Millenium new release of chess computer

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Sargon1972

Re: mcg "technique"

Post by Sargon1972 »

Yarc wrote:
the mighty grob wrote:Hi,
on a setting of game in 60 MCG quite easily beat Novag star diamond and mephisto atlanta I have only played one game against each and didn`t record moves. Seemed to play with "technique" winning without really trying. Rather like my Berlin (has won lots of games using very little of its allotted time!)has done on many occasions, however a game in 30 against the portable expert (cosmos) was drawn.
Just discovered and joined these forums and will record games in future.
I have the following:-
Mephisto London 68000,Atlanta, Master,Cougar(expert @ 50% speed up - could be interesting!? although Selective search gives them both the same rating) Expert, Talking chess academy, Nigel short.
Novag star diamond
A few good matches in there! God we dedicated fans have been starved. :D
I don't know what it is about the Cosmos, but it seems to be very good against some stronger and much faster opposition. All these dedicated machines suffer far more from the horizon effect than say Stockfish on a super fast PC. Maybe it only takes a poor positional assessment and several moves later they can be in trouble irrespective of their speed. This is why several games (min 10) should be played before a slightly more accurate result can be realised.

I haven't pitted the Cosmos against the Star diamond yet, that could be interesting considering the 10 game match I played between the MCG and Cosmos was almost a draw. The MCG won the last game! In my current match with the star diamond at 40 moves in 2 hours, the MCG trounced the SD in the first two games and won the third in an end game. I think the difference in chess rating between these two machines (about 39 ELO going by the result of the 2015 1st Chess friends of the world match discussed earlier) should make this a much closer match. But the SD is not doing great at the moment.
Hello , mostly it depends what opening come on the board, do the computer know ore understand what is be done ,ore needed in it
A fact is that the Kittingers do not like the Lang programs, as the Lang do not like Morsch and J.de King .
SD maybe setting solid is much better for it , well...i am pretty sure about it extensions : OFF

Lang have chess knowledge and play healthy chess, is not a attacker and waits for a opponents error .
Morsch not many knowledge ,calculates very deep in positions lose mostly in endgame ,not much knowledge in endgame
Kittinger , attacker pur sang ,always wants to attack ,do give pawns for active play ore open lines

Good luck with the games ,and i looking forward to seen them

Kr,Hans
Hello
I am from Netherlands and many years involved with computerchess
It,s a way of life i suppose :p

Kr,Hans
Yarc

Re: mcg "technique"

Post by Yarc »

Sargon1972 wrote: Hello , mostly it depends what opening come on the board, do the computer know ore understand what is be done ,ore needed in it
A fact is that the Kittingers do not like the Lang programs, as the Lang do not like Morsch and J.de King .
SD maybe setting solid is much better for it , well...i am pretty sure about it extensions : OFF

Lang have chess knowledge and play healthy chess, is not a attacker and waits for a opponents error .
Morsch not many knowledge ,calculates very deep in positions lose mostly in endgame ,not much knowledge in endgame
Kittinger , attacker pur sang ,always wants to attack ,do give pawns for active play ore open lines

Good luck with the games ,and i looking forward to seen them

Kr,Hans
Hello, yes I would agree about the openings idea, a bad evaluation at this stage could lead to a bad position especially with the horizon effect.

After the current match I might give the SD a go with extensions turned off. Thanks for the info.
Yarc

Post by Yarc »

In my 10 game match, the Star diamond has managed to claw back a game. It gained a slight positional advantage at the opening stage and held onto it during a 60 move battle. I resigned on behalf of the MGC as queening was inevitable. The score now is 3 - 1 to the MCG. I can't wait to see the result of the next 6 games.
Yarc

Post by Yarc »

Finally got round to playing game 5 of my 10 game match between the SD and MCG. This time the MCG won with superior end game play. Score now is 4-1 to the MCG. Still time for the SD to stage a come back.
Yarc

Post by Yarc »

Game 6 and the SD takes another game with superior position from the middle game onwards! Well done to the SD, the score now 4 - 2 to the MCG.
Lars Sandin
SSDF

Post by Lars Sandin »

I have now played 38 tournament-games with the Millenium ChessGenius and have these scores so far in the testing:

Millenium ChessGenius-Mephisto Nigel Short (will be rated in the upcoming SSDF-ratinglist) 12 - 8 (finished)
Millenium ChessGenius-Novag Star Sapphire (2025) 12½-5½ (ongoing)

The games can be seen in the Tournament Games&Results http://www.hiarcs.net/forums/viewforum.php?f=3 section.

Pretty strong start by the ChessGenius so far. I am thinking of matching it against any of these computer next:

Chessmachine 32 MHz Schroeder 3.1 (or 3.0)
Hiarcs Master 2.0 486DX-33
Fidelity Mach IV or the
Mephisto Atlanta

Which would be the most interesting meeting to play out next?
Lars Sandin, SSDF
Larry

Post by Larry »

Lars Sandin wrote:I have now played 38 tournament-games with the Millenium ChessGenius and have these scores so far in the testing:

Millenium ChessGenius-Mephisto Nigel Short (will be rated in the upcoming SSDF-ratinglist) 12 - 8 (finished)
Millenium ChessGenius-Novag Star Sapphire (2025) 12½-5½ (ongoing)

The games can be seen in the Tournament Games&Results http://www.hiarcs.net/forums/viewforum.php?f=3 section.

Pretty strong start by the ChessGenius so far. I am thinking of matching it against any of these computer next:

Chessmachine 32 MHz Schroeder 3.1 (or 3.0)
Hiarcs Master 2.0 486DX-33
Fidelity Mach IV or the
Mephisto Atlanta

Which would be the most interesting meeting to play out next?
I say Atlanta.The MCG will be struggling, but it will be interesting.
Whichever machine plays MCG, I look forward to the match, it's
very much appreciated..
L
SirDave

Post by SirDave »

Yes, the Atlanta and then the Mach IV if you have the time. I'm finding your matches very interesting.

A Wolf in Sheep's Clothing Regards,
Dave
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Another vote for the Atlanta..match should be close
against the Fidelity Mach IV ... @40/2 ..my bet is the MCG would eat its lunch

Mismatched Regards
Steve
Lars Sandin
SSDF

Post by Lars Sandin »

The Atlanta it is then and thanks for the suggestions! :)

It will certainly be an interesting match and hopefully many exciting games.
As the meeting vs. the Star Sapphire is over, I have begun the match and Atlanta drew first blood by winning the first game!
So +1 for the Atlanta so far. I will start the second game this evening.
Lars Sandin, SSDF
John_F

Post by John_F »

Sorry if I missed it somewhere, but have there been enough games played with the MCG to get a pretty good idea of its rating?

I think it was viewed by some as being about the strength of the Saitek RISC 2500. Does that sound about right?
Sargon1972

Post by Sargon1972 »

Hello ,

The Chess Genius is +- 2200 elo , i believe it is now 2180 elo
It is not yet rated on schachcomputer.info
It seems that the Genius have problems to win games vs weaker opponents
Last time it lost from the Fidelity Prestige ...!
And it play better vs stronger opponents
Well for u to follow a on line Active chess tournament is now in progress
http://www.schach-computer.info/wiki/in ... chaft_2016

U can play the games as well

Kr,Hans
Hello
I am from Netherlands and many years involved with computerchess
It,s a way of life i suppose :p

Kr,Hans
John_F

Post by John_F »

Thanks! The "Wiki-Elo-Liste En" show a rating of 2192 for the RISC 2500 as per the SSDF list.

So according to this, the MCG - at this point - is trending just a tiny bit under the RISC 2500. (Perhaps a bit more at faster time controls)
fourthirty

Post by fourthirty »

Yarc wrote:Game 6 and the SD takes another game with superior position from the middle game onwards! Well done to the SD, the score now 4 - 2 to the MCG.
Hi Yarc,

Thanks for pitting the MCG against the SD! Are you planning to post the PGNs of each game at some point? I am curious to see the details of how the SD is playing against the genius.

Anxiously awaiting the results of games 7-10...

Greg
fourthirty

Re: Waiting for Genius?

Post by fourthirty »

spacious_mind wrote:
ChessHouse wrote:
Dave C wrote:
chesspcmac wrote:I want to order one here in the uSA. The best place you guys recommend to place my order is.......
Buying regards
Mike
Mike,
It is good to shop around online. Some examples include: Chess USA is charging 199, Chess House is charging 149.
I purchased from Chess House and they were very professional.

Good luck,
Dave
Thanks Dave! 1st wave of these came in and promptly went out!

If anyone is looking, we are allowing back orders and expect a new shipment before Christmas.

Because delayed Genius is better than none at all...

Professionally yours,
I have to agree with Dave, Chesshouse has been very courteous and I especially liked the personal follow up with emails keeping you informed of order status. Free shipping was also a plus.

Best regards
Nick / Dave - I also agree. I've placed many orders with ChessHouse (including my DGT equipment), and have always been impressed with their customer service.

In fact, I just placed an order this afternoon for my MCG!

I also ordered the power adapter with the extra long cord.

The rest of the collection is scared regards...
Greg