My latest aquisition...

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Larry

My latest aquisition...

Post by Larry »

My wish list is nearing completion now. Anyone got an Excel Mach4 they
want to sell me? No? Then how about an Avant Garde V10? No?...
A TASC R30?...Still no?... hard to please, aint I?

https://a3-images.myspacecdn.com/images ... 00x300.jpg

I already had an original Master Series box, had it for years, just waiting
for a DM4 to come along.
Larry
Steve B
Site Admin

Re: My latest aquisition...

Post by Steve B »

Larry wrote:My wish list is nearing completion now
Wish lists are a very tricky thing Larry
once you come close to finding everything on the list its best to add a few more items to it..very hard to find items.. at that

its a well known fact that once a collector finds everything on his list

He Will Die Regards
Steve
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Steve B wrote:
Larry wrote:My wish list is nearing completion now
Wish lists are a very tricky thing Larry
once you come close to finding everything on the list its best to add a few more items to it..very hard to find items.. at that

its a well known fact that once a collector finds everything on his list

He Will Die Regards
Steve
It's called a Bucket List :P
Nick
Monsieur Plastique

Post by Monsieur Plastique »

Steve B wrote:its a well known fact that once a collector finds everything on his list He Will Die Regards
Steve
Does the opposite hold true? So long as they don't fulfil the wishlist they stay alive? :P that being the case, you are guaranteed immortality, since you know as well as I do that you never find that mint Savant with a working LCD screen that is undoubtedly on your wishlist. And I'll never find a factory sealed Mark V so I guess I could be in for a long innings too.
Chess is like painting the Mona Lisa whilst walking through a minefield.
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Monsieur Plastique wrote:
Does the opposite hold true? So long as they don't fulfil the wishlist they stay alive? :P
Yes...exactly correct
thats why i recommended that Larry add "hard to find " items to his wish list
prolongs life expectancy far better then any regiment of healthy diet and exercise

a glimpse into my remaining wish list:
CLJ L'Emperour(once owned but i traded it away like a moron)
Fidelity EAG V8 and V10
Peri Alpha
Scisys Sensor Chess Hyper Modern and Classical Style modules(different from Super Hyper and Super Classical modules)

it should be noted that adding.. Prototypes OR Modified OR One-Of-A-Kind used in an official tournament .. computers ...to the wish list do not prolong life ..only computers actually released for sale qualify. as a result i have never considered them worthy of collecting

The L'Emperour is iffy because i did once own it ..so i dont know if i will remain alive if that is the only computer I have left on my list?
probably not

The Chess Computer Of Dorian Grey Regards
Steve
Monsieur Plastique

Steve B wrote:Scisys Sensor Chess Hyper Modern and Classical Style modules(different from Super Hyper and Super Classical modules)
I seem to remember we discussed this years ago. There were at least four modules for this weren't there? Here in Australia we could only get the 4K modules that I am aware, so you could buy the basic Sensor Chess (grey finish) and then the 4K Classical and 4K Hypermodern modules. Then I think there were 2K modules which I have never seen myself.

And of course we had the Sensor chess plus those two 4K modules. And we traded it in!!! The only reason I don't wish I still had it today is that I remember it ran so hot that the playing surface actually lifted up due to the heat build up. Seriously, you could have used that machine as a food warmer!
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Steve B wrote:Scisys Sensor Chess Hyper Modern and Classical Style modules(different from Super Hyper and Super Classical modules)
I seem to remember we discussed this years ago. There were at least four modules for this weren't there? Here in Australia we could only get the 4K modules that I am aware, so you could buy the basic Sensor Chess (grey finish) and then the 4K Classical and 4K Hypermodern modules. Then I think there were 2K modules which I have never seen myself.

And of course we had the Sensor chess plus those two 4K modules. And we traded it in!!! The only reason I don't wish I still had it today is that I remember it ran so hot that the playing surface actually lifted up due to the heat build up. Seriously, you could have used that machine as a food warmer!
There were 5 modules in total:
Classical
Hyper Modern
Strong Play
Super Hyper Modern
Super Hyper Classical

The first two continue to elude me
actually i think Sensor chess is a beautiful looking computer with the board LEDS recessed...under the playing surface ..a unique design

while we are on the subject of modules...
this year i was able to acquire an extremely rare Fidelity book module ...the TDF(in box with manual)
as usual when capturing a very rare bird from the wild.. my feelings were bitter sweet

Sweet ..to finally have it
Bitter..because i am now one step closer to...

The Crematorium Regards
Steve
Monsieur Plastique

Steve B wrote:actually i think Sensor chess is a beautiful looking computer with the board LEDS recessed...under the playing surface ..a unique design
Yes, I completely agree. It was a beautiful machine and the subterranean LED lights were a wonderful feat of technical and aesthetic engineering. Furthermore, the plastics used for both the chassis and trim were exquisite - high quality, durable, tough, thick and textured. It was an engineering masterpiece, just like the contemporary Mark V. Together with the heavy duty heatsinks and I venture to suggest that Sensor Chess had the heaviest and most rugged chassis of it's size of any dedicated chess computer ever produced. This was the epitome of plastic technology in dedicated machines and it all went downhill from there - even with the non-holz Mephistos!
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

You should know that there is certain computer that, if purchased, bring immediate death to the possessor. It is tainted with an old malediction from his first owner.

Beware regards
Fern
Festina Lente
Larry

Post by Larry »

Fernando wrote:You should know that there is certain computer that, if purchased, bring immediate death to the possessor. It is tainted with an old malediction from his first owner.
It's not this one, is it?

https://a2-images.myspacecdn.com/images ... 00x300.jpg

Maybe if I sell it I will have some good luck for a change. It is a nice
machine with it's own power adaptor included in the box. Built like a
German tank. The modules give it a sharp increase in playing strength,
although admittedly from a fairly low level.
My collection is in it's consolidation phase and the Scysis Sensor was
on the list of those earmarked for sale. However, I am having second
thoughts.
Jon, you mentioned trading your Sensor chess in. Looking at the
pictures, does mine look familiar to you? I bought it from Peter Parr
some years back, just wondering if he got it from you.
Larry
Monsieur Plastique

Hi Larry,

I 99% reckon that is the one! Small world, isn't it!!??
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

Larry wrote:
Fernando wrote:You should know that there is certain computer that, if purchased, bring immediate death to the possessor. It is tainted with an old malediction from his first owner.
It's not this one, is it?

https://a2-images.myspacecdn.com/images ... 00x300.jpg

Maybe if I sell it I will have some good luck for a change. It is a nice
machine with it's own power adaptor included in the box. Built like a
German tank. The modules give it a sharp increase in playing strength,
although admittedly from a fairly low level.
My collection is in it's consolidation phase and the Scysis Sensor was
on the list of those earmarked for sale. However, I am having second
thoughts.
Jon, you mentioned trading your Sensor chess in. Looking at the
pictures, does mine look familiar to you? I bought it from Peter Parr
some years back, just wondering if he got it from you.
Larry

No, it is not. You can be at peace with it....
The one under a bad spell is Chess Challenger 9. I have two and both defective. I sent them to a electronic expert and he say he can fix only one.
Tears in my face regards
Fern
Festina Lente
Monsieur Plastique

Fernando wrote: The one under a bad spell is Chess Challenger 9. I have two and both defective. I sent them to a electronic expert and he say he can fix only one.
But at least the non-working one can become a parts donor. Not everything in it will be broken, so make sure you hold onto it for spares. Even in a worst case scenario it can become a source of plastic inspiration for you, since those old Fidelity gelato plastics had their own allure, aroma and texture, providing dizzying heights of ecstasy to the beholder, only equalled by the real thing.
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

Fernando wrote: The one under a bad spell is Chess Challenger 9. I have two and both defective. I sent them to a electronic expert and he say he can fix only one.
But at least the non-working one can become a parts donor. Not everything in it will be broken, so make sure you hold onto it for spares. Even in a worst case scenario it can become a source of plastic inspiration for you, since those old Fidelity gelato plastics had there own allure, aroma and texture, providing dizzying heights of ecstasy to the beholder, only equalled by the real thing.
I am not doc Frankestein, mister, to create beings from corpses....besides the price for dfxing one was to deliver the other...

technicians are vultures regards
fern
Festina Lente
Monsieur Plastique

Fernando wrote: the price for dfxing one was to deliver the other...

technicians are vultures regards
fern
Just as well it was not two Fidelity Elite Avantgarde machines were are talking about then. Sounds like the "payment" for those would have been one machine, two kidneys and you'd be left with the dialysis bill too.