Novag Super Expert 8.5 V AC Adapter

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Chessbama

Novag Super Expert 8.5 V AC Adapter

Post by Chessbama »

Hello,
I am trying to sell a couple Novag Super Experts and a Connie. They all take 8.5 v adapters that I cannot find anywhere. Radioshack has been able to produce adapters for me that works with the Saitek models but no luck with the older Novags. I will be eternally grateful if somebody can provide a solution.
dedicate computers

adapter for Novag Super Expert

Post by dedicate computers »

Hello, Super Expert uses adapter 8,5 volts AC/AC, not AC/DC. Typically, AC/AC adapters you can find in stores of musical instruments, having seen that hardly appears on ebay for sale original adaptors. A/C- A/C means alternating current!
Usually, the tecnical of those stores will be able to steer properly.
Chessbama

Post by Chessbama »

Thank you
Eric Wainwright

Re: Novag Super Expert 8.5 V AC Adapter

Post by Eric Wainwright »

Chessbama wrote:Hello,
I am trying to sell a couple Novag Super Experts and a Connie.
Hello Chessbama,

Is that a basic Connie (2.0 MHz or 3.6 MHz), a Super Connie, or a Connie Expert? I have a Connie Expert and it runs fine on a Enercell 9V, 1Amp, AC/DC adapter that I bought at RadioShack.

I've never heard of any chess computers running on AC/AC adapters, but I certainly could be wrong. Interested to know.

-Eric
pr1uk

Post by pr1uk »

Found this on my early morning cruising it say's that this is the spec for the original adapter. (true/false no idea but someone can check theirs i am sure)

AC ADAPTOR

4803-0808-AC
INPUT:
AC 240V 50Hz 9W
OUTPUT:
AC 8.5V 0.8A
NOVAG HONG KONG
CONSTELLATION/
GOMOKU

There must be a lot of these about and i am sure there are people running their on after market adapters. If it was mine i would be very careful what i used especially if your like me and have it on for hours at a time.
Good luck in your search

Peter
King Performance Chess Computer M830
Brutus

Post by Brutus »

An AC/AC transformer is the right choice. No issue with using 9V instead of the original 8,5V.

http://www.amazon.com/2000mA-Adapter-Su ... 9v+adapter

Not cheap, but this one will work perfectly. Enough amps also!
- Wolfgang
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

The Chess House used to sell Novag Adaptors
worked with many Novag computers including the Super Expert
its worth a try contacting them (if you haven't already)

http://www.chesshouse.com/Adapter_for_N ... /b1021.htm

Ya Never Know Regards
Steve
Eric Wainwright

Hi Steve,

It looks like that adapter at Chesshouse.com is AC/DC at 300mA, which means that it may be the wrong type of adapter and also underpowered for the Super Experts. From the other posts, it sounds like the Super Experts might need an AC/AC adapter at 1Amps minimum.

If true, it's strange that the Super Experts need this special type of adapter while all the other Novags (and most other chess computers as well) require an AC/DC adapter. Can anyone else confirm this?

Oscillating voltage regards,
-Eric
IvenGO

Post by IvenGO »

I use 7.5V & 1000mA AC/DC with Scorpio - no problem at all; seems SECs & SFCs can be powered by same.
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Eric Wainwright wrote:Hi Steve,

It looks like that adapter at Chesshouse.com is AC/DC at 300mA, which means that it may be the wrong type of adapter and also underpowered for the Super Experts. From the other posts, it sounds like the Super Experts might need an AC/AC adapter at 1Amps minimum.

If true, it's strange that the Super Experts need this special type of adapter while all the other Novags (and most other chess computers as well) require an AC/DC adapter. Can anyone else confirm this?

Oscillating voltage regards,
-Eric
Hi Eric
i bought 2 Adaptors frm the Chess House
been using them for years with the Super Experts(and other Novag Computers)
they work just fine

No Problemo Regards
Steve
Eric Wainwright

Hi Steve,

Are those two adapters you have AC/DC or AC/AC? And, what is the maximum amperage? It should say on the back.

I received a Connie Expert with a third-party 250mA DC adapter and was having trouble with the unit locking up in the middle of my games. I then found out that the larger, wooden Novags have a maximum amp ratings of 850mA, thus requiring more power than the smaller, plastic Novags, which need only 250mA or 300mA. I replaced the adapter with one that delivered 1A of power (i.e. 1,000mA) and the problem has been cured ever since.

Regards,
-Eric
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Eric Wainwright wrote:Hi Steve,

Are those two adapters you have AC/DC or AC/AC? And, what is the maximum amperage? It should say on the back.

I received a Connie Expert with a third-party 250mA DC adapter and was having trouble with the unit locking up in the middle of my games. I then found out that the larger, wooden Novags have a maximum amp ratings of 850mA, thus requiring more power than the smaller, plastic Novags, which need only 250mA or 300mA. I replaced the adapter with one that delivered 1A of power (i.e. 1,000mA) and the problem has been cured ever since.

Regards,
-Eric
Hi Eric

never had an issue with any of the Super Experts(A5,B6 and C6) locking up
the Connie Expert runs just fine On this adaptor as well
the Diablo uses a 68000 processor and it takes its own adaptor
if you look at The Chess House web site you can see the exact specs of the adaptor
it says...

"Input: AC120V 60Hz 6W
Output: DC9V 300mA 2.7VA
Center (-)"

they also have the Novag European adaptor in stock:

http://www.chesshouse.com/European_Adap ... /b1022.htm

Its All Good Regards
Steve
ricard60

Post by ricard60 »

I do not have a SE or Conny but if they work with an AC/AC adaptor they should also work with an AC/DC adaptor. Why?. If the original adaptor is an AC/AC that means that inside the housing of the dedicated chess machine there is a voltage regulator that converts AC to DC. Now if i used an AC/DC adaptor that should be no problem. The only thing that you should be aware of is the voltage output that should be 8.5 to 9 V and 300 ma or maybe 1A of power (1000 ma) should be enough for any model.

AC/DC regards
Ricardo
Brutus

Post by Brutus »

Again it's AC/AC. Wrong polarity using an AC/DC adaptor can cause severe damage!
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/103 ... Expert.JPG
No guessing regards, Wolfgang
Eric Wainwright

This is probably a good topic to beat to death since the variety of configurations creates a lot of confusion.

Ricardo: Thanks for the clear explanation. This now makes sense why AC/DC adapters will work on machines that originally came with AC/AC adapters. However, if the machine states 800 or 850 mA max on the back, then a 300 mA adapter may not provide enough power. This is the problem I had, and why it’s probably best to always use 1A or higher.

Brutus: Your link doesn’t show the polarity of the machine. But, Ricardo makes a good case why AC/DC adapters should work fine on the Experts, as well AC/AC adapters.

The bottom line seems to be: match the voltage +/- 10% and meet or exceed the max amps required by the machine.