Was I ROBBED or am I wrong?

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
chesspcmac

Was I ROBBED or am I wrong?

Post by chesspcmac »

Brief history:
Back in 1991 after hard work I have managed to save enough money to buy me a nice ELITE AVANT GARDE v2 in a little 2nd floor store in Montclair NJ (probably Guru Steve knew the store, 75 minutes from NYC). The name of the store was PBM, a Yugoslavian (at that time) dude was the owner. I bought the computer and played with it for days and days until a week later the computer somehow stopped working.

I went back to the store and the nice PBM yugoslavian guy told me "No problem, I'll give you a new one in exchange" and I went home with my new computer and continued to play chess for many days and weeks and months and years....

Now.....24 years later Im checking and playing with my Elite Avant garde V2 when I checked the Model number and is: 6114

Serial number is 92230474

I did Mr Steve little trick pressing the TB key and it shows FD5C-49AC
So what do I have????
Should a version 2 be 6114-2 or simply 6114?
I saw Some of Steve's pics and I saw that he has 6114-3, 6114-4, 6114-5 ...well you get the idea....Steve has everything and in duplicates!!

So was I robbed by the nice Yugoslavian guy or do I have a 6114-2 and I just dont know it.?
I have a sinking feeling that I have the version 1.
Well guys Im ready for the truth, I think I can take it. Be gentle!!!!

I wish I had a time machine or too late for revenge..... regards

Mike
"Sir, the slowness of genius is hard to bear, but the slowness of mediocrity is insufferable"

Henry Thomas Buckle
dedicate computers

EAG model 6114-1

Post by dedicate computers »

According register, Elite Avant Garde Vers. 1, 2265 = RAM 128, Mhz 16 68000, no learning never was released! I think is easy to check.
You can see reading the page 24 - instruction manual EAG, there is also a test recommended in the manual to make sure about the function "learning feature".
Steve B
Site Admin

Re: Was I ROBBED or am I wrong?

Post by Steve B »

chesspcmac wrote:
Now.....24 years later Im checking and playing with my Elite Avant garde V2 when I checked the Model number and is: 6114

Serial number is 92230474

I did Mr Steve little trick pressing the TB key and it shows FD5C-49AC
So what do I have????
Should a version 2 be 6114-2 or simply 6114?
I saw Some of Steve's pics and I saw that he has 6114-3, 6114-4, 6114-5 ...well you get the idea....Steve has everything and in duplicates!!

Mike
Hi Mike
i have the V2,V4,V5,V6 and V9...no V3

the normal model label for a V2 is 6114...not 6114-2
My V2 label is 6114
for the V4 its 6114-4...etc

the same for the V6..Model label is 6117(not 6117-6)
you can see the V6 label on my site
for the V9 the label is 6117-9

Dedicate's answer is correct
the V1 was never released for sale
check the solve times for the position in the manual to see if your computer solves it faster ..
make sure to clear the memory and reset the computer before you do the test

if you did have a V1 then you have an extremely rare computer and you should thank the PBM guy...and count your lucky stars
:P

V1 sighting Regards
Steve
chesspcmac

Post by chesspcmac »

Thanks Dedicate and Steve, I feel much better now. I will follow Dedicate's instructions to make sure I have the V2.
Thanks again guys, I feel bad I thought bad of the PBM guy :oops:

sorry, regards

Mike
"Sir, the slowness of genius is hard to bear, but the slowness of mediocrity is insufferable"

Henry Thomas Buckle