OPEN Source Eboard DIY project

You can discuss all aspects of programming and technical matters here.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Watchman

Revolt

OPEN Source Eboard DIY project

Post by Revolt »

Hi all:
I am a 40 yr chess veteran and MIT certified in Electronic design.
I am hoping to develop a lower cost e-board for general use. Perhaps in the sub $300 range,retail kit :idea:
It is a personal project. :!:

I am looking for support from the forum if possible as communications between a PC chess programme and an eboard are new to me. I am weak on the PC programming and prefer to avoid it.

As I understand it so far...Chess engines produce ACII moves in a window which is translated by a DLL or helper app. into a serial communication via RS232 over usb or direct USB to the eboard which supports bidirectional comms providing for player moves to be fed back to the PC as ASCII.

If this is so, I would need to setup a testbed (Windows 7 for now)that I can use as a means to evaluate bidirectional ASCII communications with the e board prototype. I need suggestions for which Chess software to use in the testbed as well as any helper app. (open source) to do the ASCII comms.

On the hardware side, I am developing on a Microchip 8 bit platform in either C or ASM. Chess piece identification via magnetic or RFID tags and RGB LED feedback in each square to provide for maximum functionality. Dual Chess clock capability to be added later. Eboard capabilities to enhance PvP play with PGN archiving, PGN upload/download and playback, Fischer chess setup capable and new player training aids such as chess piece move range display and color coded LEDs showing the last few opponent moves as a handicap. The magnetic /RF tag on each chess piece base can be removed and applied to new pieces to permit chess piece upgrades.
Board design to permit hardwood/glass/marble/porcelain upgrades within the 8x8, 1/16" acrylic grid. RGB colors to be displayed via the grid, not the squares.

Prototype board will be a travel sized 12" x 12". I want to make this build available to the participating forum at direct cost. (hopefully <$125 ea).

Thanks for any support....esp. chess move ASCII bidirectional comms. Once I can get serial RS232 over USB or USB ASCII comms going with the eboard, things will happen quickly 8-)
SFK3

Post by SFK3 »

Hello Revolt,

I only know (by name) Pierre Boulenguez who has developed a posix-driver for Mac's
and - I guess - is the person with the best knowledge of the dot's in the open source community.
See also his project site on Sourceforge http://dgtnix.sourceforge.net/downloads.html
You most certainly can find an E-Mailaddress of him using Google.
(search name + dgt)

In the Python-community there seems to be another smart guy (programmer).
Google for "python-chess 0.9.1."

There are some projects like pico-chess: Connecting a dgt-board with a raspberry Pi. But to me, the disadvantage of these projects is, that you have to use another computer, rather than using the one you already owned. And more: Using another operating system on the Pi's. I personally like to use an e-board with the machine I have instead of choosing my computer according to gaming materials need.

But anyhow these projects might be helpful for you.

I like the approach for your project: Especially with RFID. Sounds like using the Pieces of you free choice.

I wish you big success!

Uwe
NickLawson

Post by NickLawson »

As per my knowledge there are some projects like pico-chess: Connecting a dgt-board with a raspberry Pi.
But to me, the disadvantage of these projects is, that you have to use another computer, rather than using the one you already owned. And more: Using another operating system on the Pi's.
SFK3

Post by SFK3 »

NickLawson wrote:As per my knowledge there are some projects like pico-chess: Connecting a dgt-board with a raspberry Pi.
But to me, the disadvantage of these projects is, that you have to use another computer, rather than using the one you already owned. And more: Using another operating system on the Pi's.
Hello Nick,

fully agree with you.

Catch an eye on this post
http://www.hiarcs.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7904

Regrads