Septennial and Imbalances...

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Septennial and Imbalances...

Post by Fernando »

I just played and won a tough game to septennial playing at a slow rhythm of about 4 minutes the move, more or less. The interesting thing about this win is that I tried to apply the conception of "imbalances" that lurks along the book by Mister Silman -Amazon- from beginning to end.

Curiously I have not read the book, but just an excerpt from amazon, but I was caught by his simple idea of making plans from -what a simple thing indeed!- the objectives traits of the position instead of making calculation to every side with the hope to catch a line from that tree of more or less well done evaluations.
With septennial I tried the trick, forcing me NOT to calculate at once, but get a feeling of what was reasonable to try and only then to examine the moves according to tactical shots, threats, opportunities and so on. It was very rewarding and i hope i will consolidate this new way to play. Weird that i must be a 66 years old chap to finally get the thing right....

Fern
Festina Lente
Larry

Re: Septennial and Imbalances...

Post by Larry »

Fernando wrote:I just played and won a tough game to septennial playing at a slow rhythm of about 4 minutes the move, more or less. The interesting thing about this win is that I tried to apply the conception of "imbalances" that lurks along the book by Mister Silman -Amazon- from beginning to end.

Curiously I have not read the book, but just an excerpt from amazon, but I was caught by his simple idea of making plans from -what a simple thing indeed!- the objectives traits of the position instead of making calculation to every side with the hope to catch a line from that tree of more or less well done evaluations.
With septennial I tried the trick, forcing me NOT to calculate at once, but get a feeling of what was reasonable to try and only then to examine the moves according to tactical shots, threats, opportunities and so on. It was very rewarding and i hope i will consolidate this new way to play. Weird that i must be a 66 years old chap to finally get the thing right....

Fern
I have read Silman's book on imbalances, and also found it very
helpful. I do feel that I took up chess too late in life to ever be
good at the game, however. I've been playing too much very high
speed chess, and lost my patience for 4 minutes/move games.
I would quickly recommend to a young beginner Silman's "Reassess
Your Chess". I wish that hook was around when I was a youngster.
I'm wondering if you will, at this age, be able to change your thinking
habits while playing, or are you too set in your ways?
Perhaps play some more against Septennial using Silmans method
and let us know how they go?
L
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

I Own several of Silman book's..including "Imbalances"
they never helped my game any

well perhaps that's not so true
I did notice that after reading "Imbalances"..i was able to hold off making game losing blunder's until the late middle game and not the early middle game

0-1 Regards
Steve
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

Steve B wrote:I Own several of Silman book's..including "Imbalances"
they never helped my game any

well perhaps that's not so true
I did notice that after reading "Imbalances"..i was able to hold off making game losing blunder's until the late middle game and not the early middle game

0-1 Regards
Steve
I Do believe that you can change the setting of your mind to perform some tasks.
Not easy at any age, of course.
In this case of imbalances, the advantage of it is that it is just a matter of compelling yourself to see the board as whole before playing the moves. Other books are so full of technical details that in fact you does not learn a thing. After all we earn a life not playing chess, but doing someething else.

I have never learn a thing of openings regards
Fern
Festina Lente
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Re: Septennial and Imbalances...

Post by Fernando »

Larry wrote:
Fernando wrote:I just played and won a tough game to septennial playing at a slow rhythm of about 4 minutes the move, more or less. The interesting thing about this win is that I tried to apply the conception of "imbalances" that lurks along the book by Mister Silman -Amazon- from beginning to end.

Fern
I have read Silman's book on imbalances, and also found it very
helpful. I do feel that I took up chess too late in life to ever be
good at the game, however. I've been playing too much very high
speed chess, and lost my patience for 4 minutes/move games.
I would quickly recommend to a young beginner Silman's "Reassess
Your Chess". I wish that hook was around when I was a youngster.
I'm wondering if you will, at this age, be able to change your thinking
habits while playing, or are you too set in your ways?
Perhaps play some more against Septennial using Silmans method
and let us know how they go?
L
I Will.....

Fern
Festina Lente