Collector's Corner... Your Most Expensive Chess Computer...

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

May I try a guess of your total expenditure?

200 kbucks.....

Fern
Festina Lente
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Fernando wrote:May I try a guess of your total expenditure?

200 kbucks.....

Fern
Amazingly Close Regards
Steve
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

Steve B wrote:

200 kbucks.....

Fern
Amazingly Close Regards
Steve
Well, if you can expended that serious money to purchase that stuff, you surely can rent mys Serbians to keep them safe.
I would be happy with a yearly subscription of 30 kbucks.

eBay regards
Fern
Festina Lente
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Fernando wrote:
Steve B wrote:

200 kbucks.....

Fern
Amazingly Close Regards
Steve
Well, if you can expended that serious money to purchase that stuff, you surely can rent mys Serbians to keep them safe.
I would be happy with a yearly subscription of 30 kbucks.

eBay regards
Fern
now that is in AFTER TAX dollars
all of the income I earn I must declare to the IRS and pay taxes
(unlike you ..who hides all of the income from the taxing authorities in Chile and pay little or no taxes)

assuming I was in an avg.tax bracket all of those years of about 30% that means I had to spend about $300,000 of my taxable income for my collection

CPA Regards
Steve
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

Once again you laugh on me. To pay my taxes, which are 45% of my year income, I must every time ask a credit to pay, so i am deprived of all my savings and preparing a runaway to a savage African country where you face just Hoko Baram gorillas and the mosquitoes,. Anything is less harmful that Chilean tax authorities.

In ruins regards
Fern
Festina Lente
JeffB

Post by JeffB »

My most expensive is not for a single computer, but for a system: I'm slowly assembling the Novag Super System with the goal of eventually having one each of the components.

So far I have:
  • Autosensory Board (tournament size)
    Distributor
    Universal Chess Board (granddaddy of the Citrine)
    Super VIP
    Sapphire
    Sapphire II
    Printer
Multiples of all except printer and UCB. All in excellent condition (except one well-worn Super VIP and one scratched-up Sapphire II), some unopened in the box. Probably well over $1000USD so far but I like the ability to mix and match my system setup. I'm kicking myself for passing on the TV interface, but at the time I thought, hey, this is the digital video age, we don't use NTSC (Never Twice the Same Color) any more, so what do I need that for? Live and learn (and cry a bit).

One goal is to have the printer available to the entire system, but I need to somehow get my hands on the interface protocol and command set for the printer, because I'll need to make my own interface device.
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

JeffB wrote:My most expensive is not for a single computer, but for a system: I'm slowly assembling the Novag Super System with the goal of eventually having one each of the components.

So far I have:
  • Autosensory Board (tournament size)
    Distributor
Welcome to the Forum Jeff
novag also released a smaller pressure sensory board for the Super System
that tournament size auto sensory board is fairly rare
I never could get it to work well with the Distributor box and any of the novag computers
does it work well for you ?

Distribution Rights Regards
Steve
JeffB

Post by JeffB »

Hi, Steve -

Thanks for the nice welcome!

I only tried a quick "smoke test" on one of the two tourney sized boards, because I realized that if I blew up the Distributor, then I'd no longer have a system. So I'm "reverse engineering" the Distributor to make two versions, one a complete replica, the other an improved version with new technology. This way, I can connect without having to worry about releasing the magic smoke from the original. When I have those working, I'll probably post plans or pictures, either to the forum or on a yet-to-be-created project site. I'll also post info on how well the whole system performs.

I'll have to dig out my Distributor user manual to map out the other pieces I'm missing, like the pressure-sensitive board you mentioned. But I'm very partial to the autosense boards, not a big fan of the pressure-sensitive ones, though a few are pretty nice (the Saitek Executive and Saitek Mephisto Challenger come to mind).

Cheers,

Jeff
Monsieur Plastique

Post by Monsieur Plastique »

My most expensive machine would definitely be my Saitek Bullet. It cost me 36 weeks of wages (a total of 10 Really Great British Pounds) from that kindly gentleman who goes by the surname Hallsworth. It was his last machine - a mint condition demo in immaculate order - and I imagine he took pity on me when I mentioned that nothing larger could ever fit in my dilly bag.

Apart from that, my machines have been acquired through begging, barter, payment-in-kind for services rendered and in later years deception, theft, corruption and coercion.
Chess is like painting the Mona Lisa whilst walking through a minefield.
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Monsieur Plastique wrote:
Apart from that, my machines have been acquired through begging, barter, payment-in-kind for services rendered and in later years deception, theft, corruption and coercion.
Sure Signs of a true collector...

Machiavellian Regards
Steve
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

Steve B wrote:

Machiavellian Regards
Steve
I always had the feeling that I have fallen in a net of wasps, serial killers and madmen.
BTW...

I wonder what would happen If i advertise here my desire to trad e one comp for another....
Festina Lente
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Fernando wrote:
Steve B wrote:

Machiavellian Regards
Steve
I always had the feeling that I have fallen in a net of wasps, serial killers and madmen.
BTW...

I wonder what would happen If i advertise here my desire to trad e one comp for another....
Trade offers are always welcome
i know you are searching for a nice Fidelity Champion Sensory
i can offer you one in return for a .....

Saitek Risc 2500-128kb Regards
Steve
P.S. Risc in its box of Course
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

Steve B wrote:
Fernando wrote:
Steve B wrote:

Machiavellian Regards
Steve
BTW...

Trade offers are always welcome
i know you are searching for a nice Fidelity Champion Sensory
i can offer you one in return for a .....

Saitek Risc 2500-128kb Regards
Steve
P.S. Risc in its box of Course

Really? You want it back?
That COULD be possible, but...
You should add something else...
Let us say....
Mmmm I leave to you the task to tempt me with a second -not necessarily expensive- comp

Saitek Risc send his nostalgicregards
F
Festina Lente
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Fernando wrote: Really? You want it back?
no no
i was only making a small joke...
if i was serious though i would sweeten the pot and add another computer from my doubles collection
so you can see the value of what i am offering you
i show you a current auction for it on Ebay ...
as you can see with your own eyes it is worth $3500

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fidelity-Chess- ... 3cf39db90b

Overly Generous Regards
Steve
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

IF and only If you feel a tremendous desire to get back the saitek, I, moved by friendship, can send it to you for free,
No gifts asked.

Do not forget the check for 5 k bucks regards
Fern
Festina Lente