Kaplan programs

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
arowana

Saitek Maestro D module 10mHz

Post by arowana »

Hi, hoping I can get some advice for my maestro D module.

- Is it possible to increase the speed by changing the processor? I have the W65c02p-8 processor and 10mhz crystal

-does anybody know what the D chip slot is for? next to the C slot that accommodates the end game rom?

I have some photos of the module board but not sure how to post.

Any help will be much appreciated.
trontreez

Post by trontreez »

Both D and E are the RAM slots. My Analyst C has RAM in D and E slot vacant. Apparently this is unusual. Maybe Hans can confirm? Please post pictures so we can compare boards. You can see mine in the link below:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/137954842 ... 1397972365

You can increase the clock speed switching out the quartz crystal with one of a higher frequency. It's trial and error so maybe just go for 12 or 14Mhz but 16 or even 20 may be possible?!. In any case the processor is designed for 8Mhz only. Analyst/Maestro have odd factory quartz frequencies so your time clocks will be slightly off. Make sure you don't make the same mistake as I did and discarded the original quartz.

Curious Regards,

Your Pal
tt
arowana

Post by arowana »

Hi TT

Some photos attached below. The ram chip in slot D did not come with the module I added it later based some stuff I read on the internet. It made no difference to the module or number of games / moves I could store. The module came with slot D empty, the EGR II was preinstalled,

I have done the D++ upgrade, but the chips in the photos are the original D,

Any advice on how to increase the speed would be great. I am running the module on a Renaissance.

Please let me know if the photos work, links below, and also if you want any close up photos.

arowana

Post by arowana »

Further to my post above, I include an extract of an email from Saitek (dated 2000)

With regards to the Maestro D 10 MHz module, the most you can do is add an additional 8Kb of RAM. The ROM cannot be upgraded without a complete rewrite of the program. We are trying to locate the specs of the RAM and will forward this to you once we have it on hand.

For information, the 8kb of RAM had no effect.
Sargon1972

Post by Sargon1972 »

Hello ,

Yes u can increase speed of this Module , i have a Analyst C 6mhz to 18mhz upgrade
So where here to the tuning factor , mine was done many years back by a German person . It still runs 100%
I can look for u who did this , but the price is +-400 euro ore even 450 euro
It is not that easy as only swap cpu ore crystal . the entire PCB must be done with new components
So it is many hours works as u understand .

Kr,Hans
Hello
I am from Netherlands and many years involved with computerchess
It,s a way of life i suppose :p

Kr,Hans
arowana

Post by arowana »

Yes if you could send me the details of the person, was hoping it would be simpler to upgrade

Has anybody ever tried making there own modules, do you know if saitek have ever released the fabrication drawings for there modules all they seem to have released is the OSA cable drawings

:
Sargon1972

Post by Sargon1972 »

Hello ,

I must search who did it for me ,so it cane take time .
I never seen these layouts of the Modules ,and it would be not wise from the company i think . Other ore starting company,s could take this layouts and make a "new" idea there self. what is so good as "stolen"

Kr,Hans
Hello

Kr,Hans
paulwise3

Re: Kaplan programs

Post by paulwise3 »

Sargon1972 wrote:Hello Guys ,

Well we have try to make the many questions people have what version they have from Julio Kaplan in their SciSys/Saitek ore Radioshack
The difference between versions and a Test positions

To find on www.chesseval.com
http://chesseval.com/ChessEvalJournal/Kaplan.htm
Hi Hans,

I look at the Kaplan page, but I miss the version differences and test positions.
The question I have is: Are the Tandy 1850 and the Saitek Team Mate clones? Given the specs I suspected it is so, and in a testgame they only played one move different...

Curious regards,
Paul
2024 Special thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12741
2024 Special results and standings: https://schaakcomputers.nl/paul_w/Tourn ... 25_06.html
If I am mistaken, it must be caused by a horizon effect...
Sargon1972

Post by Sargon1972 »

Hello Paul,

I have looked to again ,of the story i wrote ,and yes the test position and versions are gone ??

I will look into that

Kr,Hans
Hello

Kr,Hans
Sargon1972

Post by Sargon1972 »

Hello ,

Because mine friend have moved to a other house also on the server is there gone something wrong due his new house :D
If it is good it will be fixed soon

Kr,Hans
Hello

Kr,Hans