Clash of Titans

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Cyberchess

Clash of Titans

Post by Cyberchess »

If you blinked, you missed it.

http://www.slate.com/articles/sports/sp ... ned.1.html

Chess History Regards,
John
Brian B

Post by Brian B »

I was one of the lucky ones to attend this event in person as I reside in the St Louis metro area and am a member of the club. Us locals are quite fortunate to have this club in town. Rex Sinquefield is a chess enthusiast with a ton of money and isn't afraid to spend it on all things chess.

This is a great club. That said, it is not the best venue to watch a chess event live. Not a great deal of space to watch in the tournament room. This tournament room is probably 20x40 square feet or close to that. If you are not one of the first 25 people or so, forget it as you probably won't be able to see over the shoulders of the ones standing in the front near the players. Of course, people do rotate out after a time and you get a chance to watch up close and personal. Anyone that has attended any of the GM events knows this already and will usually opt for Lester's restaurant or go across the street to the World Chess Hall of Fame. Plenty of seating available with food and drink, plus entertaining GM commentary. Plus, you can always catch the event online, too.

Caruana was the talk of the tournament. Everyone at the club was buzzing about his performance. There were articles in the local newspaper with chess on the front pages. Don't see that too often around here. Most entertaining was the fun event following the main event. This amateur/GM match was full of belly laughs and one-line quips, both of which one doesn't usually see with a roomful of Grandmasters playing in a match.

Hopefully there will be a 3rd Sinquefield Open next year, maybe with even more Super GMs!

Super tourney regards,
Brian
Cyberchess

Post by Cyberchess »

Brian, I envy you for being able to view this historic event, albeit in a cramped setting. Caruana was clearly waxing in chess stature, but I didn’t expect this. After I don’t know how long (hundreds of years?), Italy finally becomes a chess superpower with America’s youngest grandmaster. There’s some additional coverage/games HERE.

Whatever the outcome of November’s match, the winner will likely be facing Fabiano in the next championship bout.

On another note, it seems that Carlsen has serious issues with FIDE’s conditions for the upcoming match with Anand. Will the show go on at this point?

Waiting to see regards,
John
fourthirty

Post by fourthirty »

Thanks for sharing John!
Cyberchess

Post by Cyberchess »

Greetings Greg:

:) It’s great to hear that some of us still enjoy an old fashioned human bout from time to time.

Here’s a replay of the Carlsen Caruana dance on YouTube.

Enjoy and regards,

John