Kaplan programs

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Sargon1972

Kaplan programs

Post by Sargon1972 »

Hello Guys ,

Well we have try to make the many questions people have what version they have from Julio Kaplan in their SciSys/Saitek ore Radioshack
The difference between versions and a Test positions

To find on www.chesseval.com
http://chesseval.com/ChessEvalJournal/Kaplan.htm

Also the incredible story of the Daimler Benz Boards ,ultra rare and only 3 where made from this boards ,a work between Daimler Benz and H&G (Mephisto)

http://chesseval.com/ChessEvalJournal/DaimlerBenz.htm

more story,s will come we hope ,well ...they are in progress :lol:

Enjoy

Kr,Hans
Hello
I am from Netherlands and many years involved with computerchess
It,s a way of life i suppose :p

Kr,Hans
IvenGO

Post by IvenGO »

Hi, I would say that there's a misunderstanding what exactly between TK-I and TK-II differences are. From my point of view the main is not a software version (this one in Wiki that's called TK-II is rated wiith v.D so this way we can probably call D+ TK-III ?!) but some tech. improvements done for motherboard 1990 from 1988, specially that old R65C02P4 cpu was replaced by newer W65CCO2-6Mhz...

Also I want to suggest to add E5 reply in use's library coz D+ plays really much better Ruy Lopez than Caro-Cann, so the perfomance will increase!
Sargon1972

Post by Sargon1972 »

Hello Ivan,

Maybe the CPU is new and other stuff , but in mine knowledge and research there is no TK II with a 6mhz CPU
both are 65C02 CPU
U have indeed TK with D program and very very few with D+ inside
Otherwise give me prove with a picture ore so of the CPU 6Mhz of a TK II
But i am not the all knowing of chess computers i am very curious of the 6mhz TK II if it exist at all
About the book , it was just explaining that u can see what version u have ,not talking about increasing strength
The D+/D++ play in Russian opening Nxf7 other versions will not do this

Curious 6mhz TK II greetings ,Hans
Hello
I am from Netherlands and many years involved with computerchess
It,s a way of life i suppose :p

Kr,Hans
mclane

Post by mclane »

Yes the d+ and d++ have a der Kamikaze openings. That makes life more interesting.
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....
IvenGO

Post by IvenGO »

I meant that 1988's m/board (TK-1) contains "old" cpu by Rockwell and 1990's m/board (TK-2) - "new" cpu by WesternDigital that has been marked as 6Mhz-ready model, but quartz is 5Mhz. For openings I just made a suggestion for test games/matches so its ELO could be calculated more accurate...
dedicate computers

W65CCO2-6Mhz...

Post by dedicate computers »

Hi
The processor W65CCO2-6Mhz has more instructions than the R65C02P4?
Interesting because the Super Expert A has the processor R65C02P4 e o Super Expert B and C came with processor W65CCO2-6Mhz.
IvenGO

Post by IvenGO »

I think they are at least 99% same including perfomance. What is more strange is that my TK has only 8k RAM onboard :evil:
And also there's one crap microcontroller by NEC that limits tuning to 6Mhz only while for 6502 cpu's themselves its possible to tweak at least x2 without any problems!
dedicate computers

TK

Hello IvenGO;

When you say TK, what exactly you want to refer?
Regards
Oswaldo
IvenGO

Post by IvenGO »

TK means TurboKing :D

And here we can see the "older" platine but with 16kb RAM :!:
http://www.schach-computer.info/wiki/im ... nboard.jpg
dedicate computers

R65C02P4 to W65CCO2

See, I have a Super Expert A. I changed the eproms to SEC. Originally is working with the processor R65C02P4 at speed of 5 MHz, if I change the processor to W65CCO2 and increase the clock to 6 MHz the computer clock should go more faster?
trontreez

Electronic

Post by trontreez »

dedicate computers wrote:See, I have a Super Expert A. I changed the eproms to SEC. Originally is working with the processor R65C02P4 at speed of 5 MHz, if I change the processor to W65CCO2 and increase the clock to 6 MHz the computer clock should go more faster?
Sorry a bit off topic here but where can us English speaking fellows go to for all our tuning advice and needs? I'm always keen to upgrade my existing chess computers where possible but don't speak German and don't have a background in electronics either. I tried putting in a 10Mhz quartz crystal in my 6Mhz Analyst C module. It still seems to work but I'm not sure if I need to do anything further to realise a full 10Mhz clock speed. Maybe Bryan, McClane or one other the guys here can give a weekly tutorial? I'm mostly interested in 8-bit boards, 6502 and similar processors and 27c256 ROM chips :)
IvenGO

Re: R65C02P4 to W65CCO2

Post by IvenGO »

dedicate computers wrote:See, I have a Super Expert A. I changed the eproms to SEC. Originally is working with the processor R65C02P4 at speed of 5 MHz, if I change the processor to W65CCO2 and increase the clock to 6 MHz the computer clock should go more faster?
Generally changing frequency also requires minor fixes in software (for correct clocks) but for SE/SF idk... maybe "C" programm already can operate correctly at both 5 and 6 Mhz...
Take a look here:
https://sites.google.com/site/proyectos ... er_forte_a
Last edited by IvenGO on Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
IvenGO

Re: Electronic

Post by IvenGO »

trontreez wrote:Sorry a bit off topic here but where can us English speaking fellows go to for all our tuning advice and needs? I'm always keen to upgrade my existing chess computers where possible but don't speak German and don't have a background in electronics either. I tried putting in a 10Mhz quartz crystal in my 6Mhz Analyst C module. It still seems to work but I'm not sure if I need to do anything further to realise a full 10Mhz clock speed. Maybe Bryan, McClane or one other the guys here can give a weekly tutorial? I'm mostly interested in 8-bit boards, 6502 and similar processors and 27c256 ROM chips :)
Are the clocks working correctly? Because tuning from 6 to 10 gives x1.67 speed up and time controls should become wrong (possible to try 12Mhz so the multiplier will be = x2). Also for 10Mhz You have to set EPROMS of 100ns acсess time for better perfomance.
trontreez

Re: Electronic

Post by trontreez »

IvenGO wrote: Are the clocks working correctly? Because tuning from 6 to 10 gives x1.67 speed up and time controls should become wrong (possible to try 12Mhz so the multiplier will be = x2). Also for 10Mhz You have to set EPROMS of 100ns acess time for better perfomance.
Well the computer seems to respond a little quicker than expected at times but I haven't confirmed if the clock is quicker yet. I also think someone mentioned the Leonardo hardware itself controls the time controls not the module. So maybe a Colditz or BT position is needed. The book and game ROMs are both 85ns factory default.
trontreez

Post by trontreez »

OK well it seems as if my Analyst is running 3secs/min slower than it should so somehow I've under-clocked it. Does anyone know what the factory quartz crystal in a Analyst 6Mhz should be?

So I have a WDC, W65CO2P-8 processor does this mean I can only go to 8Mhz? In any case it's a socket fit so no probs going to an eventual 10Mhz one day I guess.
With 5 MHz, although you have to be careful here, because in the 6 MHz Analyst module, for example, there is no 6 MHz crystal, but a 5,626 MHz crystal, the migration period should purely arithmetically based on the C version at ~ arrive 1 hour at the D version ~ 13 min, D+ ~ 27 min. and D++ ~ 1 hour 9 min. If one 5,626 to 5 basis: C ~ 56 min, 13 min D ~, D+ ~ 26 min and D++ 1h 5 min