My old addiction

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Reinfeld

My old addiction

Post by Reinfeld »

I bought it - a GK 2000 with the original box, no manual. Paid 63 large. Didn't need it - screw it, I didn't have one. I have RS 2200X, purported clone. I've got GK 2100 variants spilling out of my bookshelves. No official GK 2000, though.

I hate myself.

- R.
"You have, let us say, a promising politician, a rising artist that you wish to destroy. Dagger or bomb are archaic and unreliable - but teach him, inoculate him with chess."
– H.G. Wells
Steve B
Site Admin

Re: My old addiction

Post by Steve B »

Reinfeld wrote:I bought it - a GK 2000 with the original box, no manual. Paid 63 large. Didn't need it - screw it, I didn't have one. I have RS 2200X, purported clone. I've got GK 2100 variants spilling out of my bookshelves. No official GK 2000, though.

I hate myself.

- R.
63.. large?
would that be 63k?

$63 bucks for a boxed GK2000 is a pretty good deal R

Nit Picking Regards
Steve
Reinfeld

Post by Reinfeld »

63.. large?
would that be 63k?
In fact, yes - $63K, but well worth it. This particular GK 2000 is the ultra-rare version, unknown to all but a few knowledgeable collectors such as Steve, who has one of the seven known originals. The one I've purchased also comes from this group.

What makes it special? Auto-sensory board (rather than pressure), and an early version of voice activation technology: You say your move aloud and the machine makes it for you. Small variations in the packaging - a slightly lighter red, and minute differences in the Saitek logo and font - distinguish it from the "regular" GK 2000 known to so many of us.

In addition, the embedded engine is Morsch's so-called Nuclear Fritz - a secret beta version, unreleased as commercial software until the late 2000s, sold as Fritz 12, but heavily defanged in comparison to the original.

So I'm poorer in cash, but

richer in spirit regards,

- R.
"You have, let us say, a promising politician, a rising artist that you wish to destroy. Dagger or bomb are archaic and unreliable - but teach him, inoculate him with chess."
– H.G. Wells
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Reinfeld wrote:
63.. large?
would that be 63k?
In fact, yes - $63K, but well worth it. This particular GK 2000 is the ultra-rare version, unknown to all but a few knowledgeable collectors such as Steve, who has one of the seven known originals. The one I've purchased also comes from this group.

What makes it special? Auto-sensory board (rather than pressure), and an early version of voice activation technology: You say your move aloud and the machine makes it for you. Small variations in the packaging - a slightly lighter red, and minute differences in the Saitek logo and font - distinguish it from the "regular" GK 2000 known to so many of us.

In addition, the embedded engine is Morsch's so-called Nuclear Fritz - a secret beta version, unreleased as commercial software until the late 2000s, sold as Fritz 12, but heavily defanged in comparison to the original.

So I'm poorer in cash, but

richer in spirit regards,

- R.
all of which leads to an interesting question....
http://hiarcs.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=68995#68995

Linking Regards
Steve