Code Flaw.... Fidelity Excel 6800

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Code Flaw.... Fidelity Excel 6800

Post by Fernando »

I closed the curtain when the computer was -4.27 points and still trying to confuse me with pathetic tricks which entertained me at first, then bored me.
It was played at tournament level, so the bloody thing took sometimes almost 10 minutes to answer.
No matter because I was doing other things in the time being. Take your time, take your time, pal...
The sad part -somewhat disappointing- is that all his troubles came of an awfully bad played Ruy López, putting his Queen under a malevolent pin that could not refute, so it lost a full knight and the rest was a matter of rejecting his counter attacks and keep the pressure.
As in the septennial, it looks like there is something in Spracklen code that make his programs prone to fall in exactly the same carelessness attitude with pins.

Pin slayer regards
Fern
Festina Lente
Celadus

Re: Code Flaw.... Fidelity Excel 6800

Post by Celadus »

Fernando wrote:I closed the curtain when the computer was -4.27 points and still trying to confuse me with pathetic tricks which entertained me at first, then bored me.
It was played at tournament level, so the bloody thing took sometimes almost 10 minutes to answer.
No matter because I was doing other things in the time being. Take your time, take your time, pal...
The sad part -somewhat disappointing- is that all his troubles came of an awfully bad played Ruy López, putting his Queen under a malevolent pin that could not refute, so it lost a full knight and the rest was a matter of rejecting his counter attacks and keep the pressure.
As in the septennial, it looks like there is something in Spracklen code that make his programs prone to fall in exactly the same carelessness attitude with pins.

Pin slayer regards
Fern
Have you tried playing a game against the Fidelity Mach3/Designer 2265 Master? You may be surprised!
You
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

Celadus wrote:
Fernando wrote:I closed the curtain when the computer was -4.27 points and still trying to confuse me with pathetic tricks which entertained me at first, then bored me.

Pin slayer regards
Fern
Have you tried playing a game against the Fidelity Mach3/Designer 2265 Master? You may be surprised!
You

Well, not, because that's the one I played...
Festina Lente
Celadus

Post by Celadus »

Fernando wrote:
Celadus wrote:

Pin slayer regards
Fern
You

Hats off to you. You are a very strong player.
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Celadus wrote:
Fernando wrote:
Celadus wrote:

Pin slayer regards
Fern
You

Fern is a strong player but i have played with both of these computers for decades and i still see no evidence of any "pin "bug code flaws in any of the computers he mentions
the so called pin bug he reported in the Septennial was shown to be incorrect given the game example he provided
probably also incorrect in the Excel Mach I

without game moves and fen diagrams i remain...

Totally Skeptical Regards
Steve
Last edited by Steve B on Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cyberchess

Post by Cyberchess »

Ole!

:wink: pin 'em and win 'em regards,
John
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

Steve B wrote:
Celadus wrote:
Fernando wrote:
Celadus wrote:

Pin slayer regards
Fern
You

Fern is a strong player but i have played with both of these computers for decades and i still see no evidence of any "pin "bug code flaws in any of the computers he mentions
the so called pin bug he reported in the Septennial was shown to be incorrect given the game example he provided
probably also incorrect in the Excel Mach I

without game moves and fen diagrams i remain...

Totally Skeptical Regards
Steve
It is truth that I did not send the correct order of moves in the Septennial case, but that does not means I am so fool I am not capable to see a failure of a program and a pattern of failures when it happens.
Of course it can happens too that you have not seen those pins opportunities during your games with Fidelity stuff because not every pin if an evident case of it, as the X ray factor intervenes many times.
Problem is I have not enough vanity to write my games down and then publish them in CNN. I just talk of my games very ocassionally, more the lost than the won, and in a general way more for fun than for anything else.

Humble regards
Fern
Festina Lente
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Fernando wrote:
It is truth that I did not send the correct order of moves in the Septennial case, but that does not means I am so fool I am not capable to see a failure of a program and a pattern of failures when it happens.
Of course it can happens too that you have not seen those pins opportunities during your games with Fidelity stuff because not every pin if an evident case of it, as the X ray factor intervenes many times.
Problem is I have not enough vanity to write my games down and then publish them in CNN. I just talk of my games very ocassionally, more the lost than the won, and in a general way more for fun than for anything else.

Humble regards
Fern
i just think you are too modest and instead of saying you are stronger then these computers you try to find fault in their code for beating them

Dont Pin It On The Code Regards
Steve
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

Steve B wrote:
Fernando wrote:

Humble regards
Fern
i just think you are too modest and instead of saying you are stronger then these computers you try to find fault in their code for beating them

No Pin Regards
Steve

No my dear friend, I am not stronger or even If I was, you are strong as far as you take profit of the adversary weaknesses.
Last night I just draw a game againts Chesster Challenger, which is a Par Excelence in other package, so you see I am not that good.

Fern
Festina Lente
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Fernando wrote:

No my dear friend, I am not stronger or even If I was, you are strong as far as you take profit of the adversary weaknesses.
Last night I just draw a game againts Chesster Challenger, which is a Par Excelence in other package, so you see I am not that good.

Fern
i still think you are too modest
now i am the complete opposite
when i beat one of my computers i think i am a chess god

my latest powerful victim..

Move Over Botvinnik Regards
Steve
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

Steve B wrote:
Fernando wrote:

Fern

Steve
Am I looking at a MMIV or V Mephisto?

Fern On his Toes regards
Festina Lente
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Fernando wrote:
Steve B wrote:
Fernando wrote:

Fern

Steve

Fern On his Toes regards
The Super Strong

Mephisto Junior Regards
Steve
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

Steve B wrote:
Fernando wrote:
Steve B wrote:
Fernando wrote:

Fern

Steve

Fern On his Toes regards
The Super Strong

Mephisto Junior Regards
Steve
I do not know a thing about it......, but....

Congrat for the victory regards
Fern
Festina Lente
Cyberchess

Post by Cyberchess »

Steve B wrote:
Fernando wrote:

Fern

Steve
Congratulations Steve!

While I have likewise have never heard of the Mephisto Junior, it does bear a striking resemblance to my old Novag Super VIP unit (circa 1989). Does it also come with a clamshell case and nifty magnetic chess set?
This little device was a real godsend for me back when I had this boring part-time job. Came the end of my shift, I would just power off the unit, fold away the magnetic set that held the position, and continue the game when I got home.

Calculator Schachcomputer Regards,
John
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Cyberchess wrote:
Does it also come with a clamshell case and nifty magnetic chess set?
This little device was a real godsend for me back when I had this boring part-time job. Came the end of my shift, I would just power off the unit, fold away the magnetic set that held the position, and continue the game when I got home.

Calculator Schachcomputer Regards,
John
Nope what you see in the photo is what you got...aside from an instruction manual

liked the music in the Url
reminded me of Devo

Crack That Wip Regards
Steve