My First Fidelity

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
fourthirty

My First Fidelity

Post by fourthirty »

I didn't own any Fidelity chess computers in my small collection. However, last week found a deal on a Designer 2000 (Model 6102) & decided to pick it up.

I've enjoyed playing against it. One feature that I really like is the "64 Selectable Openings" option. It will allow me to work on middlegame strategy after particular opening sequence, without having to perform a cumbersome custom position setup (HCE also has a similar feature). It can also be used as a good tool to practice various opening lines (well, 64 of them to be exact!).

Is this a standard feature on most of the Fidelity Chess Computers, or unique to the Designer Models?

Can someone recommend a later (plastic) model that has a faster processor (and perhaps a larger opening book), but still retains this "Selectable Openings" feature?

Thanks!
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Congrats on your First Fidelity
i got my first one 37 Years ago
:P

i wouldn't say the "selectable book" feature is a common feature for Fidelity computers but several computers do have it

try to find a nice Par Excellence on Ebay
they are not hard to find
it was released earlier then the D2000 but it has the feature and is about 75 elo stronger then your Designer 2000

Selective Search Regards
Steve
Reinfeld

Post by Reinfeld »

Congratulations and thank you - you (and Steve) just told me something I didn't know about a machine I've owned for 20-plus years.

Got my first Fidelity in 87, I think - Excellence, my the bane of my chessplaying existence. It made me pound a lot of furniture. Same program as D2000 (right, Steve?), which was my second. I didn't know about clones then.

Best part of that machine was durability. My original finally gave out a year or so ago after decades of abuse. I bought another one.

My favorite option was BLACK FROM THE BOTTOM, which included a hilarious warning: SWITCHING TO THIS OPTION DURING A GAME IS NOT ADVISED.

My first D2000 came without a manual, so I didn't know about the 64-openings option until I read this post. I later picked up many more Fidelities of similar design (except for the wood stuff). I always assumed the bells and whistles were identical. Just didn't read closely.

It's interesting that the Fidelity "display" models from this period (D2000 and D2100) do NOT include the 64-opening feature. Ditto for the Mach III (2265) and Mach IV (2325). It appears to be unique to the Par and the D2000 and 2100 (sans display).

- R.
"You have, let us say, a promising politician, a rising artist that you wish to destroy. Dagger or bomb are archaic and unreliable - but teach him, inoculate him with chess."
– H.G. Wells
SirDave

Post by SirDave »

Reinfeld wrote:
It's interesting that the Fidelity "display" models from this period (D2000 and D2100) do NOT include the 64-opening feature. Ditto for the Mach III (2265) and Mach IV (2325). It appears to be unique to the Par and the D2000 and 2100 (sans display).

- R.
Thanks for your post because when I read above about the 64-opening feature on the D2000, I said, 'Hey, my D2000 doesn't have that (nor my D2265)', but I have the D2000 w/display, so that explains that!

Funny that Fidelity would delete a useful feature like that.

Sometimes Fidelity Doesn't Pay Regards,
Dave
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Reinfeld wrote: It's interesting that the Fidelity "display" models from this period (D2000 and D2100) do NOT include the 64-opening feature. Ditto for the Mach III (2265) and Mach IV (2325). It appears to be unique to the Par and the D2000 and 2100 (sans display).

- R.
two other computers with the Book selection feature that leap to mind ...

EAG 2100 and Sensory Champion
like the Sensory Champion i think a few of the earlier models had it..i.e. the Super 9
although to engage the feature you had to go enter a series of key strokes

Book Club Selection Of The Month Regards
Steve
fourthirty

Post by fourthirty »

Steve B wrote:Congrats on your First Fidelity
i got my first one 37 Years ago
Steve
Steve,

Wow! Was that the Chess Challenger 1? If yes - do you still own it and does it work?

Thanks for the advice on the Par Excellence. I'll keep an eye out for that one also!

Greg
fourthirty

Post by fourthirty »

Reinfeld wrote:Congratulations and thank you - you (and Steve) just told me something I didn't know about a machine I've owned for 20-plus years.

Got my first Fidelity in 87, I think - Excellence, my the bane of my chessplaying existence. It made me pound a lot of furniture. Same program as D2000 (right, Steve?), which was my second. I didn't know about clones then.

Best part of that machine was durability. My original finally gave out a year or so ago after decades of abuse. I bought another one.

My favorite option was BLACK FROM THE BOTTOM, which included a hilarious warning: SWITCHING TO THIS OPTION DURING A GAME IS NOT ADVISED.

My first D2000 came without a manual, so I didn't know about the 64-openings option until I read this post. I later picked up many more Fidelities of similar design (except for the wood stuff). I always assumed the bells and whistles were identical. Just didn't read closely.

- R.
Thanks Reinfeld! Glad to hear that machines are that durable.

I also laughed when I read the warning "SWITCHING TO THIS OPTION DURING A GAME IS NOT ADVISED" in the instruction manual.

I do have a copy of the D2000 manual - so if you need a list of the 64 opening lines I can send them to you. Without the manual it is certainly not intuitive on how to activate that option - selecting NEW GAME and then selecting the TAKE BACK key (and then selecting one of the 64 squares after all LEDs flash).

Greg
fourthirty

Post by fourthirty »

SirDave wrote: Thanks for your post because when I read above about the 64-opening feature on the D2000, I said, 'Hey, my D2000 doesn't have that (nor my D2265)', but I have the D2000 w/display, so that explains that!
You're welcome Dave. As I begin to research these classic computers, it doesn't appear that they evolved within their product lines in any sort of logical fashion! As computing power increased and memory got cheaper - features were dropped, openings books reduced, hash tables removed, etc on many of the newer units. I imagine this was done due to production costs & marketing product placement. Thank goodness for the schach-computer wiki, spacious-mind, and of course this forum to sort out the confusion!
SirDave

Post by SirDave »

It occurred to me that most of my Excalibur boards have an opening book trainer numbering 32-34 openings. That includes Grandmaster, Ivan II, Alexandra, King Arthur and the New York Times handheld.

I've only found them of limited use because they don't go very far, 5 to 7 moves (10-14 ply) and, of course, have only limited variations, if any (ie. often only the main line).
fourthirty

Post by fourthirty »

Steve B wrote: try to find a nice Par Excellence on Ebay
it was released earlier then the D2000 but it has the feature and is about 75 elo stronger then your Designer 2000
Hey Steve - I took your advice and was eventually able to track down a reasonably priced Par Excellence. I've really enjoyed playing against this little plastic green machine. Glad that it has the selectable opening option similar to the D2000. Thanks for the recommendation!
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

fourthirty wrote:
Steve B wrote: try to find a nice Par Excellence on Ebay
Hey Steve - I took your advice and was eventually able to track down a reasonably priced Par Excellence. I've really enjoyed playing against this little plastic green machine. Glad that it has the selectable opening option similar to the D2000. Thanks for the recommendation!
Hi 430
glad to hear you are enjoying your new Par

Par 4 Regards
Steve
Cyberchess

Post by Cyberchess »

Congratulations on obtaining the Par Excellence at this late date, Greg!

I bought one from the USCF catalog (circa 1986), and learned that if you use the “disable book” option and open with 1.) e4 as white, the Par will correctly calculate the moves of the Petroff Defense to considerable depth.

The Par Excellence was a price/performance milestone machine – selling for $169 + shipping for USCF members, and having been officially rated USCF 2100 by the CRA.

Here’s an article written by chess columnist, Humberto Cruz, back in June ’86.

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/1986-0 ... rute-force

Up To Par Regards,
John
fourthirty

Post by fourthirty »

Thanks guys. I am enjoying the unit.

Interesting article John.

The author states "Memory capacity is 256,000 bits of read only memory, 128,000 devoted to book openings and 128,000 devoted to the chess program. There are 64,000 bits of random access memory."

The Par's manual (and Spacious Mind) report 32K or ROM and 8K of RAM.
Cyberchess

Post by Cyberchess »

fourthirty wrote:Thanks guys. I am enjoying the unit.

The author states "Memory capacity is 256,000 bits of read only memory, 128,000 devoted to book openings and 128,000 devoted to the chess program. There are 64,000 bits of random access memory."

Hmmm... makes ya wonder if Fidelity pulled the ol’ switch-a-roo again… Like the time they rented the state-of-the-art Motorola chip to compete in the 1980 Microcomputer Championship...

:wink: Winning isn't everything... it is the only thing regards,
John
sc9

Post by sc9 »

Cyberchess wrote:
fourthirty wrote:Thanks guys. I am enjoying the unit.

Hmmm... makes ya wonder if Fidelity pulled the ol’ switch-a-roo again… Like the time they rented the state-of-the-art Motorola chip to compete in the 1980 Microcomputer Championship...

:wink: Winning isn't everything... it is the only thing regards,
John
Hi, New member here! I've been monitoring this forum for a while and figured it is time to join. To answer this question of bits versus bytes, both values are correct. This is because 1 byte is equal to 8 bits. So Fidelity multiplied bytes by 8 probably because advertising a larger number appears to be more impressive. I noticed the number of bits on the outside of the box, but in the owner's manual it had bytes.