Gideon

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
ricard60

Gideon

Post by ricard60 »

About 2 years ago Ed Shröder released for sale the engine Gideon 3.1. I believe this engine were for tasc machines only. Some time later i got from Ed site the engine Mephisto Gideon Professional as an UCI engine. I load it into a Mysticum machine and it works great it is very strong also. This engine is from 1993. I have 2 questions:

1) Is this engine related to Gideon 3.1?

2) Why it is called Mephisto? Did this engine worked on a Mephisto machine? or the name is just a coincidence?

:? Confused regards
Ricardo
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Re: Gideon

Post by Fernando »

ricard60 wrote:About 2 years ago Ed Shröder released for sale the engine Gideon 3.1. I believe this engine were for tasc machines only. Some time later i got from Ed site the engine Mephisto Gideon Professional as an UCI engine. I load it into a Mysticum machine and it works great it is very strong also. This engine is from 1993. I have 2 questions:

1) Is this engine related to Gideon 3.1?

2) Why it is called Mephisto? Did this engine worked on a Mephisto machine? or the name is just a coincidence?

:? Confused regards
Ricardo
I believe the reason is that the software was marketed not only by Ed, but also by the Mephisto company. As you know, it is almost impossible to find a chess software that has NOT been or is present in many incarnations, be it in dedicated units or as sole engines.

Clones and Avatars was the order of the day regards
Fern
Festina Lente
Yaoshiru

Post by Yaoshiru »

Can to implement it?
Sargon1972

Post by Sargon1972 »

Hello Guys,

Well in 1990 Ed did leave Mephisto because he did not get the hardware he wanted from H&G
Then he wrote his program on the much faster chess machine card(Tasc)
And did become a year later in 1991 World champion (version 3.0)
Then Mephisto H&G wanted this program for their boards so in 1992 the Mephisto RISC 1MB Modules where released
In 1992/93 the PC was in , much faster speed (MHz) and the programmers did write them on a floppy , this was also a bit the end of the normal chess computers
Of course Ed had still a contract with Mephisto (Module Risc 2 1MB) ,so then the Mephisto Gideon 3.1 (Madrid) also WC there was released on the floppy
The Gideon eproms version 3.0 where made by Ed ,but Tasc did not release these version ,because the very simply reason
As i said the Chess Computer Market was going down, and the PC programs came up. So many people had a PC so it was much cheaper to buy for +-75 Euro in the beginning a strong PC program while lets say a Tasc R30 would cost +-1625 Euro
It is all about the money
And if i did not spoke with Ed in Leiden and made a arrangement ,maybe the world would never now about this version available for the Tasc R30/40
And more Chess computer he had in his home :p
I was glad to have the MMV Portorose WC Machine who had played at the WC in Portorose with special features who no commercial released MMV have
It is a one of a kind machine ,so unique in mine opinion

Kr,Hans
Hello
I am from Netherlands and many years involved with computerchess
It,s a way of life i suppose :p

Kr,Hans
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Sargon1972 wrote:
The Gideon eproms version 3.0 where made by Ed ,but Tasc did not release these version ,because the very simply reason
As i said the Chess Computer Market was going down, and the PC programs came up. So many people had a PC so it was much cheaper to buy for +-75 Euro in the beginning a strong PC program while lets say a Tasc R30 would cost +-1625 Euro
It is all about the money
Hi Hans

In 1994 Tasc lost a patent infringement law suit over their Smart board piece recognition technology
they went out of business soon after because of this
not sure if this also had an impact on the decision to never include Schroeder's Gideon program in the R30
Regards
Steve
Sargon1972

Post by Sargon1972 »

Hello Steve,

I know i have asked Ed this, why they did not be placed ore sold his program in the R30 unit
He did not now that any more also .
Maybe it is possible i do not know sure for 100% But the version of the eproms is 3.0 so must be 1992+-

Kr,Hans
Hello
I am from Netherlands and many years involved with computerchess
It,s a way of life i suppose :p

Kr,Hans
ricard60

Post by ricard60 »

Sargon1972 wrote:
And did become a year later in 1991 World champion (version 3.0)
Then Mephisto H&G wanted this program for their boards so in 1992 the Mephisto RISC 1MB Modules where released.In 1992/93 the PC was in , much faster speed (MHz) and the programmers did write them on a floppy...Of course Ed had still a contract with Mephisto (Module Risc 2 1MB) ,so then the Mephisto Gideon 3.1 (Madrid) also WC there was released on the floppy
So Gideon is inside Mephisto RISC 1MB and Mephisto RISC2 1MB.Is it possible that inside RISC 1MB is Gideon 3.0 and in RISC 2 1MB is Gideon 3.1?. In Ed's site says that Mephisto Gideon professional is from 1993. So maybe this was his last version of Gideon? or Maybe is Gideon 3.1 As an UCI engine.

Gideon History regards
Ricardo
ricard60

Post by ricard60 »

Well at least i found part of the answer. Gideon 3.1 is the engine of Mephisto Risc 2: http://www.schach-computer.info/wiki/in ... sto_Risc_2 this confirm what Sargon1972 wrote.

Of course some Tasc owners also have Gideon 3.1. Gideon 3.1 will be stronger over Tasc hardware.

Maybe Gideon is the only engine from Tasc that also was on another dedicated chess machine maker.

History goes on regards
Ricardo