Who as the largest collection ?

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Larry

Post by Larry »

ricard60 wrote:I have 8+3/4 computers :D

3/4 still not finished regards
Ricardo :lol:
On the subject of fractions of computers, can we call a non working
chess computer a chess computer? After all, a chess computer, by
definition, computes chess. So, when it breaks down then it is not
strictly speaking, a chess computer until it is fixed. Just my thoughts...
L
spacious_mind

Re: Who as the largest collection ?

Post by spacious_mind »

pr1uk wrote:I wonder who as the largest collection is it Steve, (my guess) Nick or even Hans maybe

Peter
I don't know I have totally lost track keeping up with them. At a guess I would say about 650+ unique, 900+ counting some doubles & modules etc.

I also in addition do love and collect the old home computers and consoles with all their chess programs raging from Atari, Commodore, Sinclair, TRS, TI, Apple, BBC, Amstrad, Colecovision, Intellivision etc etc.

Also the old Pocket PC's and Palms and their chess programs, I have those complete ranging from the original first Palm to 720 MHz.

And of course old DOS computers and all their chess programs.

And lastly chess books, books more about the players themselves, their history and games (not much interested in opening books)

So that I think summarizes my chess interest :)

I think every collector has his uniqueness. Steve chases after the old vintage really rare ones, that I think is his main passion. Mike W looks for completeness on the pre 1984 (I think) and British influence. And Hans has already mentioned the great Dutch collectors. German collectors seem to be losing more and more interest, judging by all the selling off from previously large collections that has been going on in the last 2 or 3 years. The great German collections are diminishing as retirement sets in. Spain and France are alive and have grown some in people interested in chess computers in recent years.

OK that's my Birds eye view of how I think collecting looks today.

Best regards

Nick
Nick
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

spacious_mind wrote:
I don't know I have totally lost track keeping up with them. At a guess I would say about 650+ unique, 900+ counting some doubles & modules etc.
Hey Nick
thats a pretty impressive collection!
650+ computers/modules not counting doubles
i have about 475 not counting doubles

i am trying to figure out where i would be 175 or so under you?

it cant be from any of the major companies because i have almost everything ever released except for a handful of very rare items

i dont own any of the "off" brands like Millenium ,Sakur ,Langjun...etc.etc
would you say your collection consists of 175+- of these brands?

Doin The Math Regards
Steve
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Steve B wrote:
spacious_mind wrote:
Hey Nick
thats a pretty impressice collection
650+ computers/modules not counting doubles
i have about 475 not couting doubles

i am trying to figure out where i would be 125 or so under you?

it cant be from any of the major companies because i have almost everything ever released except for a handful of very rare items

i dont own any of the "off" brands like Millennium ,Sakur ,Langjun...etc.etc
would you say your collection consists of 100+ of these brands?

Doin The Math Regards
Steve
HI Steve,

I have so many more cheapies than you. :roll: Systema's Millennium, Tigers, Kryptons, Schneiders and a few other. Excalibur missing about 3 or 4 to be complete I have 70+ with doubles 66 I think unqiue. 33 unique RadioShack's and a few other off brands as well.

I am sure you don't collect most of these.

It also maybe how we count, Sensor Chess I count at three because I have 3 base computers, one for each of the modules. 3 R30's = 3 because of Gideon, King 2.2 and 2.5. You don't count Chessmachines I have 14 Chessmachine cards meaning I can count the different programs.

I think these differences may make up the count difference to how you count. You for example don't even acknowledge Chessmachines :)

Revelations and Resurrections I count as two each since I have two of each for all those programs (which I don't count) :)

Best regards
Nick
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Hi Nick
thanks for that analysis

while you are correct in that i dont have an interest in these "off" brands ( i own 1 Millennium) i dont really look down on these models or consider them beneath me
as far as i am concerned the more models/makers of dedicated chess computers there are in this world ..the better the world will be

you are spot on with your opinion of my chief collecting interest
i am always on the prowl for those rare birds still in the wild

Bird Watching Regards
Steve
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Steve B wrote:Hi Nick
thanks for that analysis

while you are correct in that i dont have an interest in these "off" brands ( i own 1 Millennium) i dont really look down on these models or consider them beneath me
as far as i am concerned the more models/makers of dedicated chess computers there are in this world ..the better the world will be

you are spot on with your opinion of my chief collecting interest
i am always on the prowl for those rare birds still in the wild

Bird Watching Regards
Steve
Hi Steve,

I know you don't discount any dedicated's (other than chessmachines :) ) but the point I was hoping to make is that they are not as high on your priority list for acquisitions, since if you really wanted them you would have had them by now since they are all mostly still very easily available. These off-brands unless the odd one becomes rare are not as high on the "must have list" :)

Best regards
Nick
Reinfeld

Post by Reinfeld »

I'm a humble peasant. All I seek is a Tiger Grenadier.

- R.
"You have, let us say, a promising politician, a rising artist that you wish to destroy. Dagger or bomb are archaic and unreliable - but teach him, inoculate him with chess."
– H.G. Wells
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

I wonder if these incredible collectors we have here knows than in some Chinese sites you can order chess computers. I have seen to date just one model, BUT the sheer fact of its rarity should awake some interest...

Fern
Festina Lente