Mephisto Chess Challenger secret options menu?

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
SirDave

Post by SirDave »

I wouldn't be surprised if what diabloNL found is present in other boards.

Years ago I programmed and sold a medical accounts-receivables/billing software package. It had some discretionary enhancements and single vs. multiple practice options that, of course, cost somewhat more.

The fact was that all of those options were programmed into every single package. It was not practical to have separate programs because when bugs were found, it would have meant fixing each version of the source code and then recompiling all of them. So, when an option or different version was requested, I simply changed one hidden variable and, voila...

The extra cost was justified not only by the enhancements, but also the increased support required, the more complex the operating software was.

So, I wouldn't be surprised if that isn't what occurred with the Chess Challenger: Just plug in the same firmware to various Saitek boards, but disable one variable and, all of a sudden, those options are no longer available and squares A2 to H2 no longer respond.

BTW: Hey Larry, I'm going to find the right combination of keys to unlock the hash-tables that I'm sure are in the Chess Challenger and then, along with diabloNL's discovery, I'll have Atlanta's little brother for only $25! :)

Mining For Gold In My Cheap Boards Regards,
Dave
diabloNL

Post by diabloNL »

Steve B wrote:
not me
the last thing i want to see is the guts of a chess computer
its kinda like seeing the bone scan of a beautiful PlayBoy Bunnie

Steve
That comment has made my day! Thanks for that! :lol:

Personally I get all excited to see the guts of any electronic device. I like to see how it ticks and fix/improve where I can.
SirDave wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if what diabloNL found is present in other boards.
The chance is indeed there. From my experience I can confirm that it works like you explained. I have programmed modules for light dimming installations and for all models I made exactly the same program. To choose the model in production a simple wire bridge on certain terminals when booting up will set the model. It's amazing to see what that company was charging extra for functionality that already was inside.
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

diabloNL wrote:

Personally I get all excited to see the guts of any electronic device. I like to see how it ticks and fix/improve where I can.
Now see this is where we are on very dangerous ground
awakening options that lie dormant is one thing ..but "improving" a chess computer sounds like .."modifying".. it to me.. and that my friend is not a good thing for collecting purposes
i am afraid we are headed down a very...

Slippery Slope Regards
Steve
P.S. the second quote in your post was from SirDave not me
diabloNL

Post by diabloNL »

Steve B wrote:
diabloNL wrote:

Now see this is where we are on very dangerous ground
awakening options that lie dormant is one thing ..but "improving" a chess computer sounds like .."modifying".. it to me.. and that my friend is not a good thing for collecting purposes
i am afraid we are headed down a very...

Slippery Slope Regards
Steve
P.S. the second quote in your post was from SirDave not me
Ha ha ha, I haven't found anything yet to improve and to be honest I don't see what I can improve in a chess computer. Maybe changing out the LED color but that would probably be it. I do understand what you are saying about the collecting purpose but I'm not in it for the collecting part. I'm not so much in collecting stuff because I would end up putting all my money in it (I lack the ability to control myself ;-) ). I just want to own a few nice chess computers because I really enjoy them and I consider them legacy items which brings back memories of my childhood.

Sorry about the quote, that's what you get when you start copying and pasting stuff. Unfortunately I can't edit the post anymore.
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

diabloNL wrote:
. I just want to own a few nice chess computers because I really enjoy them and I consider them legacy items which brings back memories of my childhood.
Well Said!
diabloNL wrote:
Sorry about the quote, that's what you get when you start copying and pasting stuff. Unfortunately I can't edit the post anymore.
i corrected it

Editing Regards
Steve
BillT

Post by BillT »

A small but interesting further observation on this.
If you enter the extended options menu mode....you lose the "studies" function.
Could this be the answer to why all the options arent fully available by default?? ie ROM space shortage.
I guess that when Saitek released the Challenger (2004) they were too tight to increase the ROM so that full options AND "studies" could be available.

I note that the Mephisto VI module of 1997 (of which I believe Challenger is a clone) has the same ROM as Challenger ie 32kb. The VI module doesn't offer the "studies" facility,but has the full range of options permanently. The Challenger has both but is switchable .....full options or studies.
I assume ( I'm not a programmer) that it is possible to program a ROM path determined by button presses at startup......why on earth didn't they put this info in the manual of the Challenger...?

Should have had more ROM regards

Bill
diabloNL

Post by diabloNL »

Is there anyone with a Mephisto Explorer Pro who can try if this also works on that one? I'm asking because I considering buying a Pewatronic board and they have a Master Chess and Explorer Pro option and I would like to be able to turn off the ponder function. I know the Master Chess has it but would like to know if Explorer Pro has a secret menu as well.
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

diabloNL wrote:Is there anyone with a Mephisto Explorer Pro who can try if this also works on that one?
Hi diabloNL

i can confirm that the Explorer Pro DOES in fact have the same exact secret options that you found in the Chess Challenger
these options are also not documented in the manual
same key-in procedure as well..GO/STOP+OPTIONS on start up
i checked the Book OFF option and it does shut down all opening books when engaged leaving the computer to think on its own from the first move

This Is Becoming A Monumental Discovery Regards
Steve
diabloNL

Post by diabloNL »

Steve B wrote:
diabloNL wrote:Is there anyone with a Mephisto Explorer Pro who can try if this also works on that one?
Hi diabloNL

i can confirm that the Explorer Pro DOES in fact have the same exact secret options that you found in the Chess Challenger
these options are also not documented in the manual
same key-in procedure as well..GO/STOP+OPTIONS on start up
i checked the Book OFF option and it does shut down all opening books when engaged leaving the computer to think on its own from the first move

This Is Becoming A Monumental Discovery Regards
Steve
Thanks Steve that't great news! I'm using the Chess Challenger on Easy with the pondering off and it's a lot better for beginners like me.

Thanks again for taking the time to try it out! I'm seriously thinking to get myself a Pewatronic Explorer Pro. Just not sure about choosing the 4cm(1.6") vs the 5cm(2") playing field.
SirDave

Post by SirDave »

These exact options (accessed by the LCD-based method or by pressing A2-H2) are provided and documented in the manuals of the Saitek and/or Mephisto Advanced Travel Chess, Expert Travel Chess, Travel Champion 2080, Barracuda and Executive.

The discovery by diabloNL of these options in the Chess Challenger makes the Challenger virtually identical to the Mephisto Expert Travel except for a minor Elo difference that may not be significant and the presence of a Studies option in the Challenger. The manuals are identical except that, of course, the options are left out of the Challenger manual.

Of course, this is not some accident, but is likely a case of much the same firmware being placed in these units and a decision being made to 'cripple' the options available so that the price point can be reduced without affecting the next unit up the chain. Thus, the Master Chess could be sold as the 'elite unit' with these options, a bump-up of ELO and an increased number of Take-Backs. The benefit of doing it this way is that any bugs could be more easily fixed on core firmware (which contains these options that can easily be switched off internally).

(BTW: what essentially is the EASY option in the Master Chess is described as a Power Saving Mode whereby there are 3 sub-options: 0=Easy Off, 1=Easy On and 2=partial Ponder where the computer will ponder 20% of the time. What a bunch of silliness! What's the point of 'partial ponder' or calling this a Power Saving Mode? Does this option really save significant battery? )

Now SteveB has found the 'secret options' in the Mephisto Explorer Pro. I wonder whether they are in the Mephisto Explorer, the predecessor of the Pro. I'll bet they are!

The funny/ironic/pathetic thing is: I sold my Explorer Pro just before last Xmas for two reasons: I didn't like the form-factor (ie. the design) and IT DIDN'T HAVE THOSE OPTIONS! :) It seems rather pathetic that Saitek chose to leave the options unavailable (or so they thought...) in a unit with the PRO moniker in the name.

Explorer Pro Sold With Hidden Treasure Onboard Regards,
Dave
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

SirDave wrote:

Now SteveB has found the 'secret options' in the Mephisto Explorer Pro. I wonder whether they are in the Mephisto Explorer, the predecessor of the Pro. I'll bet they are
Actually these are standard options in the Explorer
i did check the Explorer to see if there would be different secret options.. but no such luck
SirDave wrote:
the funny/ironic/pathetic thing is: I sold my Explorer Pro just before last Xmas for two reasons: I didn't like the form-factor (ie. the design) and IT DIDN'T HAVE THOSE OPTIONS! :)
let this be a valuable lesson to you Dave....
you have violated one of the cardinal rules of collecting...

Never Ever Sell A Chess Computer Regards
Steve
SirDave

Post by SirDave »

So Steve, they are purposely available and documented in the Explorer, and yet are not in the Explorer Pro?

Misleading Naming Regards,
Dave
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

SirDave wrote:So Steve, they are available and documented in the Explorer, but not the Explorer Pro?

Misleading Naming Regards,
Dave
Yes
i notice the Explorer does not have the "game Studies" feature that the Challenger and ExPro has so perhaps that does have something to do with the squelching of these options

Amateur Better Then Pro Regards
Steve
diabloNL

Post by diabloNL »

So, having played around with the easy option it seems something doesn't work as expected. I'm an absolute beginner in the art of chess so I welcomed the Easy option! Having set it to on, it indeed was quite easy to win even on the 5 minute setting. For comparison, before I played on the 1 sec. level and was still having a hard time.

I turned the Easy function off but I felt it was still playing very weak and made moves which allowed me to capture his Queen within a few moves. I then reset the computer by pressing the ACL button and now having it set to 1 sec. it's back to showing me all corners of the board. So to me it seems that the only way to set it to the original level is resetting the computer.
paulwise3

Post by paulwise3 »

diabloNL wrote: I turned the Easy function off but I felt it was still playing very weak and made moves which allowed me to capture his Queen within a few moves. I then reset the computer by pressing the ACL button and now having it set to 1 sec. it's back to showing me all corners of the board. So to me it seems that the only way to set it to the original level is resetting the computer.
Hi diabloNL,

This ACL reset to get back the original settings is a known "feature" for a number of Mephisto machines.

Regards, Paul.
2024 Special thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12741
2024 Special results and standings: https://schaakcomputers.nl/paul_w/Tourn ... 25_06.html
If I am mistaken, it must be caused by a horizon effect...