Selective search Magazine

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
scandien

Selective search Magazine

Post by scandien »

Hello all,

i am willing to subscribe to this magazine , mainly to get the VsHuman rating list, but the link on internet seems not working... Is this magazine still alive ?

where can i find Eric Hallsworth's mail? I didn't find it anywhere :(

Best Regards

Nicolas
Steve B
Site Admin

Re: Selective search Magazine

Post by Steve B »

scandien wrote:Hello all,

i am willing to subscribe to this magazine , mainly to get the VsHuman rating list, but the link on internet seems not working... Is this magazine still alive ?

Best Regards

Nicolas
Sadly publication of Selective Search Magaizine ceased a few months ago with Issue 166
it had been published continuously since 1985 and had the rating lists even before the SSDF

Hallsworth is a member and Moderator here
try PM'ing him

Stop The Presses Regards
Steve
Carl Bicknell

Post by Carl Bicknell »

Steve B wrote:

Best Regards

Nicolas
Sadly publication of Selective Search Magaizine ceased a few months ago with Issue 166
it had been published continuously since 1985 and had the rating lists even before the SSDF

try PM'ing him

Stop The Presses Regards
Steve
That is sad. I stopped subscribing around 10 years ago since I gave up chess for a while. But his magazines were a joy in the 90's.

If I were him I think I'd sell them as entire sets of 166 issues on Ebay. Or maybe sell the PDF of them.

I hope dedicated computer chess doesn't die.
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

Carl Bicknell wrote:
Steve B wrote:

Best Regards

Nicolas

try PM'ing him

Stop The Presses Regards
Steve
That is sad. I stopped subscribing around 10 years ago since I gave up chess for a while. But his magazines were a joy in the 90's.

If I were him I think I'd sell them as entire sets of 166 issues on Ebay. Or maybe sell the PDF of them.

I hope dedicated computer chess doesn't die.
Perhaps, as a farewell and a funerary ceremony you could publish here the very last number...in PDF or whatever...

Digging a grave regards
Fern
Festina Lente
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Carl Bicknell wrote:

actually Eric does not have a complete set himself
I was missing a few issues(4-5 or so) and when I contacted him he didn't have all of them either
thanks to Mike Watters I was able to complete the set when he sent me copies of the missing issues

here is what a complete set looks like when bound up in volumes (12 issues to a volume)

a volume open to SS 89:

A Life's Work Regards
Steve
Last edited by Steve B on Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

Steve B wrote:
Carl Bicknell wrote:

I was missing a few issues(4-5 or so) and when I contacted him he didn't have all of them either
thanks to Mike Watters I was able to complete the set when he sent me copies of the missing issues

here is what a complete set looks like when bound up in volumes (12 issues to a volume)

A Life's Work Regards
Steve
Steve:
Your next task of a life, beyond what you have already achieved with your computer collections, is to digitize all that issues, pass that stuff to CD and put them at the disposal of your colleagues here and in the world, at a price or not according your mood.
I am sure you can find some guy to digitize for a discrete sum of money..
Is is all about scanning and no more

It will take you five grands at most regards
Fern
Festina Lente
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Fernando wrote:
Steve B wrote:
Carl Bicknell wrote:

A Life's Work Regards
Steve
Steve:
Your next task of a life, beyond what you have already achieved with your computer collections, is to digitize all that issues, pass that stuff to CD and put them at the disposal of your colleagues here and in the world, at a price or not according your mood.
I am sure you can find some guy to digitize for a discrete sum of money..
Is is all about scanning and no more

It will take you five grands at most regards
Fern
and you must do the same with the thousands of books you have written
most of them best sellers

Pulitzer Regards
Steve
scandien

Post by scandien »

oh this is really a bad news for me... i was searching for the selective rating of dedicated computers versus human ( and versus other machines) ....

Is there a way to get them ?

Best Regards

Nicolas
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Post by Harvey Williamson »

scandien wrote:oh this is really a bad news for me... i was searching for the selective rating of dedicated computers versus human ( and versus other machines) ....

Is there a way to get them ?

Best Regards

Nicolas
A lot of dedicated computers are listed on the ssdf ratings list which is in the tournaments section of the forum.