Is Mephisto Berlin London Update interesting ?

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
scandien

Is Mephisto Berlin London Update interesting ?

Post by scandien »

Hello,

i have just bought the Richard Lang London update for the Berlin 68000. I was ready to update my machine , when i saw on some forum that the playing stye of the London Update was less interesting than the Berlin one's.

I also check on Aktiv Schach Elo List and the level is lower than the Berlin 68000 level ( but this is not really the main point for me).

Do you already tried the London Update? Is it funny t oplay versus this program? Is the Berlin/vancouver program more attractive/funny ?

thanks in advance for your answer :)

best regards

Nicolas
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Hi Nicolas

I doubt anyone could really notice a significant difference in playing style between Langs London Update and his last program before that(Genius)

anyway...the principal reason to acquire the update is that it added extra features and options
the update was offered for 6 different computers

you can download the two page London Update Addendum here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/10261668@ ... /in/set-72

https://www.flickr.com/photos/10261668@ ... 0922171154

of course just getting the eprom is not sufficient for collecting purposes
one must purchase a separate computer with the update and not update an already existing computer
an exception is made for the Tournament Machine where using different eproms is deemed acceptable

XXX Hardcore collecting Regards
Steve
scandien

Post by scandien »

Thanks you for the answer... My goal is not really to collect every machine but to get interesting program... So a Eprom update is enough for me .

I saw on other forum ( german speaking one spécially) that the London update less 'human' than the Berlin ( or vancouver) . It play more passive and solid too.... a little boring ....

Best regards

Nicolas
Carl Bicknell

Post by Carl Bicknell »

scandien wrote:Thanks you for the answer... My goal is not really to collect every machine but to get interesting program... So a Eprom update is enough for me .

I saw on other forum ( german speaking one spécially) that the London update less 'human' than the Berlin ( or vancouver) . It play more passive and solid too.... a little boring ....

Best regards

Nicolas
I have both.

They are exactly the same in playing style, but the London is about 50-60 elo stronger.

I'm afraid neither one is the most enterprising opponent c/p De Koning, Morsch, Kittinger, and even Schroder.

But both have a clean, simple style of play with a tenancy to play positional healthy chess and simplify early.

The Lang programs are competent, especially in open positions.
scandien

Post by scandien »

Thanks a lot for those informations. i will update my berlin ;)

br

Nicolas