strongest level

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
rookorbycrook

strongest level

Post by rookorbycrook »

Hi all. ... Hope ya all having a wicked easter...... I would like to know about the saitek president .... I own 2 now.. One the " president " and the other. " präsident "... Both are same as you know but the President gets a draw against chess.com computer and the President does not... I have seen the post about the strongest settings for these machines are the power up default settings.... However if you have the book fl on does this not open the machine up fully.? Plus in the other post Steve mentions there are other levels to be maximised .... So as you say default settings are level 005 at five seconds a move .....is the strongest and then if you press the level button again its level 2:00 then if you press the level button you get 1:30:35 then if you press level again you get 20:99 then level again you get fun:4 then level again mate in four then level again ply 4 then ply 12 then back to level 005 ..... I know pressing the level button goes through 8 levels at at time...what I want to know is obviously level 005 is the strongest out of levels 1-8 and the level 2:00 is the strongest out of levels 9 to 16 and the strongest tournament level is 1:30:35... And the strongest speed level is 20:99 and the strongest fun level is fun 4: and the strongest in mate level is mate in 4 and the strongest search depth is 4ply and then ply 12..... So out of those 8 strongest levels which is the strongest level of them all ????? When I.play them against each other sometimes the president wins sometimes the prasident .... I just need to know plus why does having active or massive or random weaken the machine or having full book on weaken it to ???? So in a nutshell which level is the strongest as the manual says the more time the president has to think the stronger it becomes .... Many thanks ian
    rookorbycrook

Post by rookorbycrook »

Active .... Passive... Sorry not massive spelling mistake
    Cornersquare

Post by Cornersquare »

As far as I understood your posting, you seem

1) to have some problems in adjusting the playing strenghts of your "President" and "Präsident", apparently two computers of the same make, and

2) you wonder why the two computers do not play equally in same positions.

Question Number two I cannot answer, since I don't own those devices.

Referring to the first question I can only describe how my chess computer works. Most other board computers work alike: You have to press the "level"-button first and after that tab with your finger on a square of the chessboard. A playing-level will appear in the display. If you tab on another square, a lower or higher level or a level of another kind of playing the computer (e.g. tournament -levels, fun-levels, mate-searching levels …) will be adjusted.
    rookorbycrook

Post by rookorbycrook »

Corner square no I don't have a problem if you read what I put I said which is the strongest level of them all .... And was explaining that i have two machines and was really looking for an answer off Steve but thanks all the same...

Steve has a post here where he says the power on default settings are the strongest ie leave selective search on and easy option off.... Then if you press the level button it will scroll through the levels that they are set on ..... Which are the default power on settings.... But there are 8 ie you have level 4 out of the levels 1 to 8.....then between levels 9-16 its set at level 12 ( 2 mins a move ) then between level 17 - 24 level 20 is 35 moves in 1 hour 30.... Then level 28 is 20 minutes per game then level 36 is fun level #4 then level 44 is mate in 4.....then level 52 is search depth 4 ply... Then level 60 is search depth ply 12.. So basically in a nutshell if you play level 60 is that stronger than level 4...... Is level 28 ( 20 mins per game ) stronger than level 4 ??? Ive played on level four ( 5 seconds a move OK and won twice )... But then lost on level 1 it just seems harder sometimes as you can see I've had the machine since 1994 my grade is currently 67 but I can beat players graded 120 and also drew against a 140 graded player over the board.........
    Last edited by rookorbycrook on Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Steve B
    Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

rookorbycrook wrote:Corner square no I don't have a problem if you read what I put I said which is the strongest level of them all .... And was explaining that i have two machines in was really looking for an answer off Steve but thanks all the same .
    Hi Ian
    nice to see you again

other then stating the obvious ...
    the highest Tournament level should be the strongest level of all ..
    its possible the highest ply level might be the strongest but I am not sure if the search routines are the same for ply levels vs..normal game playing levels
    of course the infinite level will be even stronger
    :P
    as to why you have two Presidents that do not play the same way
    here I am ...

Clueless Regards
    Steve
    rookorbycrook

Post by rookorbycrook »

Hi guys and hello Steve...... How are you all doing thanks for getting back to me ..... That's a bundle of useful information to know now......I did have it set on the 15 min a move level once and it hadn't moved after five hours lol can you believe it..... I'll do a pgn of one of their games against each other ....... Also the strongest tournament level is the 1:30:35 then ..... I mean I've checked the nodes as well when its calculating is been as high as 3700 before on level 4 ( 5 seconds a move ) ..... Played search ply 4 is matchable around level 4 ( 5 seconds a move ) ........
    rookorbycrook

Post by rookorbycrook »

How do I upload a photo please ??
    rookorbycrook

Post by rookorbycrook »

Also Steve what happens if you turn the active....passive....random.....tournament opening book on whilst on a strongest setting ....for example if you have tournament opening book switched on it states in the manual ( when you select to turn the tournament book option on, the computer is forces to always select the best possible line of play in every opening position. Whilst this results in the best play, it also narrows down the computers choice of moves by limiting its available book lines..... So if you have it on a tournament level with tournament option on, this is extra strong than if the tournament option was off..... And say you have it on level 4 ( 5 seconds a move ) with tournament opening book on what does that do??? Like with BOOK ON OR OFF when you turn book off the computer is forces to take time to think of its moves from the very beginning of the game, rather than using book moves.... Also FULL OPENING LIBRARY turning on full book option gives the computer the freedom to choose any move from its opening library , so you will see a greater variety of book lines being played... STEVE SORRY I'm bombarding you with all this but its been boggling my mind for years now haha I've forgotten to ask can you beat the president ?? Also do you play on chess.com and who else plays on chess.com ????
    Steve B
    Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Well I think what the manual means is if you turn OFF the book then the computer will try to find the strongest move...it does not mean it will play stronger then if the book was ON
    believe me..the computer will not play a better game with its book OFF
    also ..no matter what playing level you have it on..it will play the same exact book moves ..the difference in playing will come only when the computer is finished with its book moves

as to which book is the strongest..generally speaking the Tournamant book should be the strongest but again I have not tested this

as to whether or not I can beat the President...
    haven't really used the President in some time but remembering how it played in our 3 game match on Playchess
    I suppose if I set the President to FUN LEVEL 1..Book OFF,Pondering OFF and remove its Queen I might have a ...

Fighting Chance Regards
    Steve
    rookorbycrook

Post by rookorbycrook »

Jolly good Steve that's a massive help thanking you....... Do you get to go Washington Square park?? Here in england Birmingham is where I am from with my brummy accent haha they have put two stone chess tables in the city centre so happy the construction company mace put them there ... Also on about having tournaments there in the summer along with jazz bands
    Steve B
    Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

rookorbycrook wrote:Jolly good Steve that's a massive help thanking you....... Do you get to go Washington Square park?? Here in england Birmingham is where I am from with my brummy accent haha they have put two stone chess tables in the city centre so happy the construction company mace put them there ... Also on about having tournaments there in the summer along with jazz bands
    Actually ...Yes ..I have played Skittles there over the years
    actually saw Josh Waitzkin play there as a child
    he was in the movie Searching For Bobby Fischer
    never tried to play him though
    I could not bare losing to someone that came up to my kneecap
    also played a bit in Bryant Park and in Central park
    lots of chess hustlers there..
    you win a close game or two for a $1-$2 a game and then when its $20 a game these guys blitz you off the board before you know what happened next

Do The Hustle Regards
    Steve
    Steve B
    Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

rookorbycrook wrote:How do I upload a photo please ??
    you have to have the photo on a web site somewhere
    then you post the address or URL here
    you cannot upload a photo straight from your computer to the forum here

Camera Shy Regards
    Steve
    rookorbycrook

Post by rookorbycrook »

Steve thanks a.lot matey ..... If I ever get the chance to come to New York I'll let ya know I'm gunna put up a president vs President game in a bit..... Level setting 1:30:35. Book on tournament see what happens ; )
    rookorbycrook

PRESIDENT VS PRÄSIDENT SAITEK CHESS COMPUTERS

Post by rookorbycrook »

Well after a long battle it turns out the PRÄSIDENT WON THE FIRST BLOOD......

[Event "PRESIDENT VS PRÄSIDENT"]
    [Site "IANS HOME"]
    [Date "2015.04.04"]
    [Round "1"]
    [White "President"]
    [Black "Präsident"]
    [Result "0-1"]

1. d4 d5 2. c4 e6 3. Nf3 Nf6 4. Bg5 Be7 5. cxd5 exd5 6. e3 Nbd7 7. Bd3 Ne4 8.
    Bxe7 Qxe7 9. O-O O-O 10. Nc3 c6 11. a4 Re8 12. a5 a6 13. Rc1 Ndf6 14. Ne5 Be6
    15. Nxe4 dxe4 16. Bc4 Nd5 17. Bb3 Qg5 18. Bxd5 cxd5 19. f4 exf3 20. Rxf3 Rac8
    21. Rxc8 Rxc8 22. b4 Bf5 23. Rg3 Qe7 24. Rf3 g6 25. Qb3 Qd6 26. Rf1 f6 27. Rxf5
    gxf5 28. Nd3 Rc4 29. g3 Kf7 30. Kf2 b5 31. axb6 Qxb6 32. Qd1 Qe6 33. Nc5 Qc6 34.
    Qh5+ Kg8 35. Qxf5 Rxb4 36. Kg2 Rb6 37. Kf3 a5 38. e4 dxe4+ 39. Qxe4 Kf7 40. Kf4
    Qxe4+ 41. Kxe4 Ke7 42. Kd5 h5 43. Na4 Rb1 44. Nc3 Rb2 45. h4 Rg2 46. Nb5 Rxg3
    47. Kc5 Kd8 48. Na7 a4 49. Nc6+ Ke8 50. Nb4 a3 51. Kc4 Rh3 52. Na2 Rxh4 53. Kb3
    Rh3+ 54. Ka4 Rf3 55. d5 h4 *

(Sent via Analyze This (Free) http://goo.gl/g0ERZ)
    Fernando
    Admiral of the Fleet

Re: strongest level

Post by Fernando »

rookorbycrook wrote:Hi all. ... Hope ya all having a wicked easter...... I would like to know about the saitek president .... I own 2 now.. One the " president " and the other. " präsident "... Both are same as you know but the President gets a draw against chess.com computer and the President does not... I have seen the post about the strongest settings for these machines are the power up default settings.... However if you have the book fl on does this not open the machine up fully.? Plus in the other post Steve mentions there are other levels to be maximised .... So as you say default settings are level 005 at five seconds a move .....is the strongest and then if you press the level button again its level 2:00 then if you press the level button you get 1:30:35 then if you press level again you get 20:99 then level again you get fun:4 then level again mate in four then level again ply 4 then ply 12 then back to level 005 ..... I know pressing the level button goes through 8 levels at at time...what I want to know is obviously level 005 is the strongest out of levels 1-8 and the level 2:00 is the strongest out of levels 9 to 16 and the strongest tournament level is 1:30:35... And the strongest speed level is 20:99 and the strongest fun level is fun 4: and the strongest in mate level is mate in 4 and the strongest search depth is 4ply and then ply 12..... So out of those 8 strongest levels which is the strongest level of them all ????? When I.play them against each other sometimes the president wins sometimes the prasident .... I just need to know plus why does having active or massive or random weaken the machine or having full book on weaken it to ???? So in a nutshell which level is the strongest as the manual says the more time the president has to think the stronger it becomes .... Many thanks ian
      Dear friend:
      I still do not know if your pen name or your style of writing is the most difficult thing. ...
      Please, try to be a bit more clear. Not everybody here has the training of an Irish pub.

Fern
      Festina Lente