HIARCS support for DGT Board

Get your specific HIARCS/Junior support questions answered here as well as up-to-the-minute news!

Moderators: Watchman, Mark Uniacke, mrudolf

SFK3

Post by SFK3 »

I contacted DGT again asking for a status (-> "maybe release summer (2015)").

There is no new date or official status, unfortunately.
But they have asked for some Mac related details.
Hopefully other Mac user will also contact DGT through their website, too.
This will make this feature request more relevant.
Here's the link
http://www.digitalgametechnology.com/in ... rvice-form
StevenInkster

Post by StevenInkster »

I contacted DGT support today about Mac compatibility; I received a prompt and friendly reply, the key part of which was:

It’s on my wish list a long time but till now we have not made progress in developing this feature. Could you tell me how you plan to use it on a Mac? It might help me to pull some strings.

If we do get all the components for DGT support, and DGT boards still do not have LEDs, perhaps HIARCS could implement the feature of having a voice announce its moves?

Yup, not asking for much :)

Steven.
SFK3

Post by SFK3 »

Hello Steven,

Thanks for posting the information!

Well, the questions from DGT sometimes confuse me.
Though I appreciate that they stay in the communication - at least.

If they ask "how (do) you (wanto to) use a DBT board on a Mac?" the answer can be as simple as "Like I do on a PC."
Or better to say: Like I want to use an e-board.

So, consumer's (we) and manufacturer's (DGT) and chess software supplier (Hiarcs) might have slightly different views on the same topic.
Some examples:

1. DGT is great for tournaments, live broadcast etc. - we see it in every tournament world wide.
But to use Live Theatre S/W for a privat play at home? Too laborious!

2. To play over the board AND over the internet at the same time is a beautiful idea for consumers.
Chess S/W can provide this feature I am pretty sure, but where and how to connect it to the hardware?
Who to provide the driver (DGT?, open source?, software supplier?)
What about up-dates and even the features of the driver itselves?

3. Private training, game database of own games, extended analysis (i.e. time per move - standard feature in DGT way of pgn-file, but no feature in chess S/W) can be valuable features for consumers.

Sumarizing:
What do consumers (really) want and need?
What can DGT and S/W developer provide - or are they willing or even able to do?
And finally the main question: What is the business case like for all these efforts?

(The consumer world and the professional world need to get a mutual understanding!)

If this - for example - would be a discussion between three departments within a company, what would we do?
Right: We would simply schedule a workshop with personal attendance(!) and try to sort out!
Maybe with some "homework" for everybody, but (hopefully) with a clear committment on when delivering which results....Final meeting for decision....executive presentation....That's it.

Why not?

The only issue: How to start? / Who can take the lead?

P.S.
And if the result of such workshop is some kind of "not willing", "no commercial base", "techn. impossible" etc., it comes to a quick end - which is by far better than being squelched to no result over years.
SFK3

DGT e-Board support not before Summer

Post by SFK3 »

Maybe this post brings it to light
http://www.hiarcs.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7904
Cheers
SFK3

Post by SFK3 »

Hello Mark,

is there any update on the willingness of DGT to support the Mac and HCE?
Thanks for your info
Cheers
Uwe
fourthirty

Post by fourthirty »

SFK3 wrote:Hello Mark,

Thanks for your info
Cheers
Uwe
+1

Would love an update on this Mark!

What can we do to help the cause? Contact DGT again?

Greg
shiv

Post by shiv »

fourthirty wrote:
SFK3 wrote:Hello Mark,

Thanks for your info
Cheers
Uwe
+1

Would love an update on this Mark!

What can we do to help the cause? Contact DGT again?

Greg
I have supported native DGT mode here in https://github.com/sshivaji/dgt-uci-engine

You can use the DGT board as a UCI engine (works even with Hiarcs). However, its better if the Hiarcs developers can support DGT engine natively. Refer to https://github.com/sshivaji/dgt-uci-eng ... r/pydgt.py for a fully functional DGT driver for Mac/Linux or any OS, should even work fine on Iphone or Android if needed.

All the code is available from the above link.