mephisto atlanta

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Queegmeister

mephisto atlanta

Post by Queegmeister »

How much is the Mephisto Atlanta worth - seems of similar quality to Montreax.

Dr. Q
Only he who never plays, never loses
Larry

Re: mephisto atlanta

Post by Larry »

Queegmeister wrote:How much is the Mephisto Atlanta worth - seems of similar quality to Montreax.

Dr. Q
In today's market and assuming it is all complete and working fine, you
would expect to pay around $700 to $800. Others might disagree.
L
Reinfeld

Post by Reinfeld »

Agree with Larry on value. The Atlanta is the strongest Morsch, excluding modules. It's got nice size in a laptop design. It is (by forum agreement) the strongest battery-operated dedicated ever made. As far as I can tell, it has no direct clone (a factor that appeals to me).

As for Montreux, it's RISC 2500 in a different box: a de Koning program with a black housing and (disputed) a bigger opening book. It comes with one RAM version - some RISC 2500 models have more. Others who have both models can attest to subtler similiarities/differences.

- R.
"You have, let us say, a promising politician, a rising artist that you wish to destroy. Dagger or bomb are archaic and unreliable - but teach him, inoculate him with chess."
– H.G. Wells
IanO

Post by IanO »

Reinfeld wrote:Agree with Larry on value. The Atlanta is the strongest Morsch, excluding modules. It's got nice size in a laptop design. It is (by forum agreement) the strongest battery-operated dedicated ever made. As far as I can tell, it has no direct clone (a factor that appeals to me).

As for Montreux, it's RISC 2500 in a different box: a de Koning program with a black housing and (disputed) a bigger opening book. It comes with one RAM version - some RISC 2500 models have more. Others who have both models can attest to subtler similiarities/differences.

- R.
One thing that makes Montreux/RISC 2500/TASC R30 valuable: they were the only De Koning engines. If one were collecting the Big Six programmers (Spracklen, Kittinger, Morsch, Schroeder, de Koning, Lang), every other programmer had dozens of dedicated models to choose from, many at the middle-end so you didn't have to bust your budget. But De Koning came late to the party and only programmed for those three high end machines. Not even our hero Ruud Martin has included him in the stable of engines emulated on the Revelation.

And the last thing that makes Montreux/RISC 2500 valuable, they have an expiration date so working ones are in dwindling supply. They used a cheap ASIC technology for a logic chip so it only has a twenty-year nominal lifespan, making the R30 the only good long-lasting investment.

(I topped out about half the final price in that recent auction. sigh)
Reinfeld

Post by Reinfeld »

every other programmer had dozens of dedicated models to choose from, many at the middle-end so you didn't have to bust your budget
I hate to quibble, but *dozens* is a bit of an overstatement. Perhaps it hinges on your definition of a dedicated. To me, dozens is an acceptable description when applied to Spracklen, Kittinger and Morsch. Agreed that de Koning programs appear only in the aforementioned RISC 2500 and Montreux. Disagree that Schroder and Lang programs appear in dozens of dedicateds. With respect to Schroder (always excluding modules), I find five:

Academy
Mega IV
Milano/Nigel Short
Monte Carlo/Monte Carlo LE
Super Mondial II

For Lang (again excluding modules), I find three self-contained machines:

CXG Chess 2001
Berlin
Berlin Pro

- R.
"You have, let us say, a promising politician, a rising artist that you wish to destroy. Dagger or bomb are archaic and unreliable - but teach him, inoculate him with chess."
– H.G. Wells
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Reinfeld wrote:

For Lang (again excluding modules), I find three self-contained machines:

CXG Chess 2001
Berlin
Berlin Pro

- R.
just off the top of my head..
Lang also appears in the Tournament Machine and the Mondial XL
other brands would be the TSBIV La Regence and CLJ Le Emperour(both have the Cyrus program) and the CXG 3000
he also appears in the WunderMachine but this is arguably not a "True" Dedicated computer by the strict definition of the term

Still not very many Stand alone computers Regards
Steve
Reinfeld

Post by Reinfeld »

I bow before superior knowledge. Steve is the go-to authority on these questions.

Not worthy regards,

- R.
– H.G. Wells
Mike Watters

Post by Mike Watters »

Other standalones by Richard Lang -

Mephisto Montreal
Chess King Master
Fidelity Elite Premiere (part)
and possibly one or two other Chess Kings.
IanO

Post by IanO »

Mike Watters wrote:Other standalones by Richard Lang -

Chess King Master
and possibly one or two other Chess Kings.
Also Chess King Philidor, both were his Cyrus program adapted by David Levy. They came out in 1984 and 1987.

(I'm sad Lang's later engines were never licensed for mid- to lower-end machines. They were great positional players, and could have taught good positional style to children.)
Larry

Post by Larry »

Speaking of the CXG300, I just added one to my stable, got to go and pick it up in person....
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/191450014239 ... 1439.l2648
Buy-it-now regards...
L
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Larry wrote:Speaking of the CXG300, I just added one to my stable, got to go and pick it up in person....
Buy-it-now regards...
L
Nice Price
got the manual?

BTW...Horrible news from Sydney
do you know if the police killed the creep or he did himself in?
cant seem to get that basic info here in the US

Breaking News Regards
Steve
Queegmeister

expiration chips ?

Post by Queegmeister »

quoted from earlier comment

And the last thing that makes Montreux/RISC 2500 valuable, they have an expiration date so working ones are in dwindling supply. They used a cheap ASIC technology for a logic chip so it only has a twenty-year nominal lifespan, making the R30 the only good long-lasting investment.

What other dedicateds have expiration chips - no point in having them i guess

Maybe time for a sale regards
Dr. Q
Only he who never plays, never loses
Larry

Post by Larry »

Steve B wrote:
Larry wrote:Speaking of the CXG300, I just added one to my stable, got to go and pick it up in person....
Buy-it-now regards...
L
Nice Price
got the manual?

BTW...Horrible news from Sydney
do you know if the police killed the creep or he did himself in?j
cant seem to get that basic info here in the US

Breaking News Regards
Steve
I didn't follow the action too much. Australia is one of the many stupid
"Trend follower" countries that are bringing lots of Muslims in. We are just now starting to see the front end of a big problem. I doubt it was suicide
though. My guess is the cops took great delight in shooting that mongrel
straight through the head.
Regarding the owner's manual, I don't know just yet. I'll find out in a couple of days.
L
Steve B
Site Admin

Re: expiration chips ?

Post by Steve B »

Queegmeister wrote:quoted from earlier comment

What other dedicateds have expiration chips - no point in having them i guess

Maybe time for a sale regards
Dr. Q
Well i can think of one Dr.Q
The Novag Robot Adversary

Expiration Time was about...

2-3 Hours Regards
Steve
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Post by Harvey Williamson »

Larry wrote: I didn't follow the action too much. Australia is one of the many stupid
"Trend follower" countries that are bringing lots of Muslims in. We are just now starting to see the front end of a big problem. I doubt it was suicide
though. My guess is the cops took great delight in shooting that mongrel
straight through the head.
Regarding the owner's manual, I don't know just yet. I'll find out in a couple of days.
L
Hi Larry,

We had a complaint that this forum is not for discussing this kind of thing. I am not going to delete your comment but the best place to discuss this is probably the 'Any other business' sub forum.

Best Wishes,
Harvey