Dedicated Chess Computer Test Scores

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Steve B wrote:
spacious_mind wrote:
Steve B wrote:
spacious_mind wrote:

London is the most passive of all the Lang's. Supposedly it improves at longer time settings. But I am not sure if that is 100% proven yet, since no one really plays enough games at tournament level to absolutely be able to convincingly prove it.

I would say that Mephisto Genius is the strongest overall, of all the 68030 computers.
Well Selective search has certainly played enough games at the longer time controls
their last published list with the numbers of game played was in April 2005

Games played for the Lang 030 modules...
London -354
Genius -676
Lyon-873
Portorose-515
Vancouver-698

The Last published rating list was in 2013 and shows the following ratings

London-2301
Genius-2292
Lyon-2265
Portorose-2256
Vancouver-2245

Slight but consistent program improvements with each new upgrade

Selective Search Sends Its Regards
Steve
Well it seems that they have Vancouver rated lowest, which can't be exactly right either.

Best regards
rating was based on 698 games played
hard to get more accurate then that

Statistical Regards
Steve
Hard to believe that all those games were played at tournament level. Is there a list opponents played and amount of games played against each of the opponents. Are you sure this is not a combined list of all games irrespective of time?

You know me by know, if I can't see it and study it, I don't buy into it :)

And neither should you as there is no way that Vancouver is worse than Portorose! :)

Best regards
Nick
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Ok I will give you an example why I am asking for a list of games played. If TM Vancouver played a lot of games against DOS programs between the years 1992 - 1995 and TM Lyon and TM Portorose being earlier programs did not, then you have a skewed rating. Regarding London and Genius, that's harder to argue as it makes sense.

Best regards
Nick
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

it might be hard for you to believe but it is so

Selective Search has been a highly respected paid subscription rating list since 1985.it was ciruclated worldwide
Eric Hallsworth has the games and details i dont
i do know that he used a minimum of 1 minute per move for games to make his rating list..with many games at 40/2 i dont know the exact time controls for each game and every computer

you dont like to believe facts if they dont conform to statements you make
its not so impressive when you do that

Way It Is Regards
Steve
Last edited by Steve B on Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Steve B wrote: you dont like to believe facts if they dont conform to statements you make

Sorry Regards
Steve
Well we disagree here.. The lists I look at have games behind them and time settings and opponents and everything I post here or elsewhere is shared so that absolutely anyone can follow it and critique it to death if they want to. That's the whole point of sharing and posting.

But to initially say it is TM setting but now 1 minute games are included and then add to that no idea of opponents you have to agree it makes it all a little harder to visualize the results posted.

Eric's list may be 100% right, but it wouldn't hurt to share the criteria behind them so that everyone can follow it. I am not even asking for games (if they are proprietary) just who played who and at what time settings.

At the moment you have thrown out some numbers with nothing behind it. It is like telling me to believe CCR's 2450 ELO's for those computers as posted in 1992. Interesting perhaps but certainly different to today's ELO's.

Best regards
Nick
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

spacious_mind wrote:

At the moment you have thrown out some numbers with nothing behind it.
Best regards
That would be up to Eric not me
you made a statement about there not being alot of games played and i just showed you there were
the fact that you refuse to believe the information from a highly respected source in existence for 30 years because you cant personally review it is nothing short of ridiculous

if the situation was reversed i would have said
thanks Nick i didnt know that information

but thats just me i guess Regards
Steve
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Steve B wrote:
spacious_mind wrote:
Steve B wrote: you dont like to believe facts if they dont conform to statements you make

Sorry Regards
Steve
Well we disagree here.. The lists I look at have games behind them and time settings and opponents and everything I post here or elsewhere is shared so that absolutely anyone can follow it and critique it to death if they want to. That's the whole point of sharing and posting.

But to initially say it is TM setting but now 1 minute games are included and then add to that no idea of opponents you have to agree it makes it all a little harder to visualize the results posted.

Eric's list may be 100% right, but it wouldn't hurt to share the criteria behind them so that everyone can follow it. I am not even asking for games (if they are proprietary) just who played who and at what time settings.

At the moment you have thrown out some numbers with nothing behind it. It is like telling me to believe CCR's 2450 ELO's for those computers as posted in 1992. Interesting perhaps but certainly different to today's ELO's.

Best regards
That would be up to Eric not me
you made a statement about there not being alot of games played and i just showed you there were
the fact that you refuse to believe the information from a highly respected source in existence for 30 years because you cant personally review it is nothing short of ridiculous

if the situation was reversed i would have said
thanks Nick i didnt know that information

but thats just me i guess Regards
Steve
My disbelieve is centered around TM Vancouver and TM Portorose. Are you serious in buying into TM Portorose being stronger than TM Vancouver.

You have to be kidding Steve. If I were to have made that statement (and you didn't have that list from selective search) then you would have absolutely been the very first person to pounce on it and question it. so don't state otherwise! :P

So what do you want me to do? Play 12 games between Porto and Vancouver? Test them all at 3 minutes? or just move on? :)

Seeing is believing... regards
Nick
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

spacious_mind wrote:
My disbelieve is centered around TM Vancouver and TM Portorose. Are you serious in buying into TM Portorose being stronger than TM Vancouver.
the difference in their ratings is 11 elo
hardly what i would call a "stronger" program
it is statistically meaningless
if the ratings was reversed then you would be OK with the rating lists?
no...since the lists directly contradict the statements you made we would now be debating some other reason why you dont believe them

anyway...here is the SSDF rating for the Van 030 and Portorose 030

223 Mephisto Portorose 68030 36 MHz 2140 43 -38 407 77% 1930

225 Mephisto Vancouver 68030 36 MHz 2128 36 -33 471 71% 1972

combined total of 878 games played
they have the Porto rated 12 Pts higher
now what was that you said about no one having played enough games at tournament time controls?

no wait wait
dont tell me..you dont believe them either
:)
spacious_mind wrote:
So what do you want me to do? Play 12 games between Porto and Vancouver? Test them all at 3 minutes? or just move on? :)
play 515 games with the Portorose and 698 games with the Van and then get back to me

Time to move on Regards
Steve
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Steve B wrote:
spacious_mind wrote:
the difference in their ratings is 11 elo
hardly what i would call a "stronger" program
it is statistically meaningless
if the ratings was reversed then you would be OK with the rating lists?
no...since the lists directly contradict the statements you made we would now be debating some other reason why you dont believe them

anyway...here is the SSDF rating for the Van 030 and Portorose 030

223 Mephisto Portorose 68030 36 MHz 2140 43 -38 407 77% 1930

225 Mephisto Vancouver 68030 36 MHz 2128 36 -33 471 71% 1972

combined total of 878 games played
they have the Porto rated 12 Pts higher
now what was that you said about no one having played enough games at tournament time controls?

no wait wait
dont tell me..you dont believe them either
spacious_mind wrote:
play 515 games with the Portorose and 698 games with the Van and then get back to me

Time to move on Regards
Steve
As I said I need to see the who played who. It wouldn't matter to you if I played a 1000 games each with them you would still not accept it so what's point.

What you have just posted confirms that they do not play the same opponents.

Larry Kaufmann's 1995 rating is the CCR:

I guess he was wrong as well. 49 points better.

Need to see the who played who regards
Nick
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

spacious_mind wrote: Larry Kaufmann's 1995 rating is the CCR:

so you think the Sparc is stronger then the Porto 030 based on Kaufmans list?

Kaufmans lists are not wrong
they are simply not intended to show a rating at long time controls
while the SS lists and SSDF lists were
Kaufmans lists were intended to show a blended rating culled from other rating lists and combining them with results of games with faster time controls
His ultimate rating is a mean of different ratings ...
so we see columns from Selective search(CCNS)
PLY is the SSDF
the 30' column is a rating obtained in 30 sec /avg games
etc..etc

i think Kaufmans approach was an interesting one but again never intended to rate computers at the longer time controls

also Kaufman hardly ever reprinted any games in the issues of CCR so i guess that blows his list out of the water in your view anyway

Mix N Match Regards
Steve
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Steve B wrote:
spacious_mind wrote: Larry Kaufmann's 1995 rating is the CCR:

Kaufmans lists are not wrong
they are simply not intended to show a rating at long time controls
while the SS lists and SSDF lists were
the CCR lists are intended to show a blended rating culled from other rating lists and combining them with results of games with faster time controls
His ultimate rating is a mean of different ratings ...
one of the columns is from Selective search(CCNS)
PLY is the SSDF
the 30' column is a rating obtained in 30 sec /avg games

i think Kaufmans approach was an interesting one but again never intended to rate computers at the longer time controls

Min N Match Regards
Steve
Ok lets ask the question differently. You do agree that Portorose has 1024 KB RAM and Vancouver, Lyon and London have 2048 KB RAM.

At Schachcomputer.Info:

TM Vancouver = ELO 2333
TM Portorose = ELO 2271

That's a difference of 62 ELO. The speed doubling factor between 30 seconds and 180 seconds is a factor of 2.5. Meaning Portorose would have to outperform Vancouver at tournament level by 62 + 18 = 80 ELO points or 32 ELO per doubling.
That would also mean that Vancouver would actually stay stagnant and improve by nothing its strength of play while Portorose performs fantastically. Does that sound realistic? When in fact Vancouver has double the RAM which should naturally mean that at a longer time period it should improve its performance when compared to Portorose. It would also mean that two versions and 2 years later Lang brings out a program that has gone backwards?

The same argument cannot be said for London, Vancouver and Lyon as they all have the same hash therefore I would not necessarily fight it if Lyon were for example stronger than Vancouver. With London we know that Lang tried to build into it more intelligence but at the same time made its style more passive so it is hard to say what improvements there are. They are not seen at 30 seconds per move so clearly but maybe at 3 minutes they kick in therefore you don't see me arguing with you here if London proves to be stronger than even Genius.

The ratings at Schachcomputer.Info come from games where with Portorose I played probably 75% of those games and with Vancouver more than 50% of those games as most of them stem from the Revelation Tournament.

The conditions of the Revelation tournament were 32 top rated programs each played each other 2 twice, meaning that every single opponent played the same opponent resulted in a TM Vancouver rating of ELO 2363 and TM Portorose rating of ELO 2268.

With that same logic of hash difference, TM Portorose would have to catch up 95 ELO points at tournament level against these same common top flight opponents or 38 Points per doubling. And that is not going to happen with its inferior hash.

I must have played 150+ plus hours of chess with each of these two computers or if you wish one month of work for each of them so therefore I seriously doubt that anyone knows their playing abilities better than I do, because I have done the labor and not just assumed from some lists.

Best regards
Nick
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Steve B wrote:
Of course not but isn't CCNS Eric's List? :P

best regards
Nick
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Nick
this is becoming silly
you made a few statements which i have shown to be incorrect
1)not many games were played for the TM 63030's at long time controls

proven wrong..
the combined tests of the SSDF and SS represent over 1000 games played with the Porto and the same for the Van at tournament time

2)the fact that the Porto was rated higher then the VAN by SS is wrong and therefore discredits his list

proven wrong as i showed you how the SSDF independently came to virtually the same conclusion

herein lies the difference between you and me(and i think virtually ever other hobbyist who has been following the hobby for as long as i have)

i respect what they have reported without the need to personally inspect every game

Nuff Said Regards
Steve
Last edited by Steve B on Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

spacious_mind wrote:
Steve B wrote:

best regards
yeah so?
Eric shows the Sparc rated lower 2393
VAN 2420

List Reading 101 Regards
Steve
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Steve B wrote:
spacious_mind wrote:
Steve B wrote:

best regards
yeah so?
Eric shows the Sparc rated lower

List Reading 101 Regards
Steve
LOL Steve, it is just a list like any other. Useful as well, but like any other list including my rating test it is no better and no worse every list has its peculiarities.

As I have repeatedly said it would be nice to spend a few hours studying who played who to make sense of his list like any other list.

Best regards
Nick
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Steve B wrote:Nick
this is becoming silly
you made a few statements which i have shown to be incorrect
1)not many games were played for the TM 63030's at long time controls

proven wrong..
the combined tests of the SSDF and SS represent over 1000 games played with the Porto and the same for the Van at tournament time

2)the fact that the Porto was rated higher then the VAN by SS is wrong and therefore discredits his list

proven wrong as i showed you how the SSDF independently came to virtually the same conclusion

herein lies the difference between you and me(and i think virtually ever other hobbyist who has been following the hobby for as long as i have)

i respect what they have reported without the need to personally inspect every game

Nuff Said Regards
Steve
Hi Steve,

Yes that is true that is our difference. But it comes that first and foremost playing chess is what I loved first and studying games of GM's and their Tourney tables, opponents etc, so naturally I do the same with all my computer games.

You may also call my profession in which I am good at a failing. I expect to be sold something every time someone comes to visit, my job is to ensure that value and quality is contracted and nothing less is acceptable.

best regards
Nick