Chess computer collection?Quality,not quantity!

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
vaporizer

Chess computer collection?Quality,not quantity!

Post by vaporizer »

Amount of computers does not matter.What matters is which ones an owner has which are the most sought after,rare,most desirable by the elite collectors,elo strength,ect,ect.

There really is only 2 computers that top the list on truly knowledgeable collectors of vintage systems.And they are(trumpets please!):

1.Tasc R-30

2.Phantom Chesster Eyeball(model 6126)

I would include the Tasc R-40,but there were only a few of those units produced and to even obtain an R-40(probably atleast 4000 US dollars or more) would be next to impossible,since none of the owners would part with them,i'm sure.But I will continue to try!

http://www.ismenio.com/phantom_6126.html

http://www.ismenio.com/tasc.html

I am the proud owner of the Tasc R-30 as well as the Phantom Chesster Eyeball 6126 which moves it own pieces,senses your presence in the room ,talks to you and more.The Tasc R-30(with the upgrade chip) seems to be at the VERY TOP of the chess computers collectors list due to its ELO strength,beautiful wooden board and separate wooden module as you can see pictured in the link above.

Very few collectors own BOTH the Phantom and Chesster.My Tasc was purchased and sent to me in 1995 from Holland and my Chesster was won on an Ebay bid a few years back.

I paid around 2000 dollars for the Tasc when it was new back in the mid 1990's(a ton of money back in the mid 90's!)....and yes,that was the ongoing price at the time.And my Phantom Chesster I won at a top bidding price of $1,500 US on Ebay.If I was to sell either unit(on Ebay),I know for a fact that I could get 1,500 or more for the Tasc(in pristine condition which it is) and at the very least 1000-1200 for the Phantom(but probably more due to its pristine condition).

But I will never sell,never!For if I sell,I will probably never be able to get another one.Collectors rarely sell them,they keep them.Even if offered $10,000 for both,I would say NO!!!!

I'm 60 years old and need to cherish a few things in life.I have my pensions coming in a few years and will live a comfortable life.So more money is meaningless!But the Tasc and Phantom?Irreplaceable!
vaporizer

Post by vaporizer »

Oh,and by the way....
Yes,I know that there is a newer version chess computer that moves its own pieces,ect ect.But that is a much smaller unit with smaller pieces and is JUNK compared to the original Phantom.The Chesster does not get to the top of the collectors list and rarely shows up on Ebay for a reason!!!!Food for thought!
Steve B
Site Admin

Re: Chess computer collection?Quality,not quantity!

Post by Steve B »

vaporizer wrote: There really is only 2 computers that top the list on truly knowledgeable collectors of vintage systems.And they are(trumpets please!):

1.Tasc R-30

2.Phantom Chesster Eyeball(model 6126)

I would include the Tasc R-40,but there were only a few of those units produced and to even obtain an R-40(probably atleast 4000 US dollars or more) would be next to impossible,since none of the owners would part with them,i'm sure.But I will continue to try!

my Phantom Chesster I won at a top bidding price of $1,500 US on Ebay.If I was to sell either unit(on Ebay),I know for a fact that I could get 1,500 or more for the Tasc(in pristine condition which it is) and at the very least 1000-1200 for the Phantom(but probably more due to its pristine condition).
Hi
welcome to the forum

not sure that the R30 and Chesster Eyeball top every knowledgeable collectors list ..i can think of a few computers that would probably top these two as more in demand

anyway i agree with you about the Tasc R40( although i would not consider the R30 rare by any means ..they are expensive though)
as to your Chesster Eyeball...i have seem them sell on Ebay for considerably less than $1000-$1200..last few sold for below $750 IIRC

Fidelity EAG V8 Regards
Steve
Cornersquare

Re: Chess computer collection?Quality,not quantity!

Post by Cornersquare »

vaporizer wrote: But I will never sell,never!For if I sell,I will probably never be able to get another one.Collectors rarely sell them,they keep them.Even if offered $10,000 for both,I would say NO!!!!

I'm 60 years old and need to cherish a few things in life.I have my pensions coming in a few years and will live a comfortable life.So more money is meaningless!But the Tasc and Phantom?Irreplaceable!
Nice posting, vaporizer, which shows that you have your chess-computer heart on the right place. With me it is the same referring to the Mephisto Atlanta, which is - of course - a class under your Tasc, but also very satisfying though.
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Welcome to the Forum, it is always nice to see new dedicated chess computer fans.

However, I have to say that I would think it makes zero sense adding an R40 if you already have an R30. The R40 is minimally stronger agreed, but to repeat the same programs again unless you are hardened collector does not really make much sense at all. If you are looking to spend $4000.00 why not pick 2 or 3 really good alternatives that provide you extra variety and thereby increase your pleasure. Buying an R40 if you already have an R30 would provide zero variety to your chess :)

Best regards,
Nick
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

spacious_mind wrote:Welcome to the Forum, it is always nice to see new dedicated chess computer fans.

However, I have to say that I would think it makes zero sense adding an R40 if you already have an R30. The R40 is minimally stronger agreed, but to repeat the same programs again unless you are hardened collector does not really make much sense at all. If you are looking to spend $4000.00 why not pick 2 or 3 really good alternatives that provide you extra variety and thereby increase your pleasure. Buying an R40 if you already have an R30 would provide zero variety to your chess :)

Best regards,

I do not pretend to consider Chess Champion Challenger as something that call the greed of every collector, being relatively abundant, not the stronger by far, etc, BUT it has the first place in my heart for many reasons. It was the first chess computer with a decent force that I ever had, I enjoyed thousands of hours of pleasure playing very long games, I won and I lost many games and so I look with horrible sadness the corpse of the champion I have and that fell dead last year and is now entombed in one of my closets.
If any of you have one that want to sell, I happily purchase it. I have not seen in eBay, lastly, one in the shells.

Fern
Festina Lente
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Fernando wrote:
spacious_mind wrote:Welcome to the Forum, it is always nice to see new dedicated chess computer fans.

Best regards,

I do not pretend to consider Chess Champion Challenger as something that call the greed of every collector, being relatively abundant, not the stronger by far, etc, BUT it has the first place in my heart for many reasons. It was the first chess computer with a decent force that I ever had, I enjoyed thousands of hours of pleasure playing very long games, I won and I lost many games and so I look with horrible sadness the corpse of the champion I have and that fell dead last year and is now entombed in one of my closets.
If any of you have one that want to sell, I happily purchase it. I have not seen in eBay, lastly, one in the shells.

Fern
Argh you are making me feel guilty Fern. I only have one Champion, if I had a second I would let you have it :wink:

Best regards
Nick
Eric Wainwright

Post by Eric Wainwright »

Dear Fern,

I have a Champion Challenger in the original box, all of the pieces, and in pristine condition. It was my first chess computer purchased back in the 80's and it holds a special place in my small, but satisfying collection. I must have played it for thousands of hours too. I have great sympathy for you in losing your Champion, but, alas...

It's Not For Sale Regards,

-Eric
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

Eric Wainwright wrote:Dear Fern,

I have a Champion Challenger in the original box, all of the pieces, and in pristine condition. It was my first chess computer purchased back in the 80's and it holds a special place in my small, but satisfying collection. I must have played it for thousands of hours too. I have great sympathy for you in losing your Champion, but, alas...

It's Not For Sale Regards,

-Eric
Well, Eric, that last sarcastic comment from you got for you a visit by...

My heavily armed Serbian bodyguards regards...
Fern
Festina Lente
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

spacious_mind wrote:
Fernando wrote:

Best regards,
Your generosity with respect to a non existent item made me shed lot of tears..

My body guards are on the eay regards
Fern

Fern
Argh you are making me feel guilty Fern. I only have one Champion, if I had a second I would let you have it :wink:

Best regards
Festina Lente
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Fernando wrote:
it has the first place in my heart for many reasons
I look with horrible sadness the corpse of the champion I have and that fell dead last year and is now entombed in one of my closets.
Fern
Its always sad to see a once proud man resort to begging and pleading
it must have been hard to write that post
you can feel the pain ..the longing...the broken heart
vision obscured as tears swelled up in the eyes .sliding down the cheek and onto the keyboard
and yet ..overcoming his sobbing and cries of anguish ..he typed out that message ..bravely pushing forward ,compelled by
an inexplicable desire

I think its high time we all took some action to help out a fellow collector and Forum member
lets restore some pride and dignity to our fallen comrade
lets lift Fern up from that bended knee ..pick him up..and dust him off
Perhaps everyone in the forum could pool together and "Crowd Fund" a nice Sensory Chess Champion for Fern?

Anyone willing to make whatever donation they can should send me the money via Paypal
when the fund hits $5000 I will send Fern my Champion and even include all shipping costs

It Can Be Brutal In Here Regards
Steve
Carl Bicknell

Post by Carl Bicknell »

yikes.

How much would you charge for the Tasc R40 Steve ?!?!?
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Carl Bicknell wrote:yikes.

How much would you charge for the Tasc R40 Steve ?!?!?
Hi Carl

Its....

https://www.flickr.com/photos/10261668@ ... 0922173034

Priceless Regards
Steve
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

Steve B wrote:
Fernando wrote:
it has the first place in my heart for many reasons
I look with horrible sadness the corpse of the champion I have and that fell dead last year and is now entombed in one of my closets.
Fern
Its always sad to see a once proud man resort to begging and pleading
it must have been hard to write that post
you can feel the pain ..the longing...the broken heart
vision obscured as tears swelled up in the eyes .sliding down the cheek and onto the keyboard
and yet ..overcoming his sobbing and cries of anguish ..he typed out that message ..bravely pushing forward ,compelled by
an inexplicable desire

I think its high time we all took some action to help out a fellow collector and Forum member
lets restore some pride and dignity to our fallen comrade
lets lift Fern up from that bended knee ..pick him up..and dust him off
Perhaps everyone in the forum could pool together and "Crowd Fund" a nice Sensory Chess Champion for Fern?

Anyone willing to make whatever donation they can should send me the money via Paypal
when the fund hits $5000 I will send Fern my Champion and even include all shipping costs

It Can Be Brutal In Here Regards
Steve

As usual, you mock of fallen, impoverished and ruined people and add insult to injury.
No, I will never accept any help coming from nobody here or elsewhere. I am decided only to purchase a Champion, once one appears.
You clearly does not understand the dimension of my pride and honor ability.

So...

Begin the campaign to help poor fern regards
Fern
Festina Lente
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Fernando wrote: So...
Begin the campaign to help poor fern regards
Fern

It is strange that no Champions have appeared on Ebay for quite some time
I have my eyes open for it and if it appears I will be all over it for you