wrote:

Estate Planning Regards
Steve

John
Funny you mention ancient Egypt and chess. My grandfather was a fairly senior civil servant over here and when he retired (the year I was born) the department gave him a gift of a beautifully hand-carved chess set and board (actually a small table), which is now in my possession. The figures are carved in the form of Egyptian pharoahs and the like. It is without a doubt my favourite set of all time, though I rarely get to play with it.

So, having said that, I guess you probably want to see photos of it or something ... ;)
OpenPGP/GPG Key: 0x321E4E2373590E5D - BTC address: 18Ua6y7D65QatEDZ36dtWNWpG9Ttrd4eqy
Cyberchess

Post by Cyberchess »

Hasimir wrote:
Cyberchess wrote:

Estate Planning Regards
Steve

John
Funny you mention ancient Egypt and chess. My grandfather was a fairly senior civil servant over here and when he retired (the year I was born) the department gave him a gift of a beautifully hand-carved chess set and board (actually a small table), which is now in my possession. The figures are carved in the form of Egyptian pharoahs and the like. It is without a doubt my favourite set of all time, though I rarely get to play with it.

So, having said that, I guess you probably want to see photos of it or something ... ;)
Senet anyone?

Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

Great to see Blincoe to agree with the idea of being embalmed.
Now, with second thoughts, I think it is a too much narrow minded idea.
Why just Blincoe?
The full membership of this place should be.
Kind of a wax museum of old chaps with his old computers.
Beatiful scenes of Blincoe, monsieur Plastique, etc playing chess with big cigars in his dead mouths.
I offer myself to be embalmed as the guy that serves the coffee.
I wonder if someone want to play the role of the cashier selling the tickets. Blincoe I suppose....
We need also the champion of the house, some imposing personality of mighty presence. I think I can do that instead of the waiter rol
I accept new ideas.

Waxed regards
Fern
Festina Lente
Hasimir

Post by Hasimir »

Cyberchess wrote:
Hasimir wrote: Funny you mention ancient Egypt and chess. My grandfather was a fairly senior civil servant over here and when he retired (the year I was born) the department gave him a gift of a beautifully hand-carved chess set and board (actually a small table), which is now in my possession. The figures are carved in the form of Egyptian pharoahs and the like. It is without a doubt my favourite set of all time, though I rarely get to play with it.

Senet anyone?

Wow, I hadn't even been aware of that. It's kind of nifty, especially being so frequently included with burial customs. Anyway, I'll take some photos of Pa's old set later and post them.
OpenPGP/GPG Key: 0x321E4E2373590E5D - BTC address: 18Ua6y7D65QatEDZ36dtWNWpG9Ttrd4eqy
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

It happens to everybody that the most beautiful boards and pieces cannot be used for actual playing. They distract the attebntion, does not distinguish very well between them, etc.
Always they finish in a table as ornaments or in a closet or drawer or cellar with so many other derelicts and un-useful things...

Fern
Festina Lente
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Post by Harvey Williamson »

Fernando wrote: Beatiful scenes of Blincoe, monsieur Plastique, etc playing chess with big cigars in his dead mouths.

Waxed regards
Fern
Can you embalm plastic? If you melt him down maybe he can be used as embalming fluid!?