Saitek Blitz Kasparov - a support

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
dedicate computers

Saitek Blitz Kasparov - a support

Post by dedicate computers »

Hello, could someone explain to me what is the technology used in the chessman of the Saitek Blitz Kasparov? It's not auto sensory correct? I say this because I have one and I always have to calibrate the pieces. It would be better to use with batteries?
Thank for help me; Oswaldo.
pr1uk

Post by pr1uk »

The board was called a unique flash chessboard without reed contacts and without keys. All settings are made ​​through two side mounted dials.
Best to download the manual if you don't already have one.

http://alain.zanchetta.free.fr/docs/Sai ... litzUS.pdf

As for batteries they are quite expensive to buy i would not want to keep one in batteries if i played it often
King Performance Chess Computer M830
IanO

Re: Saitek Blitz Kasparov - a support

Post by IanO »

dedicate computers wrote:Hello, could someone explain to me what is the technology used in the chessman of the Saitek Blitz Kasparov? It's not auto sensory correct? I say this because I have one and I always have to calibrate the pieces. It would be better to use with batteries?
Thank for help me; Oswaldo.
I believe it is still auto sensory, but the only model which chose to use Hall-effect sensors instead of reed switches to detect the magnetic pieces. The advantages of Hall-effect sensors over reed switches are them being pure solid-state (nothing mechanical to break or stick) and continuous sensing. It can tell how strong the magnetic field is rather than simply toggling a switch on and off. That is probably why it has the calibration dials.
Mike Watters

Post by Mike Watters »

You can find the Saitek Blitz board patent on my website -

http://www.chesscomputeruk.com/html/patents.html

Click on the 'blueprint' for the full patent document. I think the document explains how the Blitz board is different from the normal auto sensory boards.

All the best
Mike
dedicate computers

Saitek Blitz

Hi Mike, I would like to know is what is the system that is used at the base of the pieces, if malfunctions I cannot recover?
ricard60

Post by ricard60 »

I believe that at the base of the pieces are normal magnets. I have chessmachines from more than 20 years and i have never had a faulty magnet. But you can compare the strength of the magnets from each chesspieces to see if probably one of them is weaker. Anyhow the sensor that have the hall efect is inside the board under each square. When talking about cailbrate probably is to compensate the slight weakness that some magnets can have during a long period of time.

I do not have a machine like this one but is what i can see from the drawings that are in the link that Mike post above.

Ricardo
dedicate computers

Chessman for Saitek blitz

Hello Ricardo, I have tested several magnetics for Saitek Blitz, I believe that is a different system. Can you help me? Thank you. Oswaldo
ricard60

Post by ricard60 »

Tell me something once you get to calibrate the pieces. Can you play a complete game with the machine with no problems?
dedicate computers

Saitek Blitz

Hi Ricardo, with original pieces I cannot complete the game. I will try calibrate the pieces, with normal pieces with normal magnetic. Ok? Oswaldo
dedicate computers

Saitek Blitz

with normal magnetics the system do not work Ricardo.
ricard60

Post by ricard60 »

This means that the original magnets have a particular magnetic filed strength that is different from the original ones. But as i wrote in my first post probably are not the magnets. They last for a very long time.

When you start playing how the fault comes up?
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

i own two Blitz boards
The Blitz is very prone to defects
i had one that went belly up a few years ago
it wasn't the pieces that caused the problem but it was the board itself
simply stopping recognizing any of the pieces when placed on the board
always a good idea to have a spare on hand for a model when it is known to have high defect rates

the Blitz can only be operated with the Special Blitz pieces
years ago i tried several different types of piece sets to see if they would work with the board but i didnt find any that did

Tossed It Off The Tip Regards
Steve
ricard60

Post by ricard60 »

This confirm that are not the magnets so is the hall efect sensor that are on each square. I believe this is one of the few examples where a mechanical switch (reed contacts) last longer than an electronic sensor. Probably that is why most of the autosensory boards went for reed contacts.

autosensory hall effect problem regards
Ricardo