aristotle!!!

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

aristotle!!!

Post by Fernando »

Looking at the Baron site I found this "Aristotle" tablet for chess which looks great..

Some of you knows about it?

Fern
Festina Lente
pr1uk

Post by pr1uk »

This one if anyone is interested

http://www.chessbaron.co.uk/chess-CM2028.htm

Peter
King Performance Chess Computer M830
mclane

Post by mclane »

I don't understand your euphorical emotions. This is a tablet PC with quad ore and a chess program running on it
I see nothing special in it.

There are dozens of tablet pcs and dozens of chess programs for android, iOS and windows phone tablets.
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

mclane wrote:I don't understand your euphorical emotions. This is a tablet PC with quad ore and a chess program running on it

There are dozens of tablet pcs and dozens of chess programs for android, iOS and windows phone tablets.
yes, BUT this one ONLY run chess programs....
Curiously enough, one of the factors that make us -or at least me- addicted to chess computer is that simple fact: they are dedicated, so they have an identity.
A common tablet running a chess program but also anything else is destitute of that personality.

Fern
Festina Lente
pr1uk

Post by pr1uk »

Curiously enough, one of the factors that make us -or at least me- addicted to chess computer is that simple fact: they are dedicated, so they have an identity.
A common tablet running a chess program but also anything else is destitute of that personality.

Fern
Nicely put

Peter
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Fernando wrote:
mclane wrote:I don't understand your euphorical emotions. This is a tablet PC with quad ore and a chess program running on it

Fern
Sadly this tablet does not meet the strict definition of a dedicated chess computer
a computer must only be able to play chess ...but also...it must not have the ability or possibility to do anything else
the tablet can connect online to the internet
it has programs therefore which have nothing to do with chess
probably web browsers ,and other PC related programs
you probably can download or install other non-chess related programs
no difference between this and a PC stripped of all its programs by the owner except those needed to play chess engines

Rejected Regards
Steve
xchessg

Post by xchessg »

Steve B wrote:
Sadly this tablet does not meet the strict definition of a dedicated chess computer
a computer must only be able to play chess ...but also...it must not have the ability or possibility to do anything else
the tablet can connect online to the internet
it has programs therefore which have nothing to do with chess
probably web browsers ,and other PC related programs
you probably can download or install other non-chess related programs
no difference between this and a PC stripped of all its programs by the owner except those needed to play chess engines

Rejected Regards
Steve
Yeah,

A bit like a Wundermaschine, wouldn't you say :twisted: ?

I wouldn't buy it today, just like I don't like all chess playing cellphones of super grandmaster strenght, these are just a pain for every chess tournement organiser.

But in the future? I daren't say where my all-that's-chess-related obsession will bring me to...

Hell, I'm dedicated regards

Xavier
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

xchessg wrote:
Yeah,

A bit like a Wundermaschine, wouldn't you say :twisted: ?
Yes ...and i have said several times here that the WM does not meet the strict definition

Consistent Regards
Steve
pr1uk

Post by pr1uk »

Steve B wrote:
Yes ...and i have said several times here that the WM does not meet the strict definition

Consistent Regards
Steve
Well in that case i don't think it should tarnish your collection best pack it up and send to me post haste
(':wink:')

Peter
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

What Baron says of its Aristotle....

Post by Fernando »

It's not just a normal tablet guys. It's a quad core machine and has the best apps for a chess player to want. Those apps cost money too - so each Aristotle includes the price of the apps. Put together a very high spec tablet with the cost of the apps - it's not a bad buy. Try buying an economical tablet in ebay - how many tries before you get a decent spec machine? We've gone through several suppliers and we now have a great tablet to use as the basis for our product. Our tablet is as good as the Nexus 7 which you can't buy for under $200.

Notmtwain - it's not $200, it's £99 (which is $155). UK shipping is free.

Kleelof - umhh, good point. But if we call it Kasparov we hit copyright issues. All the same, good point.

However, it's true to say that if you have a decent tablet, you don't need our Aristotle - you can get the apps yourself. We don't make any secret of that, and even when customers call up we say that.

We also stay on top of the apps. We don't do stockfish any more because it's not good for weaker players. We now have a suite of superb apps that are the best in the market. Good chess players will know these and probably use them - but most people don't know which apps are the best and which can be used for all playing levels, and which don't annoy with ads.

Take care guys!
Festina Lente