Ron Nelson...programming well in to the late 1980's

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

spacious_mind wrote:
Steve B wrote:
spacious_mind wrote:

The search for truth is solely centered around chess program author and the gaps thereafter.

Best regards
Yes and the argument that Nelson could not have possibly programmed the GM(for example) because he has not programmed anything since 1980 on Z80's has now been laid to waste.
this was given as one of several reasons why it was improbable that he did program the GM
not sure you made that argument but i recall it being made

Nelson The Unsung Hero Regards
Steve
Hi Steve,

This is interesting, let's take this thought a step further. If you are being told that Igor/Ivan and Mirage at totally different programmer to Alexandra, LCD Chess, King Arthur, which program would you accredit to Ron Nelson and which program would you not accredit to Ron Nelson?

Curious regards,
You know Nick i am a humble man..A simple man
i do not like to speculate and have that speculation regarded as fact
i only know what i was told and i choose to believe it
i will still say the GM/Mirage were programmed by Nelson
because he told me so
given that the GM fails the Clone test with other Horvath computers only bolsters my belief
we used to say that chess moves do not lie and yet we are disregarding this now

as i see it..the only real argument you have is a.. translated.. obscure..one time reference ..that the Mirage program was somehow programmed by this White fellow from Krypton with the aid of David Levy(of all people)
even here we have a connection with White(formerly from CXG) and Nelson who by this time owned CXG(as i have written)

Nelson it seems is like the Woody Allen character... Zelig
he seems to appear everywhere in the world of commercial chess computers through-out history

Nelson ..The Man Behind The Scenes Regards
Steve
Last edited by Steve B on Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

Steve B wrote:
spacious_mind wrote:
Steve B wrote:
spacious_mind wrote:

The search for truth is solely centered around chess program author and the gaps thereafter.

Best regards
Yes and the argument that Nelson could not have possibly programmed the GM(for example) because he has not programmed anything since 1980 on Z80's has now been laid to waste.
this was given as one of several reasons why it was improbable that he did program the GM
not sure you made that argument but i recall it being made

Nelson The Unsung Hero Regards
Steve
Hi Steve,

This is interesting, let's take this thought a step further. If you are being told that Igor/Ivan and Mirage at totally different programmer to Alexandra, LCD Chess, King Arthur, which program would you accredit to Ron Nelson and which program would you not accredit to Ron Nelson?

Curious regards,
because he told me so
given that the GM fails the Clone test with other Horvath computers only bolsters my belief

as i see it..the only real argument you have is a.. translated.. obscure..one time reference ..that the Mirage program was somehow programmed by this White fellow from Krypton with the aid of David Levy(of all people)
even here we have a connection with White(formerly from CXG) and Nelson who by this time owned CXG(as i have written)

Nelson it seems is like thr Woody Allen chraracter... Zelig
he seems to appear everywhere in the world of commercial chess computers throuh-out history

Nelson ..The Man Behind The Scenes Regards
Steve
Steven:
It does not matter if you are right or wrong, If I am wrong or right, if the others pals here are right or wrong,...the essential point is...

We get lot of fun discussing these things regards

Charging batteries to play Alexandra (Nelson?) regards
Fern
Festina Lente
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Fernando wrote:

Steven:
It does not matter if you are right or wrong, If I am wrong or right, if the others pals here are right or wrong,...the essential point is...

We get lot of fun discussing these things regards
and of course i agree
100% Regards
Steve
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Steve B wrote:
because he told me so

Perhaps...Perhaps Not Regards
Steve
Hi Steve,
There is nothing obscure about the CSS report. Those are 100% accurately translated by me from CSS visits to the Nuerenbuerger Toy Exhibition between 1994 and 1997. I translated word for word everything that was written about Krypton, CXG and Excalibur. There are no gaps and there are no exclusions.

CSS Staff at that 4 year period were:

Frederic Friedel, Dieter Steinwender, Karsten Baumeister, Hubert Bednorz, IM Otto Borik, Dr. Murray Campbell (USA), Axel Caro, Thorsten Czub (our one and only), Jose Diaz, Dr. Christian Donninger, Albert Engel, Juergen Faas, Goran Gottling (Sweden), Dr. Feng-hsiung Hsu (USA), Uwe Immel, Friedhelm Jungmann, Hans-Peter Ketterling, IM David Levy (London), Christian Liebert, Dr. Laszlo Lindner (Budapest), Dietmut Moosman, Guenther Niggemann, GM Dr. John Nunn, Guenther Rehburg, Dr. Alexander Reinefeld, Michael Scheidl, Jens Schmid-Wilke, Hans Thiele, Ken Thomson (USA), Fred Tonissen, IM Mike Valvo (USA), Friedrich Wolfenter, Nick H. Yazgaz.

Apologies for anyone I might have missed. The above are the contributors whose life is chess and chess computers. You should read the readers letters that are included in each issue, names that are still today very active in chess computers.

There is nothing dubious here at all, how can it be? Reports over a 4 year period read and critiqued by all of the above distinguished gentlemen and all the readers across the world?

I don't think so regards.
Nick
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Hi Nick

i did not mean to disparage the CSS reports in any way
all good men and true..as was your translation

sometimes i can go on and on when i am enjoying a good debate

:P

Best Regards
Steve
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Steve B wrote:Hi Nick

i did not mean to disparage the CCS reports in any way
all good men and true..as was your translation

sometimes i can go on and on when i am enjoying a good debate

:P

Best Regards
Steve
You know you are in my heart Steve! But I also do love debates :) Makes it all interesting and good reading !! :)

All the best,
Nick
Monsieur Plastique

Post by Monsieur Plastique »

I am now quite convinced that writings about Mr. Nelson take up more bytes of storage in cyberspace and on the collective hard drives of machines the world over than that relating to the topic of the greatest conspiracy theories of all time.

Accordingly, I will be meeting with my Hollywood contacts with a view to making a blockbuster movie about the life and times of Mr. Nelson. A bearded Russell Crowe will play Nelson.

I am thinking that about 5 hours should do it. Think a half-day epic on the monumental scale of Once Upon a Time in America. Infact, that will be the title of this movie:

Once Upon a Time In America 2

But critically, in my movie, the only thing that will perish in a garbage compactor is Mr. Nelsons Z80 code...

If you wish to be an extra in this movie, please let me know. Don't all PM me at once please.
Chess is like painting the Mona Lisa whilst walking through a minefield.
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

Monsieur Plastique wrote:I am now quite convinced that writings about Mr. Nelson take up more bytes of storage in cyberspace and on the collective hard drives of machines the world over than that relating to the topic of the greatest conspiracy theories of all time.

Accordingly, I will be meeting with my Hollywood contacts with a view to making a blockbuster movie about the life and times of Mr. Nelson. A bearded Russell Crowe will play Nelson.

I am thinking that about 5 hours should do it. Think a half-day epic on the monumental scale of Once Upon a Time in America. Infact, that will be the title of this movie:

But critically, in my movie, the only thing that will perish in a garbage compactor is Mr. Nelsons Z80 code...

If you wish to be an extra in this movie, please let me know. Don't all PM me at once please.
I Am interested for a secondary role. ¿Perhaps like Blincoe phoning Nelson?
Festina Lente
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Fernando wrote:
Monsieur Plastique wrote:I am now quite convinced that writings about Mr. Nelson take up more bytes of storage in cyberspace and on the collective hard drives of machines the world over than that relating to the topic of the greatest conspiracy theories of all time.

you want to portray me in the movie?
this will never work...i am much talller and MUCH younger then you
no ..no..
to portray me ..i was thinking of an actor that looks alot like me in appearance..

Brad Pitt Regards
Steve
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

Steve B wrote:
Fernando wrote:

no ..no..
to portray me ..i was thinking of an actor that looks alot like me in appearance..

Brad Pitt Regards
Steve
In fact I thought that the adequate actor to represent you would have been Bela Lugoze, but he is dead. I will try my best.

1.90 high meters regards
Fern
Festina Lente
Mentat

Post by Mentat »

Fernando wrote:
Steve B wrote:
Fernando wrote:

no ..no..

Brad Pitt Regards
Steve
In fact I thought that the adequate actor to represent you would have been Bela Lugoze, but he is dead. I will try my best.

1.90 high meters regards
Fern
He, he... This is getting quite interesting :) Anyway, I knew that you were a tall guy, Fern, our daughter told me "Dad, he's your height (1.90 cm)". And, as we get older, past the age of 60, the digits just reverse and you are 36, meaning that you can play that part in the movie, right? Anyway, I am on the ever-speculative and noncommittal side, still not being convinced that Nelson programmed anything better than the Ringmaster III, King Arthur and the like (the announced 1750, 72 levels, etc.), those strange Excalibur machines that no-one has any firm knowledge about.

Naturally, I am aware that I can be wrong here, but finding the truth of a matter is based on falsifiability and suspicion about one's hypotheses, and these two are the hallmarks of Western civilisation. It must have been Nietzsche who said that in order to get to the truth we should re-evaluate everything (Umwertung aller Werte).

I love speculating and debating too regards

Djordje
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

The funny thing of all this discussion is that almost everybody here can be beaten and IS beaten relatively often by even those Nelson contrivances that theoretically we look at with such derision.
I have no problems in confess I have been beaten many times by Ivan.
Why?
because I am an intermittent chess player that concentrate in a move and then play at easy the next because I am writing or doing anything else. This is a way to say I am a less than mediocre chess player.
I have got a draw with powerful software -well, meaning 2300+- but I still can be defeated by anything equal or better than Champion challenger. I am in the absolute safe side only with stuff like Challenger 7 or something of the sort.

Playing Fidelity 3 regards
Fern
Festina Lente
mclane

Post by mclane »

If we ever find an answer who programmed Igor/Gm
We can continue with the question if the spinx40/50 is just a mark v
Transported on the 68000 cpu.
Or we can answer to the question what would have happened to saitek if mr. Winkler would have bought hiarcs world chess champion as an engine for the sparc module in 1993.

I do have another question: why is Christophe Theron not bringing out permanent brain into the latest tiger for iOS app.
And another question:
Why did Stefan Meyer Kahlen never sold the shredder version that got the title in Japan ?

:roll:

There are so many questions.

Btw I asked guyla horvath which dedicated units have his programs. But he said he has no idea anymore.
It seems we have to find out by ourselves.
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....