Millenium new release of chess computer

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
paulwise3

Post by paulwise3 »

Here is the official Millenium page about the MCG Pro:
http://www.millennium2000.de/chessgenius-pro

I took the liberty of making a rough translation of the important stuff:
The following improvements bring the Genius Pro in comparison to the standard model:
- Significantly faster processor with 120 MHz
- 160 KB RAM for hashtables
- Automatic power supply detection to deactivate the power saving mode
- Much improved sensor board with lightweighted pressure point
- 2 different opening books, "Classic London" with 57,000 positions and "Modern" with more than 100,000 positions
- Display of move numbers in the INFO mode
- New mate solving Level "Mate in X"
- Chrome Figure set
- Figures with Felt Bottom

Due to the increased performance of the processor, we recommend using the optional AC adapter M811 (Note: this is the same one as for the normal MCG)
The new model will be available from 01.09.2016 in stores.

Features, specifications
- ARM Cortex M4 processor with 120 MHz clock rate
- 160 KB RAM
- Magnetic pressure sensor board with smooth sensors
- lighted chessboard display
- Choose from 7 language, text-based menu navigation
- Software Original Chess Genius by Richard Lang

Delivery comprises of
- Chess Genius Pro
- 3 x AA alkaline batteries
- Figures in chrome, with Felt Bottom
- Manual in 7 languages
- Packaging with tray for figures, batteries and power supply Storage
Officially at least 2200 elo, but if that implies the same as for the normal MCG being stated as at least 2000 elo, then ...?!?

Already ordered one regards,
Paul
2024 Special thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12741
2024 Special results and standings: https://schaakcomputers.nl/paul_w/Tourn ... 25_06.html
If I am mistaken, it must be caused by a horizon effect...
Yarc

Post by Yarc »

paulwise3 wrote:It turns out that the MCG can only be tuned to max. double frequency, and gains not so much in strength, maybe max. 50 elo points.
Interesting. Perhaps the processor has already been tuned fairly high as standard. If this is the case I imagine the MCG Pro will also contain an already tuned processor.
paulwise3

Post by paulwise3 »

Yarc wrote:
paulwise3 wrote:It turns out that the MCG can only be tuned to max. double frequency, and gains not so much in strength, maybe max. 50 elo points.
Interesting. Perhaps the processor has already been tuned fairly high as standard. If this is the case I imagine the MCG Pro will also contain an already tuned processor.
Yarc, this limitation does not mean that the processor cannot run faster. It only means that the whole configuration of the MCG is not stable at higher frequencies.
2024 Special results and standings: https://schaakcomputers.nl/paul_w/Tourn ... 25_06.html
Yarc

Post by Yarc »

paulwise3 wrote: Yarc, this limitation does not mean that the processor cannot run faster. It only means that the whole configuration of the MCG is not stable at higher frequencies.
I just wondered if they were using a cheaper processor and already running it close to its limit. A bit like Intel processors being graded and thus determining their maximum safe speed.
IA

Post by IA »

"Modern Book", more than 100,000 positions, completely new library of modern opening variations. From HIARCS....... :D

Web: https://webshoparea.de/millennium/toysv ... genius-pro

The new machine M ChessGenius Pro is a Monster Chess.

Regards.....:wink:
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

IA wrote:"Modern Book", more than 100,000 positions, completely new library of modern opening variations. From HIARCS....... :D
Yes
have known about this for months now but was not permitted to disclose the info until it was released publicly..we have very strict "insider trading" rules here in the forum

should make the CGPro very interesting in that we can say it has two authors

Two for the price of one regards
Steve
Yarc

Post by Yarc »

I shall probably be getting an MCG Pro. Just checked with the London Chess & Bridge shop and they plan on stocking them. The trouble is with the current value of the Pound against the Euro, it could be priced at £150+. Still, even at this price the spec is rather good.
Sargon1972

Post by Sargon1972 »

Yarc wrote:
Hello ,

Both Chess Genius and Chess Genius Pro have standard CPU inside , so no over clock there .
There is a Chess Genius tuned to 82Mhz ,brings +-50 elo more then the normal one
i have been and still testing the new Chess Genius Pro ,and i would say ,not bad :lol:
On the site of Millennium will be placed the games ,so a little patience please

Kr,Hans
Hello
I am from Netherlands and many years involved with computerchess
It,s a way of life i suppose :p

Kr,Hans
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

paulwise3 wrote:Here is the official Millenium page about the MCG Pro:
http://www.millennium2000.de/chessgenius-pro

I took the liberty of making a rough translation of the important stuff:
The following improvements bring the Genius Pro in comparison to the standard model:
- Significantly faster processor with 120 MHz
- 160 KB RAM for hashtables
- Automatic power supply detection to deactivate the power saving mode
- Much improved sensor board with lightweighted pressure point
- 2 different opening books, "Classic London" with 57,000 positions and "Modern" with more than 100,000 positions
- Display of move numbers in the INFO mode
- New mate solving Level "Mate in X"
- Chrome Figure set
- Figures with Felt Bottom

Due to the increased performance of the processor, we recommend using the optional AC adapter M811 (Note: this is the same one as for the normal MCG)
The new model will be available from 01.09.2016 in stores.

Features, specifications
- ARM Cortex M4 processor with 120 MHz clock rate
- 160 KB RAM
- Magnetic pressure sensor board with smooth sensors
- lighted chessboard display
- Choose from 7 language, text-based menu navigation
- Software Original Chess Genius by Richard Lang

Delivery comprises of
- Chess Genius Pro
- 3 x AA alkaline batteries
- Figures in chrome, with Felt Bottom
- Manual in 7 languages
- Packaging with tray for figures, batteries and power supply Storage
Officially at least 2200 elo, but if that implies the same as for the normal MCG being stated as at least 2000 elo, then ...?!?

Already ordered one regards,
Paul
Thanks. Detailed reasons NOt to purchase.
Festina Lente
Yarc

Post by Yarc »

Sargon1972 wrote:Hello ,

Both Chess Genius and Chess Genius Pro have standard CPU inside , so no over clock there .
There is a Chess Genius tuned to 82Mhz ,brings +-50 elo more then the normal one
i have been and still testing the new Chess Genius Pro ,and i would say ,not bad :lol:
On the site of Millennium will be placed the games ,so a little patience please

Kr,Hans
@Sargon1972: Thanks for the info. Interesting that doubling the speed only produced an extra 50 ELO. I'm looking forward to seeing the results of the new machine.

Regards

Yarc.
Reinfeld

Post by Reinfeld »

Forgive me for lacking the patience to sift through 43 pages of comments, but isn't it a happy moment when we get a new dedicated? I've been half-watching development on MCG for months, but given the collecting desert, it sure feels like a reasonable acquisition: A nice strong Lang program in a modern package. Am I wrong? Steve?

- R.
"You have, let us say, a promising politician, a rising artist that you wish to destroy. Dagger or bomb are archaic and unreliable - but teach him, inoculate him with chess."
– H.G. Wells
Reinfeld

Post by Reinfeld »

P.S. - I have Chess Genius on my phone. No, not as strong as Stockfish, HIARCS, Shredder, etc., but what the hell is? The appeal of Lang's programs feels like this for me:

1) It's easily the most distinctively *personal* engine of the main players. All the others, apart from Kittinger, kick your ass without a shred of soul.

2) To be fanciful, Lang's program is the most Karpovian of engines. It does not seek immediate tactical kills like Morsch or Spracklen (or even Schroder). Invariably, it waits, refusing dubious exchanges, avoiding melees, inviting endings, etc. It waits for you to screw up. It is maddening, and thus, a very human (if conservative) player.

- R.
"You have, let us say, a promising politician, a rising artist that you wish to destroy. Dagger or bomb are archaic and unreliable - but teach him, inoculate him with chess."
– H.G. Wells
paulwise3

Post by paulwise3 »

Yarc wrote:
@Sargon1972: Thanks for the info. Interesting that doubling the speed only produced an extra 50 ELO.
Hi Yarc,

It is a general rule of thumb that doubling the speed gains 50 elo-points.
Of course there are exceptions, but not too many.

Regards, Paul
Lars Sandin
SSDF

Post by Lars Sandin »

It seems to be a pretty impressive set of updated features in the new Millenium ChessGenius Pro! Great work from R.Lang and Millenium! Amazing news for us dedicated chess computer fans and it will be very interesting to see how it performs when it will be released.

My manual testing of the "old" Millenium Chess Genius has now reached 62 games in total. The meeting against the strong Mephisto Atlanta is finished. As requested in some earlier post I then started a meeting against the Fidelity Mach IV. I managed to play one complete game before I had to change opponent to the Mephisto MM 4 due to some space constraints in my testing area. It takes a bit of space to have 4 manual meetings going on at the same time, so to save some space; and as the Mephisto Nigel Short played its last game against the Mephisto MM 4, I took the liberty to change the opponent to MM 4. I will most surely continue the Mil.C.Gen-MachIV meeting when I'm finished, but for now it will be Nigel that will play the Mach IV.

The complete score for this meeting was:

Millenium ChessGenius - Mephisto Atlanta (2084) 10-10

Games are in the tournament/matches part of the forum as usual.

And here is the standings against the new opponents:

Millenium ChessGenius - Fidelity Mach IV 0-1 (on hold)
Millenium ChessGenius - Mephisto MM 4 0-1 (current meeting)
Lars Sandin, SSDF
Yarc

Post by Yarc »

paulwise3 wrote:
Yarc wrote:
@Sargon1972: Thanks for the info. Interesting that doubling the speed only produced an extra 50 ELO.
Hi Yarc,

It is a general rule of thumb that doubling the speed gains 50 elo-points.
Of course there are exceptions, but not too many.

Regards, Paul
Hi Paul.

Yes, I now have my thinking cap on. In fact, remembering my Selective Search magazines, PC chess programs achieved an extra 30 ELO for each doubling of 1200Mhz speed, so + 50 ELO is actually good.

Regards

Yarc.