"Joining Forces...."

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

"Joining Forces...."

Post by Fernando »

In the back of the cardboard where Karpov 2294 comes, Karpov wrote, between others consideration, the following sentence: "I have joined forces with Excalibur Electronics to bring you a new breed of electronic chess computer...."

How many times we have read similar lines! It has been done by Karparov, by Alexandra Kosteniuk, by Karpov, by many others..

Joining forces...!!!

What forces they have added, beyond the appeal of his o her name? Did they took just one look at the program?
None.
It has been a marketing trick almost as old as the industry itself. Those GM have only joined a check. probably not even have written the lines they supposedly wrote.
Sheer commerce.
We all know that, of course, >I am not uncovering a revelation, but the same, each time I see that in the package, I feel I am being considered a moron that will believe what those money seekers people -as so many chess players- propose.

So...

Get F...Karpov...

Fern
Festina Lente
scandien

Post by scandien »

I will be too harsh with Karpov .. He is really involved in Chess development all around the world...
I read somewhere ( don't remember where) that he accepted to be involved with Chess Champion ( Novag and scysis) but the fee was reversed to a association for children ... With FIDE and UNICEF he was involved with children too... Not sure that Karpov get many money with this...

He is a really a gentle man

bes regards

Nicolas
SirDave

Post by SirDave »

Karpov should have said he was joining forces with Novag since the Karpov 2294 is just a repackaged Novag Emerald Classic Plus...

P.S. I like my Karpov 2294 so much, I sold my new Novag Obsidian, realizing I had no use for it.
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Post by Harvey Williamson »

scandien wrote:I read somewhere ( don't remember where) that he accepted to be involved with Chess Champion
I bought a Chess Champion Mark 1 it played awful Chess. I remember the side of the box has a quote from Karpov. It said something about the remarkable game variations that the Computer played. I never noticed any of them however.... However it was my 1st Chess Computer and got me hooked!
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Harvey Williamson wrote:
scandien wrote:I read somewhere ( don't remember where) that he accepted to be involved with Chess Champion
I bought a Chess Champion Mark 1 it played awful Chess. I remember the side of the box has a quote from Karpov. It said something about the remarkable game variations that the Computer played. I never noticed any of them however.... However it was my 1st Chess Computer and got me hooked!
Here it is:
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

SirDave wrote:Karpov should have said he was joining forces with Novag since the Karpov 2294 is just a repackaged Novag Emerald Classic Plus...

P.S. I like my Karpov 2294 so much, I sold my new Novag Obsidian, realizing I had no use for it.
I like it too, actually playing games against it.
I wonder which is its real Elo. Certainly not 2294. I would say 1900-2000

Fern
Festina Lente
mclane

Post by mclane »

They also Used all other chess players. Spassky. And and and.
A shame. It was obvious this was all marketing and betrayal.
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Of course the "Kasparov" line of Saitek computers is the most well known of all endorsed computers
never bothered to actually count all of the computers Kasparov's name appears on but I would guess it numbers in the 20-25 range

the.."one time only" endorsements make for interesting collectables
here we have the Conic Korchnoi and the Mephisto Nigel Short

Once Is Enough Regards
Steve
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Steve B wrote:Of course the "Kasparov" line of Saitek computers is the most well known of all endorsed computers
never bothered to actually count all of the computers Kasparov's name appears on but I would guess it numbers in the 20-25 range

Once Is Enough Regards
Steve
A good module for the Exclusive was the Polgar playing at about 1800 elo.
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Harvey Williamson wrote:
Steve B wrote:Of course the "Kasparov" line of Saitek computers is the most well known of all endorsed computers

Once Is Enough Regards
Steve
A good module for the Exclusive was the Polgar playing at about 1800 elo.
Yes..good point
Judit Polgar is also a one time endorsement
another female endorsement would be the former Woman's World Champion GM Alexandra Kosteniuk who endorsed the Excalibur "Alexandra The Great "chess computer
i suppose we can also add Thor's mention of Spassky who appears only once on the box of the Novag MKI

That Makes 5 One Timers Regards
Steve
Cyberchess

Post by Cyberchess »

This thread brings to mind an anecdote I read about pertaining to Mr. Karpov's endorsrment of Novag products during the Soviet era of the 1980's:
Apparently, as a citizen of Russia during the Soviet era, Karpov was required to report his Novag endorsrment earnings to the Russian government. Rather than forfeit his earnings to the state, Karpov allegedly spirited away the funds in a Swiss bank account. During the Soviet era, high profile citizens were closely monitored as defection risks, and the KGB soon learned of Karpov's Swiss bank account. Since he was a world chess champion and national hero, no charges were filed, however, Karpov was required to surrender his account to the state.

Money For Nothing Regards,
John
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

Cyberchess wrote:This thread brings to mind an anecdote I read about pertaining to Mr. Karpov's endorsrment of Novag products during the Soviet era of the 1980's:
Apparently, as a citizen of Russia during the Soviet era, Karpov was required to report his Novag endorsrment earnings to the Russian government. Rather than forfeit his earnings to the state, Karpov allegedly spirited away the funds in a Swiss bank account. During the Soviet era, high profile citizens were closely monitored as defection risks, and the KGB soon learned of Karpov's Swiss bank account. Since he was a world chess champion and national hero, no charges were filed, however, Karpov was required to surrender his account to the state.

Money For Nothing Regards,
John
Maybe the saddest part of this commercial side of GM and chess computers saga is the fact that the amounts of money involved surely were paltry.

Those guys were bought and sold for a buck and a hot dog regards
Fern
Festina Lente