Collector's Corner...Sometimes You Just Gotta Take The Shot

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Steve B
Site Admin

Collector's Corner...Sometimes You Just Gotta Take The Shot

Post by Steve B »

I'm talking about gambling on an Ebay auction

A Few Years back i won an auction for a NEVER OPENED...STILL FACTORY SEALED in shrink wrap ..Novag Savant I..
now its well known that no Savants are 100 % working today given that the LCD pieces no longer show the pieces
i took the gamble..bid and won the auction .. hoping it might ..just might...
work given it has been sealed all of these years
when the computer arrived i was quite excited when i carefully removed the packing ....
The computer was defective
brand spanking new and totally defective

recently an auction appeared for a brand new,,,never opened ..still in shrink wrap...Novag Conny Expert with an unusual factory installed 5 Mhz
(normal was 4 )
THE Gamble.. the seller did not have an adapter and could not test it
this is a well known red flag...and code for..the computer is defective

well i took the shot.against my better judgement...and bought the computer

Yesterday it arrived
again that feeling of excitement as i slowly removed the packing
i instantly noticed that there was a small hole in the shrink wrap exactly where the adaptor plug-in socket was..
my heart sank..it was obvious someone had tried to plug in an adaptor
carefully making a hole in the shrink wrap ..in an attempt to see if it was working..
my instincts right then and there told me i was done for..
as the auction said it was not tested and here was proof that it was..
as i continued to unwrap the computer i was Resigned to my fate ..yet another lost gamble..more good money flushed down the toilet

i setup the computer,,attached a Novag printer and turned the system on.....

It Works!

1-1 Regards
Steve
Last edited by Steve B on Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chesspcmac

Post by chesspcmac »

:D :D :D :D :D
Good !!! happy for you!!!
Guru Steve, out of all the plastic computers around which one is the best OVERALL for you to have. Other than the MOntreux/ Risc 2500. I Know you like the excalibur GM, but Im just looking for some guidance to buy my first plastic machine. I have a fidelity 2000 but I never use it.
Since I have your ear... do you know how to get rid of those sun damage spots in the wooden computers.

Well..Im happy for your find!!!

Children at heart regards

Mike
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Thanks Mike for the kudos
i appreciate that

as to those sun spots
sorry i know of no quick fixes for that
perhaps a furniture restoration shop can help?

as to plastic computers..here i can give offer my 2 cents..
Well as you mentioned i think the Excalibur GM is a great plastic computer so i am not sure what exactly your criteria are..
Strength of play?
cosmetic appeal?
portable or desktop?

ill name a few of my favorite plastic computers and we can discuss them further if any pique your interest

Scisys Sensor Chess
Novag Super Conny
Fidelity Excel or Designer Mach III or IV
Mephito Berlin Pro and or Atlanta

Got Plastic? Regards
Steve
Last edited by Steve B on Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Celadus

Post by Celadus »

chesspcmac wrote::D :D :D :D :D
Good !!! happy for you!!!
Guru Steve, out of all the plastic computers around which one is the best OVERALL for you to have. Other than the MOntreux/ Risc 2500. I Know you like the excalibur GM, but Im just looking for some guidance to buy my first plastic machine. I have a fidelity 2000 but I never use it.
Since I have your ear... do you know how to get rid of those sun damage spots in the wooden computers.

Well..Im happy for your find!!!

Children at heart regards

Mike

I have a fidelity 2000 but I never use it.

I have the Fid. designer 2000 & 2000 display. They are rated at 1720 elo and are very difficult to beat. They can be very tactical and overall play a good game of chess. Comments from a 1450/1500 elo player
Cubeman

Post by Cubeman »

The old "no adaptor so can't test" is a classic warning sign that 99% chance that it is defective. You got lucky. Have also seen the "I got no batteries so can't test" excuse used too.
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Cubeman wrote:The old "no adaptor so can't test" is a classic warning sign that 99% chance that it is defective. You got lucky. Have also seen the "I got no batteries so can't test" excuse used too.
Yes
as i said in my lead post.. the no adaptor ploy is a red flag..and code for the computer is defective
lucky this time and not so lucky the first time

Lucked Out Regards
Steve
Reinfeld

Post by Reinfeld »

Good story, a nail-biter. I was watching that Conny Ex auction, hoping no one would notice. I didn't know how significant it was, nor was I aware of the history of problems. The dice roll is irresistible.

- R.

P.S. - Mike didn't ask me, but my plastic of choice is Novag Obsidian.
"You have, let us say, a promising politician, a rising artist that you wish to destroy. Dagger or bomb are archaic and unreliable - but teach him, inoculate him with chess."
– H.G. Wells
paulwise3

Post by paulwise3 »

Reinfeld wrote:Good story, a nail-biter.
P.S. - Mike didn't ask me, but my plastic of choice is Novag Obsidian.
Great nail-biter story indeed! I also had my ups, and luckily only a few downs.
As I have been asked neither, I can suggest the CXG Sphinx Legend or Concerto. Around 1800 elo, and nice to experiment with the 7 programmable features :-). And it might be a good sparring partner for your Fidelity 2000. But of course it also depends on your own playing style and strength. The Super Constellation seems to be almost everyone's favorite.
But I have to say, the Excalibur Grandmaster really is a joy to look at...
(also around 1800 elo).

Edit: I just got my hands on the CXG Super Enterprise (1600-1700 elo). There is a great post about its performances on the wiki-elo-liste. For the time being that will be my favorite. Also the size is attractive: 42 x 31 x 3 cm; playing field = 29,5 x 29,5 cm.

Best regards,
Paul.
2024 Special thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12741
2024 Special results and standings: https://schaakcomputers.nl/paul_w/Tourn ... 25_06.html
If I am mistaken, it must be caused by a horizon effect...