Chess comp prices - biggest variations

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Reinfeld

Chess comp prices - biggest variations

Post by Reinfeld »

Which machine tends to show the widest price variation in auctions?

I nominate the RS 2250XL for this tricky category. I've seen them posted for $25, $85, $150, etc. It's one of those machines that people don't know well, and I suspect the brand creates presumptions of weakness, though in this case they're erroneous. Clearly the 2250XL is the strongest machine under the Radio Shack banner, and well worth an investment - for its unique design features as well as its strength.

- R.
"You have, let us say, a promising politician, a rising artist that you wish to destroy. Dagger or bomb are archaic and unreliable - but teach him, inoculate him with chess."
– H.G. Wells
Larry

Re: Chess comp prices - biggest variations

Post by Larry »

Reinfeld wrote:Which machine tends to show the widest price variation in auctions?

I nominate the RS 2250XL for this tricky category. I've seen them posted for $25, $85, $150, etc. It's one of those machines that people don't know well, and I suspect the brand creates presumptions of weakness, though in this case they're erroneous. Clearly the 2250XL is the strongest machine under the Radio Shack banner, and well worth an investment - for its unique design features as well as its strength.

- R.
An excellent machine, but with a couple of improvements called for.
The squares need to be pushed way too hard. The display could be put to better use, IMO. Forget the board representation and give big clear
suggested line and score, etc. The addition of hash tables and 16mhz
clock speed would have put it in the big league.

L