Alexandra at 35 movs in 90 minutes

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Alexandra at 35 movs in 90 minutes

Post by Fernando »

Funny, but I have never played this computer at this rhythm and I have discovered that for some reason it is lot stronger with this level than with some others very similar. I wonder why it is a computer or some programs can change so much from one setting to another.
Maybe the little extra time make a difference letting the engine goes just a little but meaningful deeper search?
I suppose it is the answer, but perhaps some other factor operate.
Festina Lente
Mentat

Re: Alexandra at 35 movs in 90 minutes

Post by Mentat »

Fernando wrote:Funny, but I have never played this computer at this rhythm and I have discovered that for some reason it is lot stronger with this level than with some others very similar. I wonder why it is a computer or some programs can change so much from one setting to another.
Maybe the little extra time make a difference letting the engine goes just a little but meaningful deeper search?
Fern,

just one ply more and the thing is much stronger. I doubt that it does go a whole ply deeper but it may extend the search a bit more and you feel the difference. I am currently trying to see if I can hear yet again my Tandy 1900L cry out the funny "I think I am onto something", followed by "Gimme your rook!", which lead to its inevitable surrender. There is something about these little talking thingies that makes them irresistible to me :)
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Re: Alexandra at 35 movs in 90 minutes

Post by Fernando »

Mentat wrote:
Fernando wrote:Funny, but I have never played this computer at this rhythm and I have discovered that for some reason it is lot stronger with this level than with some others very similar. I wonder why it is a computer or some programs can change so much from one setting to another.
Fern,

just one ply more and the thing is much stronger. I doubt that it does go a whole ply deeper but it may extend the search a bit more and you feel the difference. I am currently trying to see if I can hear yet again my Tandy 1900L cry out the funny "I think I am onto something", followed by "Gimme your rook!", which lead to its inevitable surrender. There is something about these little talking thingies that makes them irresistible to me :)

Irresistible they are because of those frills, because they associate with our younger years, when we got them, but specially because we can defeat them :-)

Fern
Festina Lente