What we talk about when we talk about talking chess machines

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Reinfeld

What we talk about when we talk about talking chess machines

Post by Reinfeld »

This is a trivial fascination of mine. I know a slew of babbling machines are out there. I own a few, far from all, because I prefer strength to novelty. Here's a very vague list of the strongest talking machines, ranked:

1. Mephisto/Saitek Talking Chess Academy/Shachakademie
2. Kishon Chesster (I don't own this one)
3. Chesster Challenger
4. Excalbur Igor
5. Excalibur Ivan (don't own it)
6. Excalibur Ivan II (don't own it)(not the same as Ivan?)

A few weeks ago, in my continuing attempts to nail down the precise limits of Igor's strength, I ran a series of tests. Like an idiot, I inadvertently deleted the games and results from my growing database. But I can give a rough idea of a few outcomes at 60s/avg.

A) Igor vs Saitek Turbo King: 1.5-1.5 (three interminable draws)
B) Igor vs Fidelity Designer 2100 Display: 2-1 (D2100 blundered a Queen away)
C) Igor vs Talking Chess Academy: 0-1

My upcoming plan - a game between Chesster and Igor, with subtitles.

- R.
"You have, let us say, a promising politician, a rising artist that you wish to destroy. Dagger or bomb are archaic and unreliable - but teach him, inoculate him with chess."
– H.G. Wells
Steve B
Site Admin

Re: What we talk about when we talk about talking chess mach

Post by Steve B »

Reinfeld wrote:

My upcoming plan - a game between Chesster and Igor, with subtitles.

- R.
i had the same idea back in 2008 and posted a game between the Fidelity Chesster Challenger and the Mephisto Academy
i highlighted the words spoken by Chesster in RED

www.hiarcs.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=9594#9594

That entire thread should be required reading for all serious students of the old dedicated Computers
there is much to learn from it

Back In The Day Regards
Steve
Reinfeld

Post by Reinfeld »

Wow - that's an incredible thread. I just gorged on it. Your game against the TM Van 030 is a treat. Lots of other great stuff, too.

- R.
"You have, let us say, a promising politician, a rising artist that you wish to destroy. Dagger or bomb are archaic and unreliable - but teach him, inoculate him with chess."
– H.G. Wells
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Reinfeld wrote:Wow - that's an incredible thread. I just gorged on it. Your game against the TM Van 030 is a treat. Lots of other great stuff, too.

- R.
That Thread dates back to the first days of the Hiarcs Forum
in those days when you answered a question the folks would thank you and happily move on
these days..if an answer cant be verified by clickable links elsewhere on the net ..the folks bang their shoe on the table.. shouting ..and are suspicious of everything
:wink:

Those Were The Days Regards
Steve
Brian B

Post by Brian B »

Steve B wrote:
Reinfeld wrote:Wow - that's an incredible thread. I just gorged on it. Your game against the TM Van 030 is a treat. Lots of other great stuff, too.

- R.
That Thread dates back to the first days of the Hiarcs Forum
in those days when you answered a question the folks would thank you and happily move on
these days..if an answer cant be verified by clickable links elsewhere on the net ..the folks bang their shoe on the table.. shouting ..and are suspicious of everything
:wink:

Those Were The Days Regards
Steve
I tripped over this thread about six months ago and learned quite a bit. Steve, if you want to resurrect it with new entries I would certainly enjoy reading more of the same. As always, thanks for your many contributions to the hobby.

Regards,
Brian B
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Brian B wrote:
I tripped over this thread about six months ago and learned quite a bit. Steve, if you want to resurrect it with new entries I would certainly enjoy reading more of the same. As always, thanks for your many contributions to the hobby.

Regards,
Brian B

Thanks for the kind words Brian
i wasnt really fishing for a compliment ...just saying how things have changed over the years
anyway..only thing that really matters is that the hobby is ...

Alive And Kicking Regards
Steve
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

Steve B wrote:
Brian B wrote:

Regards,
Brian B

Thanks for the kind words Brian
i wasnt really fishing for a compliment ...just saying how things have changed over the years
anyway..only thing that really matters is that the hobby is ...

Alive And Kicking Regards
Steve

Methinks you are getting somewhat paranoid, Steven. NOBODY here want to bother nobody, not even to a guy like you....

Fern
Festina Lente
Reinfeld

Post by Reinfeld »

My favorite portion of the old thread Steve cited is (I hesitate to disclose) the reference to the Tiger Chess Grenadier/Millennium Genesis, which I now covet like mad. A late entrant in the mid-level world, and the only offering from a newer programmer. Fun!

- R.
– H.G. Wells