First Victory Over Septennial Champion

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

First Victory Over Septennial Champion

Post by Fernando »

It was played giving 2 minutes in average to each champion move. My success was not due to any particular skill from me, but Champion fell prey to the known horizon effect in a situation where the move sequence has a pin in the middle. He lost a full piece and after that it tried some tricks and defended well, but for the human side it was only a task of being alert to the nasty tricks, eliminate pieces and then deliver the bill.
Not one of those victories that leave you moved, but just an exercise of not doing stupid things.

HAHAHAHAHAHA I DEFEATED HIM Glory to the Lord Hosanna I am a genius
etc regards
Fern
Festina Lente
Larry

Re: First Victory Over Septennial Champion

Post by Larry »

Fernando wrote:It was played giving 2 minutes in average to each champion move. My success was not due to any particular skill from me, but Champion fell prey to the known horizon effect in a situation where the move sequence has a pin in the middle. He lost a full piece and after that it tried some tricks and defended well, but for the human side it was only a task of being alert to the nasty tricks, eliminate pieces and then deliver the bill.
Not one of those victories that leave you moved, but just an exercise of not doing stupid things.

etc regards
Fern
Be advised that the famous Septennial has a coding function included
where it's playing strength rises by 100 elo after each defeat. You are
headed for some crushing losses.
L
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

Larry wrote:
Fernando wrote:It was played giving 2 minutes in average to each champion move. My success was not due to any particular skill from me, but Champion fell prey to the known horizon effect in a situation where the move sequence has a pin in the middle. He lost a full piece and after that it tried some tricks and defended well, but for the human side it was only a task of being alert to the nasty tricks, eliminate pieces and then deliver the bill.

etc regards
Fern
Be advised that the famous Septennial has a coding function included
where it's playing strength rises by 100 elo after each defeat. You are
headed for some crushing losses.
L
Today I will give him more time to think, say, 3 minutes per move. Maybe so he will be capable of beating me, specially these Saturdays when I play as at the same time I read and/or write.
Currently reading a biography about incredible Count Kessler and re-reading Gibbons decline and fall.
So septennial has a good chance to beat me....

Next news bulletin this afternoon...

Fern
Festina Lente
ricard60

Post by ricard60 »

Hi Fern,

I also have a Champion but i do not know if it is a septennial. Is it possible that you can post the moves so i can try to replay the game and see if my champion makes the same moves?

Unknown Champion regards
Ricardo
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

ricard60 wrote:Hi Fern,

I also have a Champion but i do not know if it is a septennial. Is it possible that you can post the moves so i can try to replay the game and see if my champion makes the same moves?

Unknown Champion regards
Ricardo
You can know at once what is it by the way it is operated.
By example, levels in champion are settled with the LV button at your right and they appear in the screen: in septennial the levels are settled pushing squares on the board. In fact many functions of Sept. are settled on the board surface.
If it is not the case with your contrivance, then is classic, normal champion.

Fern
Festina Lente
ricard60

Post by ricard60 »

Thanks Fern,

It is a classic normal champion.
Cyberchess

Post by Cyberchess »

etc regards
Fern
:) Bravo Lord Hosanna!

Steve is currently seeking out a like-new Novag Star Diamond to keep you on your toes.

Preferential Trade Agreement Regards,
John
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

Another victory over the septennial.
Middle game just average skill to kill his queen against two minor pieces. Then a long fight to impose the advantage over a stubborn foe.
I have detected with some amazement that this champion is prone to be caught with tactics that it does not see. Rare occurrence with a computer...
Something on his code make him to be blind to tactics at around 3 or 4 ply in any sequence... Maybe in that point of the tree it does too much pruning. Who knows....

Sherlock Holmes regards
fern
Festina Lente
dedicate computers

4 MHz

Post by dedicate computers »

[/quote]
Fernando, I think you computers speed is 4 MHz, so you is a good player!