Analyze current position

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Opal

Analyze current position

Post by Opal »

Hi,
LOVE Hiarcs, I'm using the chess explorer on Mac, Windows and iPad......so yeah......you could say I love the software.

However I wanted to know if there's a way to have the chess engine give an evaluation based on my current position?

I know all I have to do is turn on the chess engine to get an evaluation but that evaluation is based on what happens after the suggested move order which can be several moves long and at that time quite different from what I have in front of me right now.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Opal

Post by Opal »

Does anyone have an idea if this is possible?

Thanks
Wardy

Post by Wardy »

In theory this is possible but it would be of reduced value, much of the strength derived from chess engines is their ability to look many moves into the future, looking for the possibilities many moves down the tree.

I don't believe any engines or gui's have the ability to show the evaluation of the root position, at least none I've come across anyway.

The nearest alternative would be to restrict the engine to only looking 1ply ahead?
Opal

Post by Opal »

Wardy,

Thanks for your help.
I recognize that there may be limited value to this but I've sometimes wanted to know exactly who is ahead given this very position, with a purely objective view of how things are right now.

Thanks