Ron Nelson...programming well in to the late 1980's

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Steve B
Site Admin

Ron Nelson...programming well in to the late 1980's

Post by Steve B »

It has been intimated here in the forum that Nelson had not programmed anything since the early 1980's and had no experience with any processor other then a Z80

Well here is evidence he was heavily involved with programming in late 1988 and with the 68030 Processor

http://spider.sci.brooklyn.cuny.edu/~ko ... O_23_C.pdf

specifically ...

CHESS CHALLENGER X,written by Dan and KatheSpracklen and Ron
Nelson
,is an experimental version of Fidelity International Inc.‘s CHESS
CHALLENGER series of products.

looking at the tournament cross table we see him credited as the program author(along with the Spracklens) on an experimental computer utilizing a 68030 Processor

now this does not prove Nelson programmed the GM or any other computer but it debunks the notation that Nelson stopped writing chess programs by 1980 and only on a Z80

Another Bit Of Speculation...

Bites The Dust Regards
Steve
Last edited by Steve B on Sun May 17, 2015 10:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Re: Ron Nelson...programming well in to the late 1980's

Post by Fernando »

Steve B wrote:It has been intimated here in the forum that Nelson had not programmed anything since the early 1980's and had no experience with any processor other then a Z80

Well here is evidence he was heavily involved with programming in late 1988 and with the 68030 Processor

http://spider.sci.brooklyn.cuny.edu/~ko ... O_23_C.pdf

specifically ...

CHESS CHALLENGER X,written by Dan and KatheSpracklen and Ron
Nelson
,is an experimental version of Fidelity International Inc.‘s CHESS
CHALLENGER series of products.

looking at the tournament cross table we see him credited as the program author(along with the Spracklens) on an experimental computer utilizing a 68030 Processor

now this does not prove Nelson programmed the GM or any other computer but it debunks the notation that Nelson stopped writing chess programs by 1980 and only on a Z80

Another Bit Of Speculation...

Bites The Dust Regards
Steve

I understand that Nelson was the CEO of the programming or technical dept, whatever the name, position he won on the ground of his design of the machine as a piece of engineering and because of his long association with samole.
I cannot see what he could add in sheer programming to what the Spr. were doing
Fern
Festina Lente
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

He might have had a directors title but as i have posted already in other threads he was directly involved in programming for Excalibur when i pointed out a bug in the LCD Touch Chess in 2001
he immediately corrected the bug Blaming pressure from Marketing to release the computer

it is good to speculate my dear friend but it is another matter entirely when we begin to just ignore what has been documented at a major chess computer tournament

Ostrich Effect Regards
Steve
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

Steve B wrote:He might have had a directors title but as i have posted already in other threads he was directly involved in programming for Excalibur when i pointed out a bug in the LCD Touch Chess in 2001
he immediately corrected the bug Blaming pressure from Marketing to release the computer

it is good to speculate my dear friend but it is another matter entirely when we begin to just ignore what has been documented at a major chess computer tournament

Ostrich Effect Regards
Steve
Steve, you did not understand me. I am NOT saying Nelson was not in Excalibur in a way or another, but that in the age of the Spr. the programming side was entirely in the hands of that couple.
Festina Lente
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Fernando wrote:
Steve B wrote:He might have had a directors title but as i have posted already in other threads he was directly involved in programming for Excalibur when i pointed out a bug in the LCD Touch Chess in 2001

Ostrich Effect Regards
Steve
Steve, you did not understand me. I am NOT saying Nelson was not in Excalibur in a way or another, but that in the age of the Spr. the programming side was entirely in the hands of that couple.
And the evidence shows he was co-author of the Engine along with the Spracklens

Black And White Regards
Steve
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

Steve B wrote:
Fernando wrote:

Ostrich Effect Regards
Steve
And the evidence shows he was co-author of the Engine along with the Spracklens

Black And White Regards
Steve

What evidence?
I understand,as the spracklen told, that once samole saw the sargon crushing the best Nelson engine, the Spracklen were given entirely the task and Nelson became the senior engineer in order to put the engine inside a workable electronic machine, which he did with Champion...
Festina Lente
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Hi Steve,

In the 15th it states, Spracklen, Spracklen, Baczinsky, In the 17th its Spracklen, Spracklen, Kopec, In the 19th it shows Spracklen, Spracklen, Nelson.

The same name comes up again on the 13th as Spracklen, Spracklen, Baczinsky (Chess Advisor).

ps... I like your Ostrich analogy :)

In search of truth regards
Nick
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

read the PDF file and read what i wrote
he wrote the experimental program along with the Spracklens
perhaps he was only involved with this particular program.. in this particular tournament ..that i dont know
i only know what was written

Period Regards
Steve
Last edited by Steve B on Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

spacious_mind wrote:Hi Steve,

In the 15th it states, Spracklen, Spracklen, Baczinsky, In the 17th its Spracklen, Spracklen, Kopec, In the 19th it shows Spracklen, Spracklen, Nelson.

The same name comes up again on the 13th as Spracklen, Spracklen, Baczinsky (Chess Advisor).

Hi Nick

Yes so perhaps Nelson was only involved as the co-author in the 19th because he wanted to keep his "feet wet" in programming OR perhaps he finally asked for some credit...this i dont know
point is he was still programming as late as 1989 and on a 68030

Z80---->Motorola 68030 Regards
Steve
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

Steve B wrote:read the PDF file and read what i wrote
he wrote the experimental program along with the Spracklens
perhaps he was only involved with this particular program.. in this particular tournament ..that i dont know
i onlt know what was written

Period Regards
Steve
Even in this particular case you mention, it is difficult to believe Nelson had something to do with such a program BEYOND the protocol role of chief engineer of Fidelity taking part of an event where the company as such was represented by the Challenger X. It is difficult because, as every fact show, the Spracklen were far above Nelson in chess programming capabilities, so it is weird to assume he had any role in the writing of the code. As time showed abundantly, Nelson was a very near person to the Samole family, as it is proved by the fact he invested with them in some commercial endeavours. So it is understable that in any event where a Fidelity product was going to participate, he would appear a an integral part of the team, but in fact just representing the CEO.

Speculative but solid regards
Fern
Festina Lente
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Steve B wrote:
spacious_mind wrote:Hi Steve,

Yes so perhaps Nelson was only involed as the co-author in the 19th OR
perhaps he wanted to keep his feet wet OR perhaps he finally asked for some credit...this i dont know
point is he was still programming as late as 1989 and on a 68030

Z80---->Motorola 68030 Regards
Steve
Or perhaps he had to show activity for his new bosses :) There could be a thousand reasons Steve. ps.. I am disputing absolutely nothing regarding Nelson and his involvement in chess computers, their design, their mechanics, his leadership. The computers that came out from his leadership are amongst the finest and collectible with Fidelity. But at some point he was no longer the author of the chess programs. It stopped. Nelson/Spracklen/Spracklen <------ Now that would have shaken me to the roots.

The search for truth is solely centered around chess program author and the gaps thereafter.

Best regards
Nick
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Fernando wrote:
Even in this particular case you mention, it is difficult to believe Nelson had something to do with such a program
so it is weird to assume he had any role in the writing of the code
OK
so although it was written that he co-authored the program..written by a Pioneer in the field of computer chess(Newborn) then this means it is all wrong and it is difficult to believe and weird

that makes alot of sense to me

NOT Regards
Steve
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

spacious_mind wrote:

The search for truth is solely centered around chess program author and the gaps thereafter.

Best regards
Yes and the argument that Nelson could not have possibly programmed the GM(for example) because he has not programmed anything since 1980 on Z80's has now been laid to waste.
this was given as one of several reasons why it was improbable that he did program the GM
not sure you made that argument but i recall it being made

Nelson The Unsung Hero Regards
Steve
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

Steve B wrote:
Fernando wrote:
Even in this particular case you mention, it is difficult to believe Nelson had something to do with such a program
so it is weird to assume he had any role in the writing of the code
OK
so although it was written that he co-authored the program..written by a Pioneer in the field of computer chess(Newborn) then this means it is all wrong and it is difficult to believe and weird

that makes alot of sense to me

NOT Regards

We all know Newborn was a good chap, always ready to help a friend....
Steve
Festina Lente
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Steve B wrote:
spacious_mind wrote:

Best regards
Yes and the argument that Nelson could not have possibly programmed the GM(for example) because he has not programmed anything since 1980 on Z80's has now been laid to waste.
this was given as one of several reasons why it was improbable that he did program the GM
not sure you made that argument but i recall it being made

Nelson The Unsung Hero Regards
Steve
Hi Steve,

This is interesting, let's take this thought a step further. If you are being told that Igor/Ivan and Mirage are totally different programmer to Alexandra, LCD Chess, King Arthur, which program would you accredit to Ron Nelson and which program would you not accredit to Ron Nelson?

Curious regards,
Nick