Vintage Chess Computers for sale on Ebay from HOS

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Chessbama

Vintage Chess Computers for sale on Ebay from HOS

Post by Chessbama »

Hello,
I'm new to this forum. I work for The House of Staunton and we have a stash of Chess Computers from various CRA events ranging from 1988 to 1997. Our former owner, Frank Camaratta, took possession of these when various manufacturers sent him their computers for competition. We sold a Fidelity Avant Garde and an Elite Premier on ebay within the past 3 weeks. I just noticed this site and saw there are still people looking for these. Thought I'd drop a plug and let you know what will be going up on the House of Staunton ebay store within the next few weeks. We have a Super Connie, Two Novag Super Experts, some Sphinx travel comps, a couple Kasparov RISC2500's. We have a GK2100 going up on ebay Sunday. Mephisto Milano's etc... Most of these were used only once in competition (U.S Open 1997 and other events back then when comps were allowed to compete). We have many more comps besides the ones I listed. I just wanted to make these auctions known just in case somebody is interested in our stock. We also have one Portorose 68030. We'll be listing one comp a week, typically every Sunday. Have a Novag Emerald up there right now. Thanks for reading and feel free to contact us via e-mail ( won't let me post an e-mail addy since it's my first post) or give us a call at 256 858-8070.
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Hi
Thanks for the notification

I was wondering...
is the following auction in some way related to the HOS?
different sellers name and location but similar wording used in the HOS auctions for the EAG 2100 and Elite Premiere:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-MINT-Mephi ... 1495878324

Thanks
Regards
Steve
Chessbama

Post by Chessbama »

Thanks for pointing that out. The auction you linked to isn't related to us, but the wording is strangely similar. We got a guy suspended from Ebay for cloning our last two auctions. I looked at the one you linked me to, it seems you are correct and he just paraphrased our description of the item. Including the bit about pairing it up against a local expert. The guy could very well be legit but I think it's possible he saw how well our Avant Garde did and decided to market his comp with the same desc. Namely focusing on the part where it was stored for 20 years etc... He could very well be telling the truth, but what are the odds? Our comps were originally sent here to be used in OTB tournaments from the 90's so there's a logical reason for our computers to be new. In any event, thank you for reading my post and feel free to shoot us an e-mail with any questions you may have. If you see a computer up there that doesn't come with an AC adapter and you really need one to seal the deal, we can purch one from local radio shack for roughly $27.00 and throw it in. We proactively do it with the high end computers but don't want to do it with comps that might sell for not so much ( Our Emerald is only up to $42.00, was hoping for more lol).
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Thanks for your reply

I assume that Portorose 68030 is the Mephisto Tournament machine ?
if so...depending on condition ...you will do very nicely in that auction
my guess is you will perhaps double what you sold the EAG 2100 for
you will need to sell it with its special adaptor..so hopefully you still have it
the adaptor for that computer is actually harder to find then the computer itself

$4500 Ish Regards
Steve
Chessbama

Post by Chessbama »

We have the power supply. The first time I saw it I thought it was one of this cigarette lighter power adapters. Thanks for the feedback. I've heard that was a rare one. Is one of the more interesting computers I've gotten to mess with. Turned it on today and was surprised by the sound of cooling fans.
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Chessbama wrote: Our Emerald is only up to $42.00, was hoping for more lol.
Hi
in the auction Description there seems to be an incorrect reference to the Elite Premiere as follows:

ABOUT THIS FIDELITY ELITE PREMIER CHESS COMPUTER
Computer name: Novag Emerald

you might want to correct that

Reviewing Regards
Steve
Chessbama

List of Comps

Post by Chessbama »

Thank you Steve B for pointing out the typo. We'll be more careful about that next time. Here is a list of Comps we'll be putting up on ebay ( one a week, not necessarily in the order given below ) If anybody sees one they want to go up quickly, please let us know.
Novag Emrald Classic
Mephisto Milano Pro
Mephisto Milano Pro
Kasparov GK2100

Novag Emrald
Novag Zircon II
Nozag Zircon II
Sphinx Legend CXG301
Sphinx Legend CXG301
Executive Kasparov

Kasparov Travel Champion 2100
Sphinx Accolade CXG-808
Sphinx Accolade CXG 808
Kasparov Travel Champion 2100
Fidelity Travel Master Model 6122
Fidelity Travel Master Model 6122
Novag Emerald Classic
Kasparov Turbo Advanced Trainer
Mephisto Mega IV
Novag Diamond
Novag Diamond
Kasparov Turbo Advanced Trainer
Fidelity Designer Series Display 2100 model 6113
Novag Super Constellation Box
Mephisto 68000 XL Box
Mephisto 68000 XL Box
Kasparov President Clayton
Kasparov RISC 2500
Excel 68000
Kasparov Alchemist
Kasparov President
Portorose 68030
Fidelity CLassic CC8
Novag Ruby
Excel 68000
Fidelity Par Excellence model 6083
Kasparov RISC 2500
Steve B
Site Admin

Re: List of Comps

Post by Steve B »

Chessbama wrote:

Kasparov President Clayton
A handsome collection of chess computers

not sure what the Clayton is?
i own a Kasparov President but the Clayton name is new to me
would you perhaps have a photo of this computer?

Curious Regards
Steve
Monsieur Plastique

Post by Monsieur Plastique »

I am very curious myself. Here in Australia, the term "Clayton's" entered the vernacular some years back and is used to describe something inferior or a cheap imitation of something! I am also interested to know in the case of "doubles", whether they are both in similar condition or whether perhaps one of them was truly mint (i.e an un-used spare).
Chess is like painting the Mona Lisa whilst walking through a minefield.
Chessbama

Post by Chessbama »

Lol,sorry about that guys. I pasted my internal list of computers that had their locations in our inventory typed next to them. One of them is in a large wooden crate that a guy named Clayton built for us so I originally had "Clayton box" typed next to it.
Chessbama

Post by Chessbama »

We're putting a Fidelity Designer 6113 on Ebay at some point Sunday evening. Just wanted to send a heads up to anybody who might want one.
Chessbama

Post by Chessbama »

Minor error to the list I posted. We have "Mephisto Montreux" 's in our Kasparov RISC 2500 boxes. I haven't had time to in depth research it yet but they appear to be very similar. We'll be listing one on Sunday as well as a Novag Super Expert 96k.
xchessg

Post by xchessg »

Chessbama wrote:Minor error to the list I posted. We have "Mephisto Montreux" 's in our Kasparov RISC 2500 boxes. I haven't had time to in depth research it yet but they appear to be very similar. We'll be listing one on Sunday as well as a Novag Super Expert 96k.
Yes, Montreux appeared later then RISC 2500, is similar and rarer: HOS is lucky again, Montreux usually brings a higher bid then the RISC 2500.

But two Montreux's? I don't think there was one on ebay this year. HOS is filling the gap in the market all by its own...

Xavier
Larry

Post by Larry »

xchessg wrote:
Chessbama wrote:Minor error to the list I posted. We have "Mephisto Montreux" 's in our Kasparov RISC 2500 boxes. I haven't had time to in depth research it yet but they appear to be very similar. We'll be listing one on Sunday as well as a Novag Super Expert 96k.
Yes, Montreux appeared later then RISC 2500, is similar and rarer: HOS is lucky again, Montreux usually brings a higher bid then the RISC 2500.

But two Montreux's? I don't think there was one on ebay this year. HOS is filling the gap in the market all by its own...

Xavier
And here it is....
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/231415066936 ... 1438.l2649
Reinfeld

Post by Reinfeld »

Man - that Montreux fetched a pretty penny. Must be the newness. Too rich for my blood.

- R.
"You have, let us say, a promising politician, a rising artist that you wish to destroy. Dagger or bomb are archaic and unreliable - but teach him, inoculate him with chess."
– H.G. Wells