Mephisto Vancouver Exclusive Problem

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
BlackSails911

Mephisto Vancouver Exclusive Problem

Post by BlackSails911 »

Hello everybody,

I recently purchased a Mephisto Vancouver 68000 Exclusive on EBay. The unit is in excellent condition and runs great except for one problem. It does not seem to save the game (or settings) overnight. If I turn it off and back on with maybe an hour or so it does recall the game and settings. If I wait until the next day the game is gone and I need to setup the language, time control, etc. It may seem like a minor glitch, but I rarely finish games as I start late at night and setting up the position next day is a pain in the neck.

The manual says it saves the setting and it does so (for a few hours). Does anyone else observe this issue and are there any solutions?

Thanks in advance,
Roger
pr1uk

Re: Mephisto Vancouver Exclusive Problem

Post by pr1uk »

BlackSails911 wrote:Hello everybody,

I recently purchased a Mephisto Vancouver 68000 Exclusive on EBay. The unit is in excellent condition and runs great except for one problem. It does not seem to save the game (or settings) overnight. If I turn it off and back on with maybe an hour or so it does recall the game and settings. If I wait until the next day the game is gone and I need to setup the language, time control, etc. It may seem like a minor glitch, but I rarely finish games as I start late at night and setting up the position next day is a pain in the neck.

The manual says it saves the setting and it does so (for a few hours). Does anyone else observe this issue and are there any solutions?

Thanks in advance,
Roger
The early Mephisto Exclusive boards had a 5 C battery backup so you could unplug them and the game was saved but even these if you turned the board off all was lost. The later models had no backup at all so once power is lost so is the ongoing game sorry. If you have an ongoing game your just have to set it up as if your inputting a problem position.

Peter
King Performance Chess Computer M830
BlackSails911

Post by BlackSails911 »

Thanks for the information. It does seem odd that one would have to enter even the default language each and every time they power on the machine. It's enough of a flaw that I will probably dump this machine on Ebay at some point in the future and live with the generic plastic Mephisto Master
pr1uk

Post by pr1uk »

BlackSails911 wrote:Thanks for the information. It does seem odd that one would have to enter even the default language each and every time they power on the machine. It's enough of a flaw that I will probably dump this machine on Ebay at some point in the future and live with the generic plastic Mephisto Master
I am not an expert all i know is the older Exclusive wooden boards had 5 rechargeable C batteries the other side of the board to the module in a pull out draw and would keep a game over night as long as it was not turned off mine does.
King Performance Chess Computer M830
xchessg

Post by xchessg »

BlackSails911 wrote:Hello everybody,

Thanks in advance,
Roger
Hi,

These module sets have a battery in the LCD module. Take that out, open it and you'll see the battery. To open the module casing, gently push with a screwdriver on the noses you see in the holes on the side of the module. Beware not to break them off...

With a new battery, you'll find that settings and positions are retained for months.

Xavier
BlackSails911

Battery Issue

Post by BlackSails911 »

Thanks everybody for your help. That make sense chessg, I should have realized there was a small battery retaining the information. I opened up mine and I see it is (apparently) soldered into place- yuck. I will have to have a friend held me replace it. The battery is also a BR-2032 instead of a CR-2032- I assume they are the same. Man it seems like every one of these modules is different inside, all handmade I suppose with whatever parts were available.

Here are two pics for those interested:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bpy48d0w5kpfe ... 0.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9ub0hyw71lmyw ... 7.jpg?dl=0
Peter Grayson

Re: Battery Issue

Post by Peter Grayson »

BlackSails911 wrote:The battery is also a BR-2032 instead of a CR-2032- I assume they are the same.
The BR-2032 is 0.2V lower nominal voltage than the CR2032. See ...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CR2032_battery

Also try and locate a battery with the necessary fittings for soldering into the board already attached. Heat from the soldering iron can damage the battery and the board unless very careful.

PeterG