Tandy Radio Shack 1900L Revisited!

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Mentat

Tandy Radio Shack 1900L Revisited!

Post by Mentat »

Some of you might remember that I asked about the Radio Shack 1900L computer, wishing to find out more as I'd been offered to buy one in great condition. Nick helped me by posting several games by the computer. Anyway, I did buy that Tandy RS 1900L. And I am not regretting. On the contrary, the thing seems to be a real Fidelity Excellence (latest version) hampered by only the 2 mhz chip. However, it still plays so-called “jungle chess” and is pretty good in the endgame. It has also passed the initial real game test against the Conquistador (I know, I know, but the Conquistador IS rated 1615 in active chess and I had to start someplace…) and the Mephisto Europa A.

The first endgame I tried it on was the must-be-tried—on endgame positon: 1b6/1P2k3/1PK3Pp/7P/5p2/4pB2/8/8 w - - 0 1 that no high-end Morsch program (except the Atlanta and the Magellan) could solve within a reasonable item-limit and quite a few other programs have not not been able to solve at all. My new Tandy RS 1900L solved it and continued to win without a hitch in only 100 seconds ( 1’40”), which is good.

The second endgame position I set it up to solve was pos #1 from the Bauernendspiel Test: 8/8/8/3p4/7k/8/8/7K w - - 0 1. Solved in about 7 seconds, no problem. The third endgame postion was also from the same test, this time pos #19: 8/8/2k5/8/8/7p/6P1/6K1 w - - 0 1. Again a very fast solution by the little computer, ca. 5 seconds. These two I tried on a random basis, wishing to see if it could play a normal, logical end position following the rule-of-thumb opposition prescriptions.

As I hurried to get a rough idea of its strength, and after making sure that the Tandy RS 1900 was no patzer, I pitted it against the two mentioned computers (Conquistador, Mephisto Europa A). The Tandy passed this first real playing test with flying colors: it beat the Conquistador 6-0, always playing black. Only once was it in danger of losing a game, when it was on its knees trying to survive the rook endgame with one pawn against three pawns. But then it simply swindled the Conquistador and managed to promote his sole pawn and eventually win the game. The next opponent was stronger (ranked at 1705 at rapid), the Mephisto Europa A, and the Tandy won the match at 30 sec per move by 5-1 (two draws).

I will try to play more games vs the Conquistador (it running on batteries and easy to handle in my lap) and calculate the provisional rating for the Tandy 1900L. But my first results and opservations indicate that this computer needs to be thoroughly tested as it’s not merely an entertaining toy (which it really might be :), but also a very solid and tough opponent that can give any class A or even expert player a run for his money. My very early tentative estimate puts it somewhere between 1720-1750 elo at the active chess level. And it is tough and resilient. One world of caution: when plugged in it is in easy mode by default, meaning that you have to press OPTION and then the A1 square so as to take it out of easy mode (have pondering enabled).

All in all, I am a happy camper now enjoying my latest acquisiton. And, yes, it produces a very clear and intelligible voice with cool comments every now and then. It does not babble at all. I loved the way it announced a mate in 4 to the Mephisto Europa and the Mephisto was actually mated in only two :( Unfortunately, I haven't saved the games, just played the games, so you'll need to take my word for this.

Dj.