Millenium new release of chess computer

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Yarc

Post by Yarc »

fourthirty wrote:
Yarc wrote:Game 6 and the SD takes another game with superior position from the middle game onwards! Well done to the SD, the score now 4 - 2 to the MCG.
Hi Yarc,

Thanks for pitting the MCG against the SD! Are you planning to post the PGNs of each game at some point? I am curious to see the details of how the SD is playing against the genius.

Anxiously awaiting the results of games 7-10...

Greg
Sorry for the lack of posts, unfortunately real life has got in the way. I plan to play games 7 - 10 soon and will post the games.
fourthirty

Post by fourthirty »

Yarc wrote:Sorry for the lack of posts, unfortunately real life has got in the way. I plan to play games 7 - 10 soon and will post the games.
No need to apologize! I completely understand. I appreciate you playing the games with those time controls!

Greg
fourthirty

Post by fourthirty »

This evening I received my MCG with the (short) power adapter. Very fast shipping from Chess House!

Played several games, and thoroughly enjoyed being destroyed by the Genius.

I left the supplied pieces in the box, and immediately auditioned other sets from my small plastic computer collection.

So far, I must say my small wooden Obsidian pieces are the favorite. A little large for the squares, but still the best in my opinion:

Any other suggestions on a compatible set? Is everyone else using the factory supplied set, or pieces from a different computer?

Greg
paulwise3

Post by paulwise3 »

Hi Greg,

If you like wooden pieces the best, you should use those from the Carnelian II. They are smaller, an also nicely shaped :-)

Edit: I still use the original set. But who knows it plays stronger with wood! ;-)

Best regards, Paul
2024 Special thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12741
2024 Special results and standings: https://schaakcomputers.nl/paul_w/Tourn ... 25_06.html
If I am mistaken, it must be caused by a horizon effect...
Bryan Whitby

Post by Bryan Whitby »

Yes it plays +ELO 50 better if you use wooden pieces 😜
Cyberchess

Post by Cyberchess »

fourthirty wrote:I left the supplied pieces in the box, and immediately auditioned other sets from my small plastic computer collection.

So far, I must say my small wooden Obsidian pieces are the favorite. A little large for the squares, but still the best in my opinion:

Any other suggestions on a compatible set? Is everyone else using the factory supplied set, or pieces from a different computer?

Greg
Congratulations on your new acquisition, Greg!

The pieces from the Novag Obsidian, while slightly large for the squares, look very good to me.
Also, keeping in line with the black and white themed board and casing, the small French magnetic set that came with my 1979 Fidelity Voice Chess Challenger comes to mind.

There is a detailed photo of these on Ismenio’s site HERE.

Piece Play Auditioning Regards,
John
paulwise3

Post by paulwise3 »

Chessmaster Ireland wrote:Yes it plays +ELO 50 better if you use wooden pieces 😜
That reminds me of the woodcoulored set of the Sphinx Sierra that I used one time for the Concerto. It performed noticably better! ;-)
2024 Special results and standings: https://schaakcomputers.nl/paul_w/Tourn ... 25_06.html
Bryan Whitby

Post by Bryan Whitby »

Paul

I wonder if it has a reverse effect if you play on a wooden board with plastic pieces 👍

Bryan
paulwise3

Post by paulwise3 »

Hi Bryan,

Without doubt! :-P
Last weekend in Klingenberg I saw the Nigel Short (allthough plastic too) played with the pieces of the Excalibur Saber IV/Chess Station.
It scored only one draw out of 6...

Paul
fourthirty

Post by fourthirty »

paulwise3 wrote:Hi Greg,

If you like wooden pieces the best, you should use those from the Carnelian II. They are smaller, an also nicely shaped :-)

Edit: I still use the original set. But who knows it plays stronger with wood! ;-)

Best regards, Paul
Thanks Paul. I own several Novag's now, but not the Carnelian II!

Ahhh, so the wooden pieces increase the ELO rating? Well, now I understand why the Genius has been beating me so badly! I guess I should break out those plastic pieces. LOL.

Placebo regards,
Greg
fourthirty

Post by fourthirty »

Cyberchess wrote:
fourthirty wrote:I left the supplied pieces in the box, and immediately auditioned other sets from my small plastic computer collection.

Greg
Congratulations on your new acquisition, Greg!

The pieces from the Novag Obsidian, while slightly large for the squares, look very good to me.
Also, keeping in line with the black and white themed board and casing, the small French magnetic set that came with my 1979 Fidelity Voice Chess Challenger comes to mind.

There is a detailed photo of these on Ismenio’s site HERE.

Piece Play Auditioning Regards,
John
Thanks John. Yes, all the sets are now fighting for a spot to be on the new MCG dance floor, since it will be the computer that gets the most play this year.
Yarc

The continuing story of MCG V SD

Post by Yarc »

Well, I finally have found some time to continue my 10 game match between the Star Diamond and MCG. Managed to complete two more games at the 40 moves in 2 hours time control. The match started with the MCG storming ahead with a 4 games to 2 lead, but the SD has started to fight back drawing game 7 and wining game 8! So the current score is 4.5 V 3.5 in favour of the MCG. This is somewhat of a relief as the SD is a good machine and its ELO rating of around 178 would imply the result of this match should be close.

Game 8 was interesting as the SD's evaluation of its position throughout the game was always much higher than that indicated by the MCG. I record the moves with Chess Genius on my tablet which is obviously running much faster than the MCG, but interestingly both Chess Genius programs did not consider the SD had such a big advantage. The difference in score was in the region of a pawn, so the SD was obviously seeing a good positional advantage that the others missed.

Two more games to go with the SD still having a chance to win the match. Will the MCG show its might and finally win? Watch this space....
paulwise3

Post by paulwise3 »

Hi Yarc,

Thanx for your report! I hope you will share the moves of game 8 with us, will be interesting to see how other programs/machines judge the positions ;-)

Curious regards,
Paul
Yarc

Post by Yarc »

paulwise3 wrote:Hi Yarc,

Thanx for your report! I hope you will share the moves of game 8 with us, will be interesting to see how other programs/machines judge the positions ;-)

Curious regards,
Paul
I certainly will. Next couple of days are busy for me again, but hopefully should get to complete this match soon and will publish all games.

I think it's interesting watching these machines play, especially as they all suffer from the horizon effect. This introduces surprises in the games and makes them all the more fun to watch.

After this match I may try a match at the same time control against the Magellan. This machine might pose more of a stumbling block, especially considering the Cosmos did surprisingly well against the MCG.
Bryan Whitby

Post by Bryan Whitby »

Looks like details of the new Millennium ChessGenius Pro will be announced on the 1st July.