Final, definitive Post about Nelson....

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Final, definitive Post about Nelson....

Post by Fernando »

No joke.
This is how I see this enigma. I believe my vision will make happy all parts here. It is nuanced and realistic.

A) Nelson programmed everything Fidelity, engine and hardware, until Spracklen arrival.
B) After that Nelson dedicated his time to just the hardware part.
(I think we all agree to this point....)

C) After Fidelity demise and Excalibur birth, Nelson went to work with Samole son AND PROGRAMMED some of the first stuff of the new company making use of his old codes AND the improvements that were already public and could be used freely AND with the lot faster electronics available, which all in all explain why those Excalibur machines were stronger than previous Nelson things in fidelity.

D) At the same time Excalibur DID get some other stuff, which cloned and obviously was programmed by other people, as Karpov 2294, etc.

E) In the last age of Excalibur Nelson again programmed some computers making use, this time, of the previous bath of already improved codes and perhaps adding some extra amelioration here and there.

F) In this last age Nelson probably -PROBABLY- made use, also, of some old Spracklen stuff and pieces of code of some other programmers with whom Excalibur was related and so and so.

We have, then, a COMPLICATE history in which Nelson is always present to the point to be justly described as programmer, but not anymore the programmer he was in 1980, but one that learned, used alien stuff, added things and had available a lot better electronics.

there it is, gentlemen, the full and probably more real history.

Fern, searcher of the unknown
Festina Lente
klute

Post by klute »

Not quite Fernando...

I tend to be succinct.

I know my stuff well.

Tonight's revelation:

The Excalibur Grandmaster program incorporates Spracklen Attack Tables.

How do I know this?

I simply just do...

Mysterious Regards
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

klute wrote: Tonight's revelation:

Its about time you got here Cameron
your brother has been busy calling Nelson Forgetful and Senile Even

Senior Moments Regards
Steve
klute

Post by klute »

Hi Steve

Well, whatever people might say about Ron Nelson, we all are indebted to the man for giving us those immortal words that will live forever in our minds and hearts:

I am Fidelity's Chess Challenger, your computer opponent. Select your level.

Voice Sensory Regards
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

klute wrote:Hi Steve

Well, whatever people might say about Ron Nelson, we all are indebted to the man for giving us those immortal words that will live forever in our minds and hearts:

I am Fidelity's Chess Challenger, your computer opponent. Select your level.

Voice Sensory Regards
Legend has it that it was Nelsons actual voice that was used
Metallic Regards
Steve
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

klute wrote:Not quite Fernando...

I tend to be succinct.

I know my stuff well.

Tonight's revelation:

How do I know this?

I simply just do...

Mysterious Regards
Well, you proved what I say respect Spracklen stuff on later materiel...
Festina Lente
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

I tend to be succinct.

I know my stuff well.

Tonight's revelation:

How do I know this?

I simply just do...

Mysterious Regards
Hi Cameron,

I am just curious, are you indicating that Grandmaster will post a lot of different moves because of Spracklen's Attack Tables to Igor and Mirage? I have played tests with Igor at level 22 and Mirage at level 23 (to account for the 2 MHz speed difference) and Mirage and Igor post 100% identical moves.

I have a Grandmaster and Grandmaster Platinum and not tried any tests yet (their bulk takes up too much table space and therefore are a pain :) ). If Grandmaster were the same then the same would apply to Mirage and Igor as well and quite likely to Ivan as well? Correct?

Best regards
Nick
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

spacious_mind wrote:

I tend to be succinct.

I know my stuff well.

Tonight's revelation:

How do I know this?

I simply just do...

Mysterious Regards
Hi Cameron,

I am just curious, are you indicating that Grandmaster will post a lot of different moves because of Spracklen's Attack Tables to Igor and Mirage? I have played tests with Igor at level 22 and Mirage at level 23 (to account for the 2 MHz speed difference) and Mirage and Igor post 100% identical moves.

I have a Grandmaster and Grandmaster Platinum and not tried any tests yet (their bulk takes up too much table space and therefore are a pain :) ). If Grandmaster were the same then the same would apply to Mirage and Igor as well and quite likely to Ivan as well? Correct?

Best regards
AS I said in a now old post about Spracklen influence in Nelson, beginning these threads about Nelson, I detected some Spracken stuff in Nelson Excalibur work. In my mind it is not difficult to understand why Nelson produced better programs in the last years of his profession; he simply had a lot of things to examine and incorporate...

Fern
Last edited by Fernando on Wed May 27, 2015 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Festina Lente
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Fernando wrote:
spacious_mind wrote:

I tend to be succinct.

I know my stuff well.

Tonight's revelation:

How do I know this?

I simply just do...

Mysterious Regards
Hi Cameron,

Best regards
AS I said in a now old post about Spracklen influence in Nelson stuff, beginning these threads about Nelson, I detected some Spracken stuff in Nelson Excalibur stuff. In my mind it is not difficult to understand why Nelson produce better programs in the last years of his profession; he simply had a lot of stuff to examine and incorporate...

Fern
I have Spracklen's coming out of my ear so it would be quite easy to test the theory. Which computer would you suggest?

ps. you are still ignoring that Mirage was not created by Excalibur so someone would have had to give Spracklen to Krypton. If that's the case which one shall I test first?

Regards
Nick
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

spacious_mind wrote:
Fernando wrote:
spacious_mind wrote:

I tend to be succinct.

I know my stuff well.

Tonight's revelation:

How do I know this?

I simply just do...

Mysterious Regards
Hi Cameron,

Best regards
AS I said in a now old post about Spracklen influence in Nelson stuff, beginning these threads about Nelson, I detected some Spracken stuff in Nelson Excalibur stuff. In my mind it is not difficult to understand why Nelson produce better programs in the last years of his profession; he simply had a lot of stuff to examine and incorporate...

Fern
I have Spracklen's coming out of my ear so it would be quite easy to test the theory. Which computer would you suggest?

ps. you are still ignoring that Mirage was not created by Excalibur so someone would have had to give Spracklen to Krypton. If that's the case which one shall I test first?

Regards
Alexandra, I think.
Ivan the Conqueror too.
Festina Lente
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Fernando wrote:
spacious_mind wrote:
Fernando wrote:
spacious_mind wrote:

I tend to be succinct.

I know my stuff well.

Tonight's revelation:

How do I know this?

I simply just do...

Mysterious Regards
Hi Cameron,

Best regards

Fern

Regards
Alexandra, I think.
Ivan the Conqueror too.
LOL
Nick
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

spacious_mind wrote:
Fernando wrote:
spacious_mind wrote:
Fernando wrote:
spacious_mind wrote:

I tend to be succinct.

I know my stuff well.

Tonight's revelation:

How do I know this?

I simply just do...

Mysterious Regards
Hi Cameron,

Best regards

Fern

Regards
Alexandra, I think.
Ivan the Conqueror too.
LOL
LOL?
Why?
Which is the funny part of that?
Festina Lente
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Fernando wrote:
LOL?
Why?
Because it would have to be a Fidelity chess computer to test against Excalibur computers. Even for us to compare Alexandra with Spraklen you will have to test Fidelity computers to explore the theory that Nelson took Spraklen with him to Excalibur.

Alexandra came out in 2003. It is more of a recent computer.

Best regards
Nick
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

spacious_mind wrote:
Fernando wrote:
LOL?
Why?
Because it would have to be a Fidelity chess computer to test against Excalibur computers. Even for us to compare Alexandra with Spraklen you will have to test Fidelity computers to explore the theory that Nelson took Spraklen with him to Excalibur.

Best regards

Looks like we have confusion. What I try to mean is that I have felt some Spracklen spirit in those two machines I mentioned. That's the reason I said long ago that in my opinion Nelson could have taken something from there. More exactly, I was thinking in Champion line, which includes Champion proper, Fidelity 9 and Super 9, Septennial...
Festina Lente
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Fernando wrote:
spacious_mind wrote:
Fernando wrote:
LOL?
Why?

Best regards

Looks like we have confusion. What I try to mean is that I have felt some Spracklen spirit in those two machines I mentioned. That's the reason I said long ago that in my opinion Nelson could have taken something from there. More exactly, I was thinking in Champion line, which includes Champion proper, Fidelity 9 and Super 9, Septennial...
OK I will include them in the tests and lets see what comes out of it.
Nick