Dedicated Chess Computer Test Scores

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

spacious_mind wrote:
blaubaer wrote:Hi Nick,

who is the official owner of the Gideon R30 software?

Regards,
Michael
Hi Michael

As I mentioned in the post. There are three official owners of the R30 Gideon software as a result of the auction. Micha, Christian and myself, meaning officially all three would have to agree what happens with the software itself. I quite like this statement as any of us could pursue it should anything untoward be happening with the software. Meaning unauthorized ROM sales for example.

Ed sold his rights to that ROM when he auctioned it off and got paid for it. It is that simple.

Best regards
I dunno ..seems like a raw deal for you
you paid 1/3 the price and wind up with only a copy of the Eprom like any stiff stumbling in off the street

I imagine the rush and excitement has died down a bit with the Gideon Eprom so there is no need for it to still be in the possession of only one of you three ..merely because the one person has an eprom copier
I suggest the original Eprom now be circulated between you three on a tri-annual basis

Possession Is Everything Regards
Steve
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Steve B wrote:
spacious_mind wrote:

Regards,
Michael
Hi Michael

As I mentioned in the post. There are three official owners of the R30 Gideon software as a result of the auction. Micha, Christian and myself, meaning officially all three would have to agree what happens with the software itself. I quite like this statement as any of us could pursue it should anything untoward be happening with the software. Meaning unauthorized ROM sales for example.

Ed sold his rights to that ROM when he auctioned it off and got paid for it. It is that simple.

Best regards
you paid 1/3 the price and wind up with only a copy of the Eprom like any stiff stumbling in off the street

I imagine the rush and excitement has died down a bit with the Gideon Eprom so there is no need for it to still be in the possession of only one of you three ..merely because the one person has an eprom copier
I suggest the original Eprom now be circulated between you three on a tri-annual basis

Steve
LOL... not really Steve. Micha has done a fantastic job making of it available to anyone who has an R30 and can play it. That was the intent of the coalition. Everyone who could, should play it in how the creator intended it to be played.

I don't need the original ROM in order to kick up a fuss should it be sold by someone else on Ebay or used by someone else untowardly :P

All and any R30 owners who want it can get it to play on their R30 assuming it will work!

Best regards
Nick
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

spacious_mind wrote:
I don't need the original ROM in order to kick up a fuss should it be sold by someone else on Ebay or used by someone else untowardly :P
well I guess its just me but I would be eager to have the original eprom in my hands at least once before I died..

anyway ...
I see the coalition partners have a procedure in place where each can closely watch after the actions of the other...

Trust But Verify Regards
Steve
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Steve B wrote:
spacious_mind wrote:
Steve B wrote:
spacious_mind wrote:

Regards,
Michael
Hi Michael

Best regards

Steve
LOL... not really Steve. Micha has done a fantastic job making of it available to anyone who has an R30 and can play it. That was the intent of the coalition. Everyone who could, should play it in how the creator intended it to be played.

All and any R30 owners who want it can get it to play on their R30 assuming it will work!

Best regards
I see
so the coalition partners have a procedure in place to where each can watch after the actions of the other...

Trust But Verify Regards
Steve
No procedure needed. It is all about trust, after all it is not as if there are thousands upon thousands of R30 owners. The ROM is pretty much given away for free, other than maybe a very small charge for the cost of a ROM, burning and shipping. If there is a charge at all. The intent was never about making money on it. The intent was making it available to not only ourselves but all R30 owners who wanted it to play.

Not everyone cares about making a quick buck. We didn't when we bought it and still don't. It is for this reason I would be irritated if some other party were to sell the ROM on Ebay. As I am sure Micha and Christian would be too.

For me it is all about proper and authentic preservation and use of the program as nature intended it.

Best regards
Nick
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

I just completed the tests with Mephisto Berlin Pro:

MEPHISTO BERLIN PROFESSIONAL - 1994 - RICHARD LANG

Mephisto Berlin Pro has a 32 bit 68020 processor running at 24 Mhz. The program inside Berlin Pro is Richard Lang's Genius 2 program that was also more famously sold as a DOS program. Genius 2 won the 1993 World Chesscomputer Championship. Berlin Pro has 256 KB ROM and 1024 KB RAM.

MEPHISTO BERLIN PROFESSIONAL TEST RESULT

Mephisto Berlin Pro score ELO 2253 in the tests. That actually closely matches Schachcomputer.Info's Tournament rating of ELO 2255 and SSDF's 1994 rating of ELO 2247.

Like all tested Lang's, test game 4 is it's nemesis for a better score.

Best regards
Nick
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Here are the completed test results for Mephisto Berlin Pro London.

MEPHISTO BERLIN PRO LONDON UPGRADE - 1996 - RICHARD LANG

The London upgrade was never sold officially by Mephisto. Richard Lang made the upgrade available for 68000, 68020 and 68030 computers. If you have modules of Almeria, Portorose, Lyon or Vancouver for any of the above computer hardware, as well as Genuis 68030, Berlin 68000 or Berlin Pro 68020, then you should still be able to obtain the London upgrade ROM from Richard Lang directly at:

http://chessgenius.com/

Just like the Mephisto Berlin Pro, the London upgrade is a 32 bit 68020 processor with 256 KB ROM and 1024 KB RAM. Both Berlin Pro and London upgrade also have same opening library of 180,000 half-moves.

MEPHISTO BERLIN PRO LONDON UPGRADE TEST RESULT

Mephisto Berlin Pro London Upgrade finished with a rating score of ELO 2259, which is 6 ELO points better than achieved by Mephisto Berlin Pro. The Active style setting was used for the above test. With the London upgrade you do have the option of setting the game styles to Solid, Active or Risky chess.

Best regards
Nick
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

I just completed Mephisto Montreux with the Active style setting.

MEPHISTO MONTREUX - 1995 - JOHAN DE KONING

Mephisto Montreux has a 14 MHz 32 bit ARM6 processor with 256 KB ROM. The RAM can be expandable and from 128 KB to 512 KB or 2048 KB, just like the Saitek Risc 2500. This Montreux has 2048 KB RAM which with the additional RAM for Hash, should help it a little more in endgames.

MEPHISTO MONTREUX TEST RESULT

Mephisto Montreux score ELO 2354 in these tests, which is very impressive. As with the Saitek Risc 2500, it has 5 style settings which allows for a lot variation. Active style setting was used in this test. The other style settings are Defensive, Solid, Normal and Offensive.

Best regards
Nick
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Here are the test results for Mephisto TM London.

MEPHISTO TM LONDON - 1996 - RICHARD LANG

Mephisto TM London is a 36 MHz 32 Bit 68030 program with 256 KB ROM and 2048 KB RAM. It was released as an upgrade by Richard Lang in 1996.

MEPHISTO TM LONDON TEST RESULT - ACTIVE STYLE SETTING

I tested all the play styles. Active style setting scored the best with ELO 2329.

MEPHISTO TM LONDON TEST RESULT - SOLID AND RISKY STYLE SETTINGS

Risky style scored ELO 2242 whereas Solid style scored ELO 2241. This I think clearly shows that Active style is the best style setting for TM London. Same probably also applies to most if not all other Lang programs.

Best regards
Nick
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Here are the test results for Mephisto TM Lyon.

MEPHISTO TM LYON - 1991 - RICHARD LANG

The specifications are of course the same as the other TM specifications. 32 Bit 32 MHz 68030 process with 128 KB ROM and 2048 KB RAM.

MEPHISTO TM LYON TEST RESULT

Mephisto TM Lyon finished with a score of ELO 2309.

Best regards
Nick
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Here is the test result for Mephisto TM Vancouver.

MEPHISTO TM VANCOUVER - 1992 - RICHARD LANG

The specifications for TM Vancouver are the same as the other TM specifications. 32 Bit 32 MHz 68030 process with 256 KB ROM and 2048 KB RAM.

Actually there is difference in the ROM:

TM Vancouver & London = 256 KB ROM
TM Portorose & Lyon = 128 KB ROM

MEPHISTO TM VANCOUVER TEST RESULT

Mephisto TM Vancouver finished with the best rating amongst the Tournament Machines with an ELO 2331.

Here is how they stand amongst themselves:

MEPHISTO TOURNAMENT MACHINES RESULTS

There are only 34 ELO points between top rated Mephisto TM Vancouver and bottom rated Mephisto TM Portorose!

Best regards
Nick
Dave C

Post by Dave C »

Hi Nick,

Excellent updates! I was a little surprised that the London did not score a little higher than the Vancouver TM. I mistakenly assumed each update from Mr. Lang would result in a slight (or more) increase in strength. Is there some other aspect to playing that the London excels at that is not evident in these tests? Also interesting to see how hard it is to make significant ratings increases from a strictly software prospective. A few points here and a few points there...

Very informative and interesting results....thanks.
Dave
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Dave C wrote:Hi Nick,

Excellent updates! I was a little surprised that the London did not score a little higher than the Vancouver TM. I mistakenly assumed each update from Mr. Lang would result in a slight (or more) increase in strength. Is there some other aspect to playing that the London excels at that is not evident in these tests? Also interesting to see how hard it is to make significant ratings increases from a strictly software prospective. A few points here and a few points there...

Very informative and interesting results....thanks.
Dave
Hi David,

London is the most passive of all the Lang's. Supposedly it improves at longer time settings. But I am not sure if that is 100% proven yet, since no one really plays enough games at tournament level to absolutely be able to convincingly prove it. There really is not that much difference in strength between Vancouver and London. Lyon also has its day as you can see from the 1992 CCR rating where Lyon shows higher than Vancouver. Even at Schachcomputer.Info for a long time if you have been observing the Active List over the past 10 years the Lang's with Lyon, London and Vancouver flip and flop. In the past Lyon was rated higher than Vancouver and now it is Vancouver over Lyon, same with London.

Unlike humans, when you play games, the opening book moves are randomly picked by the computer out of its tournament book. With that in mind it is possible to have a sequence of a dozen games where a computer picks really bad openings for itself and its rating drops and vice versa its rating increases. So for dedicated computers, all rating lists are a little fluid and best used as good guides, but not as absolutes.

Same with the above tests. With only 5 tested games TM Vancouver completes the tests better than TM London. The next 5 different tests could flip this around.

I would say that Mephisto Genius is the strongest overall, of all the 68030 computers.

Below is a Revelation Tournament that was completed a couple of years ago where each computer played 2 games against everyone, 62 games in total for each computer.

As you can see Revelation Vancouver finished higher than any of the TM's with the exception of TM Vancouver, yet it scores 122 ELO points less in my tests and 121 ELO points less than TM London.

Here are the results from the same tournament with the TM's playing each other twice:

TM Lyon finished clearly first over TM London and TM Vancouver.

Below is another comparison by adding both Mephisto Genius and Mephisto Genius London:

Now Mephisto Genius finishes first by a clear margin.

Here is another list from the same Tournament with all the Revelation Lang's added as well:

And Mephisto Genius wins it by 1/2 point over Mephisto Genius London, Revelation Vancouver and TM Vancouver.

Take away the Lang results from the overall Tournament score and they performed as follows against other computers, which again other than Genius showing best again, does shows different standings for the rest.

1. Mephisto Genius - 44.5 - 17.5 = 27 points out of 36.
2. Mephisto TM Vancouver - 42.5 - 17 = 25.5 points out of 36.
3. Mephisto TM London - 39 - 15.5 = 23.5 points out of 36.
4. Mephisto Genius London - 40 - 17 = 23 points out of 36.
4. Revelation Vancouver - 40 - 17 = 23 points out of 36.
6. Revelation Lyon - 37 - 14.5 = 22.5 points out of 36.
7. Mephisto TM Lyon - 36 - 14.5 = 21.5 points out of 36.
7. Revelation London - 36 - 14.5 = 21.5 points out of 36.
7. TM Portorose - 34.5 - 13 = 21.5 points out of 36.
10. Revelation Portorose - 26.5 - 11 = 15.5 points out of 36.

Is Mephisto Genius really the strongest? Probably based on all the above scenarios. Regarding the rest of them it is still very fuzzy between Vancouver, London and Lyon.

Best regards

PS. ... Resurrection Ruffian finished a lowly 8th in the mammoth tournament yet in the Schachcomputer.Info list it shows up as 2nd. As I said things change all the time and everything is just a guide in the end.
Nick
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

spacious_mind wrote:

London is the most passive of all the Lang's. Supposedly it improves at longer time settings. But I am not sure if that is 100% proven yet, since no one really plays enough games at tournament level to absolutely be able to convincingly prove it.

I would say that Mephisto Genius is the strongest overall, of all the 68030 computers.
Well Selective search has certainly played enough games at the longer time controls
their last published list with the numbers of game played was in April 2005

Games played for the Lang 030 modules...
London -354
Genius -676
Lyon-873
Portorose-515
Vancouver-698

The Last published rating list was in 2013 and shows the following ratings

London-2301
Genius-2292
Lyon-2265
Portorose-2256
Vancouver-2245

Slight but consistent program improvements with each new upgrade

Selective Search Sends Its Regards
Steve
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Steve B wrote:
spacious_mind wrote:

London is the most passive of all the Lang's. Supposedly it improves at longer time settings. But I am not sure if that is 100% proven yet, since no one really plays enough games at tournament level to absolutely be able to convincingly prove it.

Well Selective search has certainly played enough games at the longer time controls
their last published list with the numbers of game played was in April 2005

Games played for the Lang 030 modules...
London -354
Genius -676
Lyon-873
Portorose-515
Vancouver-698

The Last published rating list was in 2013 and shows the following ratings

London-2301
Genius-2292
Lyon-2265
Portorose-2256
Vancouver-2245

Slight but consistent program improvements with each new upgrade

Selective Search Sends Its Regards
Steve
Well it seems that they have Vancouver rated lowest, which can't be exactly right either.

Best regards
Nick
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

spacious_mind wrote: Well it seems that they have Vancouver rated lowest, which can't be exactly right either.

Best regards
rating was based on 698 games played
hard to get more accurate then that

Statistical Regards
Steve
Last edited by Steve B on Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:29 am, edited 2 times in total.