Amazing!

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Amazing!

Post by Harvey Williamson »

pr1uk

Post by pr1uk »

Well thank you for sharing and that was fantastic to watch and behold

Peter
King Performance Chess Computer M830
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

pr1uk wrote:Well thank you for sharing and that was fantastic to watch and behold

Peter
that is as nothing. I Can give a simul to 100 boards, blind, getting perfect score: 0
Festina Lente
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Fernando wrote:
pr1uk wrote:Well thank you for sharing and that was fantastic to watch and behold

Peter
that is as nothing. I Can give a simul to 100 boards, blind, getting perfect score: 0
Me too........................................................................
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

Harvey Williamson wrote:
Fernando wrote:

Peter
That is for all to see.
I could bet you can get a draw.

Fern
Festina Lente
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Fernando wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:
Fernando wrote:

Peter
That is for all to see.
I could bet you can get a draw.

Fern
I guess if you concentrate on 1 game only v the weakest player it is possible.
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

Fernando wrote:

Peter
OK I will play you.
Festina Lente
Monsieur Plastique

Post by Monsieur Plastique »

Fernando wrote:that is as nothing.
Yes, I agree. So what? :wink: Nearly 35 years ago you could buy a Scisys Mark V that could play 12 games simultaneously, all without any eyeballs whatsoever on the chessboards. Much cheaper to run as well.

In all seriousness though, this is obviously an amazing feat of the mind in terms of concentration, visualisation, complex calculation and memory. Simply amazing, no question. Though playing devil's advocate, his playing strength here does seem to be about 1300 points below his normal strength, which sort of puts a bit of perspective back into it. That would be the equivalent of me playing blindfold chess against someone who had just learned the legal moves.

I thought it was rather amusing when Carlson said he hadn't done it before. Of course everyone thought that was incredibly funny and laughed, just as I did. But apparently he did not see the joke. There is definitely something that has to be inherently enigmatic about someone's brain for them to play chess like this in these circumstances, let alone at a near 2900 level in the classical environment.
Chess is like painting the Mona Lisa whilst walking through a minefield.
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

Monsieur Plastique wrote:
Fernando wrote:that is as nothing.
Yes, I agree. So what? :wink: Nearly 35 years ago you could buy a Scisys Mark V that could play 12 games simultaneously, all without any eyeballs whatsoever on the chessboards. Much cheaper to run as well.

In all seriousness though, this is obviously an amazing feat of the mind in terms of concentration, visualisation, complex calculation and memory. Simply amazing, no question. Though playing devil's advocate, his playing strength here does seem to be about 1300 points below his normal strength, which sort of puts a bit of perspective back into it. That would be the equivalent of me playing blindfold chess against someone who had just learned the legal moves.

I thought it was rather amusing when Carlson said he hadn't done it before. Of course everyone thought that was incredibly funny and laughed, just as I did. But apparently he did not see the joke. There is definitely something that has to be inherently enigmatic about someone's brain for them to play chess like this in these circumstances, let alone at a near 2900 level in the classical environment.
Mind or some minds are capable of incredible feats.
just think of myself writting here as at the same time I play chess and lose, drink a beer, sign a check for my wife, attend the phone, keep a cat in one leg and all that simul...

Fern
Festina Lente