Fidelity Reversi Challenger

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Larry

Fidelity Reversi Challenger

Post by Larry »

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Fidelity-Rev ... 4d350e53e2

I have'nt seen one of these in decades. Australia's only chess retailer
used to stock them. I don't even know the rules of Reversi. If it was
in Australia I'd consider buying it, if only out of curiosity. It's built into
the same case as the CC8 chess challenger.
thought it worthy of mention...
Larry
klute

Re: Fidelity Reversi Challenger

Post by klute »

Larry wrote:Australia's only chess retailer
used to stock them.
I remember these from Chess Discount Sales years ago as well. Although it might look like the Reversi equivalent of a Sensory 8, it has a Spracklen 6502 program and plays a very strong game, sufficient to crush most mere mortals.

I was considering this example as well, but decided to pass on it as the box isn't perfect. There was a perfect one on eBay just a week or so before this one turned up, but I discovered it only after it had been sold!

I don't usually "diversify" although I do have a perfect new old stock Fidelity Voice Bridge Challenger in shipping carton, even though I don't play Bridge!
The Klute offers you the white pieces and the advantage of the first move.
Cyberchess

Post by Cyberchess »

Thanks for posting!

Although I wasn’t even aware that Fidelity produced these Reversi and Bridge Challenger units, I do recall the Fidelity Checker Challenger units from the day.

Does anyone remember the Dr. Tinsley vs. Chinook championship match of 1994?

Diversity in Gaming Regards,
John
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

Cyberchess wrote:Thanks for posting!

Although I wasn’t even aware that Fidelity produced these Reversi and Bridge Challenger units, I do recall the Fidelity Checker Challenger units from the day.

Does anyone remember the Dr. Tinsley vs. Chinook championship match of 1994?

Diversity in Gaming Regards,
John
I still have the checker thing. It works. It gives a decently strong game. But I believe the strongest checker was made yaers ago by our known programmer Martyn Bryant, Chess Colossus author.

Cheking regards
Fern
Festina Lente
ricard60

Post by ricard60 »

Chekers was solved some years ago. So it plays the perfect game of chekers. Do not know who is the author of this software.

but still playing chekers regards
Ricardo
klute

Post by klute »

Cyberchess wrote:Although I wasn’t even aware that Fidelity produced these Reversi and Bridge Challenger units
I have to say that even though my mint-in-factory-shipping-carton Voice Sensory Chess Challenger is one of my most prized possessions - my Voice Bridge Challenger is one of the most impressive electronic gaming machines I've ever encountered.

It's sort of like a Voice Chess Challenger mated with an Applied Concepts / Chafitz GGM / MGS - it's festooned with more buttons than I've ever seen on anything else, has whopping great flashing red LEDs like a police car's, a fluorescent blue scrolling display, an optical card reader and that classic emotionless and metallic Fidelity voice:

"I am Fidelity's Bridge Challenger, your computer opponent or partner!"

Occasionally I'll fire it up to run through the self-test program just to make sure the thing's working properly, even though I don't have a clue about North, East, South, West, bids, auctions, contracts, trumps, dummies and what not.
paulwise3

Post by paulwise3 »

Talking about other electronic games: Last week I went to a second hand shop to collect another chesscomputer, and saw there the Saitek Electronic Dames computer (not to confuse with the Checkers game!). Of course I couldn't let it stay there for only 10 bucks :-).
For my very low dames playing strength it will be a nice challenge.

Once in a while another game to play regards,
Paul
2024 Special thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12741
2024 Special results and standings: https://schaakcomputers.nl/paul_w/Tourn ... 25_06.html
If I am mistaken, it must be caused by a horizon effect...
klute

Post by klute »

paulwise3 wrote:Saitek Electronic Dames computer
I understand Dames is popular in parts of Europe, especially in the Netherlands and France. You'd probably know that DGT offers a Dames e-board with serial interface for serious tournament play, finished to the same standard as its chess e-boards.

I don't play Dames myself and I don't recall Dames computers ever being sold in Australia, but I respect it as a quite profound strategy game compared to checkers / draughts, due to the larger 10 x 10 board, more pieces and the "long jump" moves.
paulwise3

Post by paulwise3 »

klute wrote:
paulwise3 wrote:Saitek Electronic Dames computer
I understand Dames is popular in parts of Europe, especially in the Netherlands and France. You'd probably know that DGT offers a Dames e-board with serial interface for serious tournament play, finished to the same standard as its chess e-boards.

I don't play Dames myself and I don't recall Dames computers ever being sold in Australia, but I respect it as a quite profound strategy game compared to checkers / draughts, due to the larger 10 x 10 board, more pieces and the "long jump" moves.
To be complete, the normal pieces can also capture backwards, and the "queens" can jump and capture as far as they like.
Dames is the only variant played in whole Europe, and also in a number of African countries there are very strong masters. Since long the championships go between the Dutch and the Russian grandmasters, there was once an African master very close, and in the far past also French grandmasters were top, if I remember well.
Checkers is played here hardly anywhere.
The Netherlands have had quite a number of world champions. In my highschool time I once had the opportunity to play against former world champion Piet Roozenburg in a simultan. It took a while, but of course I lost without a chance. But it was a great experience :-).
Compared with chess rating, my Dames elo cannot be much higher then 1200.

Dames regards,
Paul
2024 Special thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12741
2024 Special results and standings: https://schaakcomputers.nl/paul_w/Tourn ... 25_06.html
If I am mistaken, it must be caused by a horizon effect...