HIARCS Chess Forums Forum Index HIARCS Chess Forums
World Championship winning computer chess software program & downloads for chess database, analysis and play on PC, Mac and iPhone

QuestionsQuestions   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 

Repeat performance issues with dedicated units?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HIARCS Chess Forums Forum Index -> Main Lobby / General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author
Cyberchess

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My opportunity to own a Cyberchess set while the modules were still being produced came and went on a warm summer day back in ’79. A fellow chess player and part-time chess equipment peddler brought a Cyberator unit to demonstrate in our chess park. He briefly explained how the unit worked and commenced a game on one of the chess tables. Several of us gathered around and corroborated on the next move while he operated the Cyberator and kept score on our group effort.

Fate would have it that I had just invested in a new television set, and being a student back then, was strapped for cash. One of the regulars at our chess clique made him an acceptable offer, and that would be my first and last Cyberchess experience for quite some time.

It would be approximately 20 years later – as ebay became a popular online shopping venue – when I would obtain my first unit. With the quite limited sales literature included with my set, I had initially believed that these were only produced from ’77 – ’80. I realized that this date range was in error when I came across that mega-set for sale on the bay (circa Y2K). This begs the question as to how long these units were being produced? As with chess equipment in general, it really is a niche market, and even with a protracted production run, finding these relics today is a whole lot harder than...

Cornering a Wooly Mammoth Regards,
John
Cyberchess

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve B wrote:

Amazing

the few Indexes I own only mention Amateur and Pro Modules ..not a word about any other Standard Modules other then the one Standard module included in the package with the TEST module which came with the CyberRater
i checked my Standard Module and it consists of 2 Amt games and 2 Pro games
I am actually enjoying searching for these modules
With so few chess computers left to search for ,these modules are fulfilling my Pre-Historic Primal Male Instinct To..

Hunt And Gather Regards
Steve

Okay, I believe that some of the confusion concerning these program packs is due to the so called “Standard” pack, which contains two amateur and two pro games. While these standard packs aren’t numbered as are the amateur and pro packs, I seem to recall encountering standard packs containing different amateur and pro games. All of the standard packs seem to be in the form of white envelopes with black lettering. As is with all the other program packs, the contents are listed on the envelope.

The program packs that I find the most interesting and challenging are the Pro packs which come in white envelopes with blue lettering. I also own program packs that come in cream envelopes with black lettering. One of our friends that occasionally posts here is apparently hosting photos of several Amateur packs that come in white envelopes with red lettering. The endgame modules (not pictured) I believe come in blue envelopes with black lettering.

Perhaps Maurice can shed some additional light on these enigmatic modules.

http://chesseval.com/Eldest/CyberChess.htm

Scroll down to see a photo of the 1984 Creative Computing magazine article on Cyberchess.

Cyber Research Regards,
John
vonderlasa

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:40 pm    Post subject: Cyberchess modules Reply with quote

Hi,
I would be interested in purchasing modules beyond the basic [or even quality photocopies]. PM me if you can help
Thanks in advance!
Richard
Cyberchess

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 2:04 am    Post subject: Come one, come all! Reply with quote

Razz Fellow Cyber-maniacs:

Thank heavens for Archive.org and the miracle of terminal emulation. Everyone that is reading this can experience the PC port of Cyberchess absolutely free with no special software or equipment required!

Please be patient as the files take time to load. Simply load the program, select your preferred module (Amateur or Professional), select your level of play, and do have a physical chess set nearby to play out the game.

Just click HERE and enjoy!

Cyber Jackpot Regards,
John
Steve B
Forum Elder

Full Name: Steve B

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cyberchess wrote:

Thank heavens for Archive.org and the miracle of terminal emulation

While i have no interest in Pc Emulations of Paper Simulations or Dedicated Chess computers, i did break my own rule and load up the program in the interest of research to see if the emulation might have a listing of ALL of the modules ever released for sale

sadly the emulation only lists 4 games which i believe were part of the Standard module so i quickly shut down the program

CyberSecurity Regards
Steve
Cyberchess

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve B wrote:
Cyberchess wrote:

Thank heavens for Archive.org and the miracle of terminal emulation

While i have no interest in Pc Emulations of Paper Simulations or Dedicated Chess computers, i did break my own rule and load up the program in the interest of research to see if the emulation might have a listing of ALL of the modules ever released for sale

sadly the emulation only lists 4 games which i believe were part of the Standard module so i quickly shut down the program

CyberSecurity Regards
Steve

Being that the paper modules are rarer than a three-toed stegosaurus these days, I considered purchasing the digital equivalents for Apple or TRS through one of the old DOS program vendors. However, running Cyberchess or other DOS programs on 64-bit Windows is quite impossible sans terminal emulation, and I’m somewhat leery of running said on my PC that I also use for business.

Thanks to Archive.org I now know that the PC port of Cyberchess cost $29.95 in 1984, included the “Standard” module with 2 Amateur and 2 Professional games, with additional Amateur or Professional modules available at an unspecified cost.

C.A. Johnson wrote a nice little review from the perspective of a neophyte amateur in Vol. 10 Number 9 of “Creative Computing” magazine archived HERE.
Special thanks to Maurice M. Ohayon for posting this link on his ADINFER-ChessEVAL website.

I suspect that the dearth of additional modules for use with the archived digital version is due to the fact that these were released originally on 5&1/4” floppy discs. Much of my early college programming assignments are stored in this archaic format – invented subsequent to copper chisels and baked clay tablets. Perhaps one day I will unearth these and transfer them to modern media by way of an external USB 5&1/4” floppy drive for future generations to enjoy.

In this way, Cyberchess modules purchased on 5&1/4” media could be donated to the org for the benefit of mankind.
We had best revert to our analog roots soon, lest we risk becoming soulless chess-playing androids. Confused

Cyber Archaeology Regards,
John
Steve B
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cyberchess wrote:

Being that the paper modules are rarer than a three-toed stegosaurus these days,

Thats the whole point really
would be no challenge and no fun at all if they were easy to come by

XXX HardCore Collecting Regards
Steve
Cyberchess

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve B wrote:
Cyberchess wrote:

Being that the paper modules are rarer than a three-toed stegosaurus these days,

Thats the whole point really
would be no challenge and no fun at all if they were easy to come by

XXX HardCore Collecting Regards
Steve

Well, a cursory check on ebay this morning left me high and dry, so I’ll be returning to the digital peepshow as my sole source of Cyber-stimulation.

Being limited to merely one Standard module is, however, a bit of a...

Shocked Cyber-Tease Regards,
John
Cyberchess

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Feb. 2011 a large Cyberchess set consisting of 75 Amateur and 74 Professional modules was sold on ebay.
Anyone with a WorthPoint account could sign in and let us know what it sold for.

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-cyberchess-cyber-enterprises-134724986

Cyber Appraisal Regards,
John
Steve B
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cyberchess wrote:
In Feb. 2011 a large Cyberchess set consisting of 75 Amateur and 74 Professional modules was sold on ebay.
Anyone with a WorthPoint account could sign in and let us know what it sold for.

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-cyberchess-cyber-enterprises-134724986

Cyber Appraisal Regards,
John

wow
149 modules..
a total of 596 games/endgames.
that's way more then the last Index I had showing about 106
Amt/Pro modules

strangely the photo in the auction only shows a few modules

CyberCity Regards
Steve
Cyberchess

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve B wrote:
Cyberchess wrote:

Cyber Appraisal Regards,
John

wow
149 modules..
a total of 596 games/endgames.
that's way more then the last Index I had showing about 106
Amt/Pro modules

strangely the photo in the auction only shows a few modules

CyberCity Regards
Steve

Yes, and why weren’t these endgame modules tallied up separately Question

Cyber Census Regards,
John
Cyberchess

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This morning I was perusing the ebay listings when I happened upon this vintage chess advertisement from 1969.
Take note of the “Computer Games” section (lower left). It contains 3 Cyber-type sports games that I have dubbed: “Cyber-Football;” “Cyber-Hockey” and “Cyber-Basketball”.
These games are said to contain “computer-type” circuits for more enjoyment than ever.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1969-Vintage-Ad-Pages-for-Classic-Chess-Sets-Games-Gothic-Renaissance-Cavalier-/160851802131?hash=item257383b813

Cool Cyber World Regards,
John
jarek

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cyberchess wrote:
I considered purchasing the digital equivalents for Apple or TRS through one of the old DOS program vendors. However, running Cyberchess or other DOS programs on 64-bit Windows is quite impossible sans terminal emulation, and I’m somewhat leery of running said on my PC that I also use for business.

Dear John,
would you please be so kind and provide me with contact data to this vendor?
thank you!
Jarek
Cyberchess

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jarek wrote:
Cyberchess wrote:
I considered purchasing the digital equivalents for Apple or TRS through one of the old DOS program vendors. However, running Cyberchess or other DOS programs on 64-bit Windows is quite impossible sans terminal emulation, and I’m somewhat leery of running said on my PC that I also use for business.

Dear John,
would you please be so kind and provide me with contact data to this vendor?
thank you!
Jarek

Sorry for the tardy response, Jarek.

Years ago, I knew of several software vendors that frequented the national computer show circuits throughout the eastern US. Subsequently, many of the defunct software vendors listed offerings online, though I don’t know of any listings specifically for the Cyberchess data sets. If you’re looking to purchase Cyberchess modules or data discs, do check e-Bay periodically. They aren’t very common these days, though they do turn up occasionally.

Time and Tide Regards,
John
Cyberchess

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone is interested in trying out the digital version of Cyberchess from 1984, you can start playing right away by means of terminal emulation through a DOS box, but unfortunately you will only have access to a single mixed module consisting of 2 amateur and 2 pro games.

https://archive.org/details/a2_Cyberchess_19xx_Cyber_Enterprises

Shocked Where are all the other modules???

Cyber Tease Regards,
John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HIARCS Chess Forums Forum Index -> Main Lobby / General Discussions All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: