Excel Mach3 on ebay

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Larry

Excel Mach3 on ebay

Post by Larry »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Excel-68000-Mac ... 1025014225

The seller might like to do himself a service by posting pictures of the unit
working. He might also like to state emphatically that it does work.
Not a bad price if he does this.
L
Reinfeld

Post by Reinfeld »

Just a question - these Excel Masters (I own none of them) are (purportedly) equivalent to the Designer models (2000, 2100, 2265 and 2325) but in different housings. Any other differences worth noting?

- R.
"You have, let us say, a promising politician, a rising artist that you wish to destroy. Dagger or bomb are archaic and unreliable - but teach him, inoculate him with chess."
– H.G. Wells
Larry

Post by Larry »

Reinfeld wrote:Just a question - these Excel Masters (I own none of them) are (purportedly) equivalent to the Designer models (2000, 2100, 2265 and 2325) but in different housings. Any other differences worth noting?

- R.
The only other differences, as far as I know, are the Excel's 64 field lights
versus the Designer's coordinate lights, and the Excel's LED display versus
the Designer's LCD display. I'm actually partial to the older "bedside clock"
LED displays. While you can't get as much info on them, they tend to stand
the test of time better. And of course they allow you to play chess in the dark :)
The Designer design is tacky, IMO, and you can't store the pieces in the
back.
L
Reinfeld

Post by Reinfeld »

I know what you mean about storing the pieces, but I have to admit great affection for the Designer-style boards. I fell in love the first time I saw one, after years when Excellence was my only board. I loved it, but it always felt like the pieces were just a tad too close together for comfort.

The Designers feel more playable to me - maybe it's an illusion, but the boards seem more airy, with just a tiny bit more space between the pieces. Am I wrong? Has anyone measured this?

- R.
"You have, let us say, a promising politician, a rising artist that you wish to destroy. Dagger or bomb are archaic and unreliable - but teach him, inoculate him with chess."
– H.G. Wells
Larry

Post by Larry »

Reinfeld wrote: The Designers feel more playable to me - maybe it's an illusion, but the boards seem more airy, with just a tiny bit more space between the pieces. Am I wrong? Has anyone measured this?

- R.
Yes, I think it's an illusion. On both Excel and Designer, the squares
are 2.5cmX 2.5cm. The pieces are the same dimensions also. Just measured
the squares.
to each his own regards...
Larry
Larry

Post by Larry »

He's relisted the Mach3. I messaged him and told him he might have
more luck if he includes more photos, including at least one with it working.
In his first ad, he said "what you see is what you get" Since all we could
see was a box, only a brave person would click on buy-it-now.
L
John_F

Post by John_F »

It's listed as running at only 12 MHz. Does someone here know if that was the case with the original Mach III? Was the later designer version actually sped up to 16 mhz? I thought the two were the same, except that maybe the original Mach III had a larger hash size.

Also, the listing says the pieces are the original ones, but IIRC those pictured are not the original Fidelity pieces.
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

John_F wrote:It's listed as running at only 12 MHz. Does someone here know if that was the case with the original Mach III? Was the later designer version actually sped up to 16 mhz? I thought the two were the same, except that maybe the original Mach III had a larger hash size.

Also, the listing says the pieces are the original ones, but IIRC those pictured are not the original Fidelity pieces.
both the Excel Mach III and Designer Mach III were only released running at 16 Mhz
the Excel Mach II-12 Mhz and the Designer/Excel Mach IV-20 Mhz
those are not the original pieces
they look like Saitek Pieces but i am not certain

Sweet 16 Regards
Steve
John_F

Post by John_F »

Thanks Steve.

Beings that a fairly worn-looking Designer Mach III with its shift light not working recently went for $375.00 on eBay, I wonder why this isn't attracting attention? I'd assume this model, with lights on every square, would typically sell for more than the Designer edition.