My First Fidelity

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
fourthirty

Post by fourthirty »

sc9 wrote:I noticed the number of bits on the outside of the box, but in the owner's manual it had bytes.
Well, how about that - the article does say bits! Good catch sc9!
Cyberchess

Post by Cyberchess »

sc9 wrote:
Cyberchess wrote:
fourthirty wrote:Thanks guys. I am enjoying the unit.

Interesting article John.

The author states "Memory capacity is 256,000 bits of read only memory, 128,000 devoted to book openings and 128,000 devoted to the chess program. There are 64,000 bits of random access memory."

The Par's manual (and Spacious Mind) report 32K or ROM and 8K of RAM.
Hmmm... makes ya wonder if Fidelity pulled the ol’ switch-a-roo again… Like the time they rented the state-of-the-art Motorola chip to compete in the 1980 Microcomputer Championship...

:wink: Winning isn't everything... it is the only thing regards,
John
Hi, New member here! I've been monitoring this forum for a while and figured it is time to join. To answer this question of bits versus bytes, both values are correct. This is because 1 byte is equal to 8 bits. So Fidelity multiplied bytes by 8 probably because advertising a larger number appears to be more impressive. I noticed the number of bits on the outside of the box, but in the owner's manual it had bytes.
Welcome to the forum, SC9! You are absolutely correct about the bits versus bytes measurement. I’d grown so accustomed to seeing memory expressed in terms of bytes over the years that I totally overlooked this.

By the way, one of my chess playing friends purchased the Fidelity SC9 back in ’82.

Strolling Down Fidelity Lane Regards,
John