Collector's Corner... Your Most Expensive Chess Computer...

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Steve B
Site Admin

Collector's Corner... Your Most Expensive Chess Computer...

Post by Steve B »

For me it was the Mephisto WunderMachine
after the lousy Dollar to Euro Conversion it cost me close to 8K(shipped)
or as Reinfield would say...8 Large
after that the Revelaton II and I boards

i imagine most will have spent the most on one of the Phoenix computers as they are quite expensive

but after that ..which one was your most Expensive?

Money Matters Regards
Steve
pr1uk

Post by pr1uk »

Wow a lot of money but then again how many of these are about and what a great one to own
King Performance Chess Computer M830
fourthirty

Post by fourthirty »

$300 USD for a Pristine Citrine shipped from the UK. Unless you count my DGT board + Pi...

Still playing in the Minor League regards,
Greg
Brian B

Post by Brian B »

This one is easy for me. It was my Leonardo computer that I received as a gift. I would say that one computer has cost me a king's ransom, as it rekindled an interest in dedicated chess computers leading to an avalanche of purchases!

To be specific to the letter of the question, it has to be the Revelation II followed by the Tasc R30, with honorable mentions to Fidelity EAG Elite Premiere and a Fidelity EAG v6. I am a relatively new collector around these parts, but I have learned quickly that wood is more expensive than plastic.

Broke regards,
Brian B
Reinfeld

Post by Reinfeld »

Mine is recent - a Berlin Pro, purchased last October for 860 USD. That's as steep as I've gone for anything. The numbers at that level start to fill me with guilt, but I knew I had to grit my teeth and try for it.

Second place - my RISC 2500, picked up about two years ago for around 500 USD. Considering the numbers I've been seeing for those lately, I have to say it was a decent pickup (though I can't beat the $5 apiece for a pair of RISCs at a thrift store.)

- R.
"You have, let us say, a promising politician, a rising artist that you wish to destroy. Dagger or bomb are archaic and unreliable - but teach him, inoculate him with chess."
– H.G. Wells
xchessg

Post by xchessg »

For me it was a fidelity V11. Payed a whopping 2600 Euro for that... It was a stroke of madness. Anyway, I had to have a Fidelity and original ones are way to weak for me, so... I only like the beautiful pieces and the shape of the board, and dislike the buttons and very prominent Leds. The Sparc Renaissance is the Jewel on the Spracklens crown for me.

The good thing about dedicated chess computers is that one can always stumble upon another fool prepared to give about the same amount of money, or more, which one has payed himself for it...

Xavier
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Brian B wrote:This one is easy for me. It was my Leonardo computer that I received as a gift. I would say that one computer has cost me a king's ransom, as it rekindled an interest in dedicated chess computers leading to an avalanche of purchases!
Broke regards,
Brian B
:P
Money....
Well Spent Regards
Steve
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

pr1uk wrote:Wow a lot of money but then again how many of these are about and what a great one to own
All true
i was able to mitigate the economic damage to my net worth by cutting back on the Wife's unnecessary spending on luxury items( such as medical supplies and day to day food intake)

she has actually thanked me for this ..having lost some weight.. although she has developed a rather nasty cough...

Oh Well Regards
Steve
kgvetter

Post by kgvetter »

So far the most I shelled out was well above € 2000 for my EAG Premiere but I have no regret at all, it is may favorite machine and in perfect cosmetic and technical shape...

I am glad to hear that Reinfelds Risc 2500 is still in fine working order which it should remain for a while since the problem parts, the general address logic chips (GALs), were renewed before I sold it to him...

The only item I would spend larger amounts on in the future is the Sparc-module in an appropiate housing (Renaissance).

There is one currently on ebay, but, as always, my bank says yes but my wife would say no and she is not even coughing yet.

Coughing up the money regards,

Gerhard
Larry

Post by Larry »

I paid as much as 850 euro for a Montreux. I knew I was overpaying but I
was sick of waiting. It was a few years back, and to be fair to myself it's
probably worth about that now. I wonder how much my Chessmaster9000
is worth. :cry:
About one year back I got a second Montreux for 360 euro. I wanted a
128kb one and a 2mb one.
Apart from this I can't think of any comp I paid big bucks for, except maybe
my second Berlin Pro (non London), for about 600 euro.
I've found over the years that chess comps are a great hobby, even with the
occasional breakdown. They bring endless hours of enjoyment, and the
knowledge that your money was not "spent", but rather invested.
L
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

When you chase after high end computers, there are a lot of expensive purchases that you bite the bullet with. I can't recall them all because of preferring to have a selective memory loss after the purchase, but I think most probably it was my first TM a TM Lyon that cost a lot of money especially after adding a huge custom made camera like case that I had specially made in Germany to it to protect it when you store it, which alone cost about $1000.00 only for the case and then adding FedEx Shipping from Germany and insurance which also cost around $500.

So all in all it was very very expensive. I can however also recall buying a hard to find Mephisto Module and spending well over $2K for just the modules, which has to be close to a record as well :roll:

But I can't and won't complain as I am getting a lot of enjoyment as well from them.

Best regards
Nick
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

In my case my highest expenditure ascended to the astronomical amount of 29.9 bucks, which I used to purchase a very common comp in eBay.
Most of the other has been gifts from Steven, when still loved me.

I am a ruined man regards
Fern
Festina Lente
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Fernando wrote:In my case my highest expenditure ascended to the astronomical amount of 29.9 bucks, which I used to purchase a very common comp in eBay.

Fern
you have not even spent $30 for any chess computer??
Pffft
i spent more then that for tipping the fed ex delivery guy that delivered my last chess computer

CLJ L'Emperour Regards
Steve
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

Steve B wrote:
Fernando wrote:In my case my highest expenditure ascended to the astronomical amount of 29.9 bucks, which I used to purchase a very common comp in eBay.

Fern
you have not even spent $30 for any chess computer??
Pffft
i spent more then that for tipping the fed ex delivery guy that delivered my last chess computer

CLJ L'Emperour Regards
Steve

It was a JOKE Steven
You should know I have expended at least 78 bucks all in all.

Miss understanding regards
Fern
Festina Lente
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

spacious_mind wrote: When you chase after high end computers, there are a lot of expensive purchases that you bite the bullet with. I can't recall them all because of preferring to have a selective memory loss after the purchase
actually I am a bit anal retentive when it comes to all of the money I have spent on chess computers over the years
I have been maintaining a list for 38 years which has the cost (including shipping,tax and tip) of every single computer I have ever paid for
the list even includes the cost of repairs I had to make on any chess computer that went defective
even without building in the cost of inflation .....the total is ...

Staggering Regards
Steve