Millenium new release of chess computer

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Larry

Post by Larry »

I think you'll find the 50elo gain applies to the first doubling only.
There is a sharply diminishing return on later doublings. And some
programs "scale" better than others, ie, they respond more to
hardware improvements.
L
Yarc

Post by Yarc »

Larry wrote:I think you'll find the 50elo gain applies to the first doubling only.
There is a sharply diminishing return on later doublings. And some
programs "scale" better than others, ie, they respond more to
hardware improvements.
L
I believe ChessGenius scales less than other engines. Maybe it's more of a knowledge based program. Either way, I think for a dedicated machine, the playing strength we are seeing is still very good especially for the price.
SirDave

Post by SirDave »

Are there any pictures out there of the new Pro? All I've seen is the px that shows only part of it.
IA

Post by IA »

In the previous machine MCG 1 went very little in terms of strength and calculate +2100 Elo and many here do not believe it.

For the new technical features MCGP2 +100 Elo (+2200 Elo) must have the previous version, but Blitz should be of the best machines in the world.

Regards... :D
Yarc

Post by Yarc »

SirDave wrote:Are there any pictures out there of the new Pro? All I've seen is the px that shows only part of it.
Don't know if you have seen this picture on Niggermann's web site:

https://www.schachversand.de/startneue2.htm

Click on the link: 'Picture 2' and this will display a picture looking down on the MCG Pro. It seems to have a new metallic border.
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

Yarc wrote:
SirDave wrote:Are there any pictures out there of the new Pro? All I've seen is the px that shows only part of it.
Don't know if you have seen this picture on Niggermann's web site:

https://www.schachversand.de/startneue2.htm

Click on the link: 'Picture 2' and this will display a picture looking down on the MCG Pro. It seems to have a new metallic border.
Same design, same programmer, same price, same style....mmmm, no, I will not get it.
Festina Lente
Yarc

Post by Yarc »

Fernando wrote:Same design, same programmer, same price, same style....mmmm, no, I will not get it.
I admire your resolve. For me, well I'm going to feed my desire and buy one as I think it is a good upgrade. However, if there is another version of the same next year, faster processor, more RAM but same case, then I will probably refrain. It would be better if they made it modular so that we could just buy an upgrade and plug in a little black box somewhere.
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

Yarc wrote:
Fernando wrote:Same design, same programmer, same price, same style....mmmm, no, I will not get it.
I admire your resolve. For me, well I'm going to feed my desire and buy one as I think it is a good upgrade. However, if there is another version of the same next year, faster processor, more RAM but same case, then I will probably refrain. It would be better if they made it modular so that we could just buy an upgrade and plug in a little black box somewhere.
It is not only resolve, it is also a matter of financial necessity. I am not that affluent these days to purchase on the ground of an impulse that, thanks God, does not exist in this case, BUT surely would exist if these guys in Millenium had followed the path I mentioned time ago, say, to offer new products by others programmers in a kind of universal revival of the old good times.

Fern
Festina Lente
Yarc

Post by Yarc »

Fernando wrote:
Yarc wrote:
It is not only resolve, it is also a matter of financial necessity. I am not that affluent these days to purchase on the ground of an impulse that, thanks God, does not exist in this case, BUT surely would exist if these guys in Millenium had followed the path I mentioned time ago, say, to offer new products by others programmers in a kind of universal revival of the old good times.

Fern
I completely understand.

You never know, Millenium's efforts to revive the dedicated machine may promote other machines to be produced, but somehow, I don't think that's going to happen anytime soon. I hope to be proved wrong of course!
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Fernando wrote:
It is not only resolve, it is also a matter of financial necessity. I am not that affluent these days
While i would also like to see an upgrade with some other programmer then Lang.. at least here we have the addition of the "Human "book from Hiarcs(Uniacke)
besides.. the cost is trivial..you know as well as i do that you can easily afford this computer which is less then $200 bucks

Miserly Regards
Steve
xchessg

Post by xchessg »

Steve B wrote:.. at least here we have the addition of the "Human "book from Hiarcs(Uniacke)
I'm not quite sure what to think of that... After all, Genius's style is very machine-like, the exact opposite of a human style. I would buy the thing just to witness first hand how it panics when it gets out of book... with evaluations like -1.50 straight away, I guess ("I'm a pawn down and I have no mate in sight! aaaargh!")

A bit like being witness to someone throwing a cat in the water...

Xavier
Sargon1972

Post by Sargon1972 »

Hello Xavier,

Hey Xavier what u did wrote ,that is still not happen in any test game i have played ,so do not "panic" hihi
When it is released i can write a bit more and mine opinion about the program and the book

Kr,Hans
Hello
I am from Netherlands and many years involved with computerchess
It,s a way of life i suppose :p

Kr,Hans
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

Steve B wrote:
Fernando wrote:
It is not only resolve, it is also a matter of financial necessity. I am not that affluent these days
While i would also like to see an upgrade with some other programmer then Lang.. at least here we have the addition of the "Human "book from Hiarcs(Uniacke)
besides.. the cost is trivial..you know as well as i do that you can easily afford this computer which is less then $200 bucks

Miserly Regards
Steve
MAYBE it will cost less than 200 buck to you, but for me, according the experience I had with the first Millenium, you can easily double that cost.
Yes, I can get even that money, but then my family will not have a hot meal every day at least at lunch.

From real poverty regards
Fern
Festina Lente
mclane

Post by mclane »

We will collect money for you so that you get one hot meal a day Fernando.
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

mclane wrote:We will collect money for you so that you get one hot meal a day Fernando.
Well, pal, if you are going to bother with a collect for me, I would ask too money to renovate my car....

No half measures regards
Fern
Festina Lente